Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    They have trails for all skill levels. ;) I'm by no means an expert, but have been there once back in February when it was muddy as hell and I survived. :evil
  2. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    The AA loop will probably kick most of our asses, but the normal trails around there aren't hard. You can choose which to ride.

I was going to go but I have to do a long OT day on Saturday late into the night, so I'm likely out. I'm gonna get out and do some back roads and trails Sunday tho, so if anyone's skipping Crow and wants to do some normal dual sport stuff feel free to join me.
  3. invisible monster

invisible monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to do some demo rides, will probably ride the 690 up on Saturday. Considered trucking the WR but that's a lot of miles at 11/gallon- haha.
  4. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    Is said 690 sporting knobs? Been looking to ride one in the woods.

Make sure you have real riding boots, they frown on pedestrian gear. There is an old pair of 10.5's in my trailer if I drive.
  5. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    In Baltimore, they were going to do that anyways! I had the misfortune of living there for 3 years.
  6. invisible monster

invisible monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 690 is sporting a new set of MT21s, just spooned them on last weekend. You are welcome to take it for a spin through the woods if you like.

I was planning to wear my usual off road riding gear so I should be good with the gear police. Thanks for the tip though.
  7. alansz400

alansz400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up Mike. Kyle needed new boots and since I had to go to the doctor in columbus today it worked out good. He also needed new pants and a jacket and we found both in his size on sale. :clap
  8. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    How's the recovery going Alan? I was thinking about editing our ride video with Kory when we were at Perry. Don't want to depress you though. ;)
  9. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Suppose I'll have to invest some $ in gear before something like this. Plenty of local abandoned roads around here to keep me busy for awhile.
  10. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    I saw the Meef's patrolling the area the last time I was there. I thought for sure Mark was going to get that crown vic stuck...
  11. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer:
    You mother fuckers realize there is a appropriate forum called "Church, State & Money" for political and societal views in the basement, right?
  12. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    +1 I kept trying to change the topic all day. :evil
  13. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we all realize it.

We talk about 20 different things that have a dedicated forum and some of them are contentious topics that can easily spiral into arguments....and sometimes do. *cough, videos*

Nobody in their right mind wants to go to CS&M, or we'd all be down there getting called names for having an opinion.

Wanna fight about it? There's a forum for that too.

:lol3
  14. alansz400

alansz400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recovery is slower then I would like. He said it looks like my bones are growing together good and I can start to put some weight on it. I start therapy next week. I go back to the doctor Dec. 5th he said I may or may not beable to walk by then that everyone heals diffrent.

[​IMG]
  15. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

here, try this:

so, MoparmanPete lent me his compression tester yesterday. It has the right size adapter to fit the XRs spark plug hole, but unfortunately its too short to reach...so I had to make my own adapter out of an old plug:

[​IMG]

and was able today to get a reading. Spec is 171-185 psi...best I was able to get out of it was 90 but mostly it was 60-70. Then I did the "wet test" by pouring some oil down into the cylinder and trying again...this time I was able to see 120 psi as the top. This pretty much told me that I have a ring problem. So I pulled the top end off:

[​IMG]

everything looked pretty good...next came the head and this is what I found:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

man, thats a lot of carbon buildup

[​IMG]

and the valve faces look about the same:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, I think I've found the problem...went by Ask and ordered a set of rings which will be in tomorrow, then I'll pull the jug, replace the rings, and after spending a good while cleaning all that crap off the piston and valves, put her back together.

As far as I can tell, theres no issue with the valves seating, but I am gonna want to compress the valves and have a look at the seats. Anyone got a valve spring compressor I can borrow?

oh, and thanks again Pete for the use of the compression tester. meant to drop it off to ya on my way to Ask, but totally forgot. By the time I remembered, yinz were closed.
  16. Moparmanpete

Moparmanpete The Cracken has risen!...maybe? NOPE

Oddometer:
    Also do a leak test for the valves, dry the valve side off and pour a little gas down each valve intake and exhaust port one port at a time. and watch for seepage around the valve. You already have it off, it's worth a quick check.

Hope you get her together soon!

Pete
  17. Moparmanpete

Moparmanpete The Cracken has risen!...maybe? NOPE

Oddometer:
    I used a loaner valve compressor from advance auto

Any time buddy!
    Thats what I'm here for, Just glad I could help.

Pete
  18. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Wow, recovery looks good but therapy will be hard. I know i was glad I started working on flexibility ASAP before therapy.
  19. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is a shit ton of carbon.

I have a Snap On valve grinder, seat grinder, and spring compressor. I even have the tools to make the stones for cutting different seat angles. We can throw a 3 angle valve job on her if you want....
  20. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    Damn alan that's some serious hardware. What's the deal with the fibula? Is it broken without hardware or just an optical illusion? Take care :thumb