Cheep Bike Challenge <$1500

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by nedodjija, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Maineroads

Maineroads Ridgerunner

Oddometer:
    Just got home with this. 1981 GPZ550. 24k. Needs some love, but it runs! $275.00!!!
    [​IMG]
  2. jpdude999

jpdude999 Rider on the Strom

Oddometer:
    Sweet! I remember when the GPz series came out. It was my first bike "crush". :raabia
  3. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Classics list Cycle magazine dyno tested at 56hp.:deal
  4. wanderind

wanderind Error 404

Oddometer:
    Got this rocket for 1400 :freaky... 2002 FZ1.. solid runner, nothing needed.. fought the streets for a while...moved it within family :evil
    [​IMG]
  5. nanno

nanno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    100 Euros, Suzuki DR250, '84 model:

Morning shot:

[​IMG]

8 hours and a freshly overhauled engine later:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Spotted this KLR in the 'hood while walking the dog. Kept my eye on it for a year or so and finally saw the owner next to it one day. He'd been injured at work and could not be seen riding a motorcycle and he wanted money to go back to school. $500.00, including a new extra tank and some extra plastic, manual and a Battery Tender. Took a battery to get it running and a rear turn signal (tipover) to pass inspection.

Rode it for a few months before it was stolen out of my driveway with two locks on it. Recovered four days later, missing some parts and with butchered wiring, I got it running again but it was never the same. Actually made money on it when I sold it with full disclosure. Wouldn't mind having another.

https://picasaweb.google.com/bike2vcu/KLR?authkey=Gv1sRgCOLalcHqpPSAWA#5634834296259333538
  7. Cereal KLR

Cereal KLR Wall of Sound Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tow yard special Katana 1100, guy was clocked @ 130 with no license/insurance/brains $400.00

Attached Files:

8. Cereal KLR

Cereal KLR Wall of Sound Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last minute deal from a guy leaving the country 1999 Yamaha R1 $1500.00 Stupid fast and just as uncomfortable.

Attached Files:

9. leakypetcock

leakypetcock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked this up last week, $350 and the guy delivered it. It was missing the windshield and right side cover, he dropped them off a couple days later! Carbs gummed up but I've got them cleaned up already. Just waiting on new bowl gaskets from my local dealer. This bike is as clean as they come and I'll have about $500 in it when I'm done. Can't wait to hit the road.
    [​IMG]
  10. tankshooter

tankshooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I'm breaking my lurker status. I have loved reading this thread since the start, so here's my junk to keep it going. 1983 VT500C, bought for $999. I goofed and laid it down within the first 24 hours. The first pic is with the buckhorns. The second is after I twisted them up and replaced them with ATV bar to start the slow ratting process. 27 years old and I don't feel bad at all occasionally hitting 9500 RPMs.
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:

That was my first new bike:

[​IMG]

Nice little bike!

Jim :brow
  12. jschance

jschance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked this 1988 Ninja 250 up for $140 two years ago. Actually bought it sitting in his mother's basement as you see it plus three boxes of 'other stuff' (body parts, bits and pieces). The gas tank was full of rust and even had a cigarette lighter rattling around in it.

[​IMG]

Looked like this last fall

[​IMG]
  13. ozyran

ozyran Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Add me to this group, just picked this thing up for $1100:

Before:

[​IMG]

Currently:

[​IMG]

Have not yet taken better pictures. Thus far I've removed the tank cover and tank bag and all those ridiculous decals; next will be removal of the exhaust heat shield to repaint it and clean up the pipe beneath. Not sure how I want to run this thing - would like to spruce it up a bit with some new switchgear and gauges, if it won't take a PhD in engineering to do so. Currently (slowly) revitalizing the bike bit by little bit.
  14. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Enjoyed mine while I had it. Pretty decent performance for a UJM.
  15. Seppo

Seppo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey
    this is somehow my new bike, a bmw f650 st. i got it from an american inmate who toured across europe on it. he stayed at our farm for a few days and liked it so much that he came back at the end of his trip, he did 30000km on this bike! its pretty beat up and he didnĀ“t know what to do with it. so he gave it to me for letting him stay at our place and for the help repairing it when he was here the first time (wheel bearings, electric problems and so on)
    i agreed on it, but if i ever sell the bike, or make any other profit of it, we will share it. problem is, the bike is registered in serbia, so getting it road legal in the EU is not easy. if i can get it registered, it will be used by friends and family, whoever needs a bike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i made her naked to see if the frame is ok after this long trip with heavy luggage. looks good, engine runs great. so it needs a new battery, chain/sprockets, maybe break discs and pads and a lot of cleaning and cosmetic surgery.

cheers
    josef
  16. ozyran

ozyran Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice F-model. Looks like it should clean up really nice.
  17. Seppo

Seppo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you know bikes look always better in a picture then in real. its pretty beat up, fairing is cracked on several places, the side panel was melted by the exhaust and so on. but still good enough for a beginner bike for friends and family.
  18. Dez

Dez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's my contribution. It's an '02 KLR650. I picked it up from a friend. It sat in his garage for a couple years. Cleaned the carb out and she's good as new. Even came with some soft saddle bags. This picture is after I swapped out front fairing for one from a KLR250. Its a pig but it's a blast to ride. I love reading about these deals but if I'm not careful, this is going to cause me to add to my collection. Just saw an '02 XR650L on craigslist for $1200 OBO that supposedly "needs rings". Put a call in so we'll see. Maybe a good tuneup and she'll run good as new too.:D

Attached Files:

19. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picked this up last week, $350 and the guy delivered it. It was missing the windshield and right side cover, he dropped them off a couple days later! Carbs gummed up but I've got them cleaned up already. Just waiting on new bowl gaskets from my local dealer. This bike is as clean as they come and I'll have about $500 in it when I'm done. Can't wait to hit the road.
    [​IMG]
    XJ's are great bikes,that one looks real tidy.
    Got yourself a real bargain there.
  20. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    1993 K1100RS with 75k on the clock - $500

[​IMG]

Seller stopped riding it a couple of years ago when the clutch started slipping. Wants to get another bike now but fiance says only one bike at a time.:clap

The lower half of the fairing and seat are included - done in smooth truck bed liner.

Said he's selling it for $500 so whoever buys it is sure they aren't getting ripped off.

Has funkified custom windscreen.

Comes with "soft" cases. One of the integral cases fell off and got busted up. He didn't want to pay BMW prices for parts so he took them to an upholstery shop and had the outers upholstered. 1/4" foam under black vinyl. :lol3 I must say that whoever did it did a decent job.

I'll install a new clutch plate this week and give it a complete servicing. Should be rideable within a few days...

Clean, unbranded WA title. (Now in my possession.)

I pick it up with my trailer tomorrow morning.

Yeehaw....