Bikes you didn't like nearly as much as you thought you would.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by davidji, Nov 18, 2012.

1. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ergos on my Zed are decent, but I think with a more open bar they'd be perfect. (I have wide shoulders)

Your buddies choice in exhaust is not the fault of the bike.

Buffeting? Unless he changed from the stock windscreen, I don't know what your referring too. Mine had none.

Non-existent gearbox :huh

Stratospheric powerband... I agree, it's awesome. :freaky

I'm 6'2" 220lb. I own(ed) a Z1000
  2. ken robert

ken robert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A new R1100RS '93 red hot beauty. Paid $10k and it had $5k in warrenty claims the first 10k miles. An instant love after two block test ride was a 919. So solid, so quick and was a do it all basic bike. Nephew has it now, never a problem.
  3. chukzelda

chukzelda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    V-Strom 1000

I found one for a killer price, setup just like I thought I wanted it and low miles. Took it on a 6 mile test ride. I didn't find a single thing about the bike that I disliked.

However, I did not find a single thing about the bike that I loved. Motorcycling for me needs to inspire me at an emotional level. It needs to blow my hair back (in a metaphorical sense). The V-Strom didn't touch me at this level, just left me wanting something else.

Lesson here is analyzing bikes from online information can never replace your gut reaction from taking a long test ride.

peace,
    Chuk
    See-Double-You likes this.
  4. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    H-D 883
    I've built 70cc scooters that would give the 883 a run for it's money. It's utterly amazing H-D can charge so much for so little. I'm convinced anyone that likes these bikes have never ridden anything else.
  5. scotty918

scotty918 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1, absolutely the worst motorcycle I've ever ridden, and I've ridden many. The bike is literally bad at everything from comfort to performance. I take that back, it sounds cool.
  6. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    +1!
    I had an Iron 883 and I hated it. Heavy front end, awkward riding position. I have a friend who only swears by Harley (he's got 4 of them). He's never ridden anything else.
    matbaugh likes this.
  7. scotty918

scotty918 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like most of Harley's line, especially the Road Glide, but the 883 is an abomination.
  8. UnsureFooting

UnsureFooting Title of User Here

Oddometer:
    The 1200 sporty is a hoot!
  9. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    I purchased my second BMW in 1985, it was a new K100RS. Loved my old R100s but the K bike was a big disappointment to me. Partly due to the performance and partly due to the changes in my needs. I quit going places and started riding in circles around the NC Mountains. My circles seem to be getting even smaller these days...
  10. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 02 VFR with GIVI bags, fancy seat, cruise control. Fantastic engine, I just was never comfortable on it and after an hour wanted to get off. Very odd since it's dimensionally similar to my 06 Triumph Sprint ST that I did 700 mile days on. Even more odd is I owned a 94 VFR that was never an issue either.

Only bike that I never missed and was glad to sell it CHEAP. I am still baffled as to WHY is never fit me :freaky
  11. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I'd wanted a CBX longer than I can remember....so when I found this one in Portland with 25,000 miles on it - I did a fly 'n ride.

Halfway back to Denver I was composing the craiglist ad and ebay auction in my head....

It was in great shape, and if it had been a standard one - it might have melted my butter. It just didn't do anything for me, and I found myself nitpicking it's shortcomings all the way back.

[​IMG]
  12. ridewv

ridewv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the Burgman a bike? If so it is my choice. I'd sell it but no one wants it. :lol3

My second choice is long gone, a Bandit 1200. Heavy, surprising lack of power, a bit buzzy, and very average handling.
  13. EetsOK

EetsOK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did and why would you say such thing? Are you trying to invoke a fight? Or do you own one of these turkeys?

14 years on and can't see any reason why somebody would buy an Indian which is still based on slightly re-arranged HD clone architecture when they could buy a real deal HD for much less money and much better parts/service back up.
  14. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    I wasn't trying to pick a fight - the post went on about how bad the company was and made no mention of actually riding it. You and I agree that it was a turkey (I actually called it crap) - I said so in my second paragraph.

Sorry if it sounded like an attack. I just figured that no one here actually thought that they would like that bike so riding it would not have been a surprisingly bad experience, more a confirmation of expectations.
  15. X1Glider

X1Glider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki Ninja 1000. Was exciting for a week having just put the BMW R1100S up for sale. More power, lighter, smaller and more agile, adjustable windscreen and equally comfy ergos for long distance touring but with the addition of the Givi side cases, just as functional as the R1100S with System cases.

123 RWHP but an utterly boring linear acceleration, an annoying intake "wheeze" instead of a howl, and vibes that are much finer but in a frequency that doesn't agree with my wrists, 4 less mpg, fully adjustable suspension that really is just ok.

Just an ok bike, IMO. It actually bores me to tears.

Though my R1100S wore Ohlins, it simply instilled more confidence and I was able to outride the Ninja everywhere I went. Traction with the same Q2s was better. Only sold it because it had 160k miles on it. But I'd love to find a new one in the crate. It was a mighty fine bike and I miss it.
  16. X1Glider

X1Glider Long timer

Oddometer:
    A beautiful bike I've lusted after since it came out. 10 years ago I found one, an '83. Tested it out. Determined that the engine simply outperformed the rolling chassis and handle poorly. I was simply in love with the idea of the bike. Was heartbroken when it didn't meet my expectations.
  17. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    I think a lot of us feel the same way about this bike. I lusted after one as a teenager and couldn't understand why all the real riders chose the CB750F and CB900F over the CBX. I guess they reality is never going to live up to the fantasy.

I test rode a Sabre 750 with that fairing and the buffeting was terrible. I guess you could add that heavy pig to my list of disappointing bikes.
  18. EetsOK

EetsOK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's alright.
    I remember the first time I sat on one, it was a red and black 1999 with the S&S engine and the double downtube frame. I have NEVER lifted a bike that felt so top heavy! I can't even compare it anything, including some of the aftermarket "choppers" that used to be so popular.
    There is nothing about these new Indians, even Polaris's 2013 (which is a slighlty warmed over Gilroy design) that makes me say "Yeah it is worth what they are asking." Wehn it comes down to it, a HD will win out every time and I am not a huge HD fan. The HD (and every other cruiser out there) will out ride, out handle and generally out perform the Indian with one spark plug out.

I HOPE Polaris is fixing this. The new engine sounds promising but a 5 second clip of an engine....what can you really say about it? Poalris does make good cruisers. Just looking at the internals of one is proof enough for me that they have good engineers designing this stuff.
  19. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might explain how I held one off with my R90 across a twisty bit in NC years ago.
  20. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    The biggest complaint of all bikes Japanese back then was, they did good in a straight line but scary in the curves. ( I remember those bikes) Euro bikes ruled the twisties back then. Today, most bikes, regardless of their origin work well, under most conditions. Thanks to Olins and others, for creating units of equalization... tp