What Dual Sport should Honda build next

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by itrack, Oct 12, 2012.

1. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    I don't hate Kawi...and I'm certainly not a bike snob. On the contrary, I'll ride anything

Bragging about a bike being the "best seller" because it's made out of cheap crap and sold for dirt cheap? Really?

While you guys are hoping and praying for what you think will be the "wonder bike" if only Japan would build it, there are those of us motorcycle dudes who aren't locked to one brand (or region), willing to ride the bike that checks the boxes, and are already enjoying bikes that do all the stuff you appear to be looking for:deal

Enjoy:1drink
  2. kirbi69

kirbi69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i always thought people liked honda because they are the most reliable. hardest to kill bikes out there. not because they build fancy high dollar super bikes like the euro bikes.

and alot of people like hondas way of keeping the same design for more then 3 years... it makes for more, cheaper, and easier to find aftermarket and factory parts especial on the future.
  3. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    I think it is likely that Honda will be dragged into a displacement D/S war with Kawasaki as the new Ninja is a 300 now. Of course the CRF250L is actually based on the street bike 250CBR engine. I expect it will soon be a 300 or 350 by default as Fat Americans always want bigger displacement. The CRF250L type is the wave of the future. It is more likely from past Honda practice that the XR series bikes will just disappear from the US market. Emission standards make this logical. We will likely not see carbs on any road use machines within 2 yrs. I also expect to see them build only 1 size of true D/S bike for our market much like Yamaha D/S (I think we will see the WR250R grow also). Actually a 350 was always a pretty nice size for a lot of dual-sport stuff....... before every American went to 225 lbs!
  4. mwalker

mwalker mike

Oddometer:

Speak for yourself
  5. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:

I actually weigh 175 with all my gear on and think that even a 250 is fine:D. I always think it is funny to see 280 lb. guys putting on "lightweight mufflers" or worrying about "how much bike X weighs".... Stop eating those carbohydrates America if you want your bike to perform better.
  6. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    /agree
  7. Gun Smoke

Gun Smoke Banned

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this is already been said. Now that I think about it it probably has. Anyway it's time to overhaul the XR650L. Keep it air cooled but add a sixth gear and shave 75# off the thing. Give it 20 more HP while they're at it. Honda if you're reading this keep it bomb proof and keep it simple. Don't try to be a KTM. Be a Honda and be it like a boss.

This is what the new XR600-650L should look like only with a 600-650cc air cooled motor. And Keep the kickstart. Chicks dig it.
    [​IMG]

Or this. Never happen

[​IMG]
  8. Tachedoutoffroad

Tachedoutoffroad Mr. Parrish

Oddometer:
    KTM may be making a small ADV bike.

I just hope SOMEBODY will :deal

“…the 390cc is coming which is a full faired version and the so called tour purpose version,” KTM CEO Stefan Pierer told India’s CNBC-TV18, revealing the development of future models based around the KTM 390 Duke‘s new motor. “We are talking about somewhere between 12 to 18 months,” he continues. “Every six months something will come.”
    The remarks come as part of a video interview with the channel, largely focussed on KTM’s relationship with Bajaj. You can read the full transcript and watch the vidwo on CNBC-TV18′s website.
    Last year, a slide from a dealer presentation on future models leaked, revealing both a “Moto3 350″ and an “Enduro 350.” Given that the the same slide listed a “Duke 350,” which is now the 390 Duke, it stands to reason that the two models Pierer references will take the form of a fully-faired race-rep and a sort of mini ADV or dual sport, both based on the same 44bhp, 370cc single and, given KTM’s recent propensity for platform sharing (the 125, 200 and 390 Dukes all use the same chassis), it seems likely that both models could share frames too.
    All this is a very good thing. Not only is the 390 Duke seriously light at 320lbs (wet), but it should be relatively affordable too, with signs pointing to a dollar price point in the region of $6,500.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/12/ktm-talks-new-390s/
  9. old-n-slow

old-n-slow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They already have it! Update it for the noobies or just re-release it for the old timers!

[​IMG]

Comfy seat and ergos, streetable power, a REAL d-sport vs a deturned desert rocket or mile high MXer,.....I'd buy it!
  10. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems like the new trend in street-legal ds thumpers is to see who can gain the most weight the quickest.....even the KTM's have porked up way too much over the years. The xrl650L weighs 346 wet....I've been able to trim 20+lbs off it very easily.....the new crf-250L weighs 320 wet, I believe the KLR-250 is similiar...and the Husky Terra weighs 408 wet. It seems like everything weighs a ton anymore, regardless of engine size.

What the heck happened to a dirt bike with lights that was actually FUN to ride in the dirt??

At this rate I hate to imagine what behemoth of a porker Honda might replace the xrl with :eek1

Unfortunately imo 320lbs wet for a KTM 390cc enduro with 44hp is still too heavy. The xrl engine as it came in the nx 650 (same exact engine and specs) was rated at 44hp from what I've read, and has WAY more torque, (and even more hp easily accessible derestricted) than a 390. Plus its mega easy to get an xrl down to 320 wet.

Honda along with the rest of these guys need to get back to making lightweight dual-sports, not 320lb 250's that put out 19hp to the rear wheel.......wrong direction Honda :baldy

I'm not sure if its water cooling, more complex electronics/fuel injection, stricter emmissions which equals more smog crap, or if the manufacturers just think we want tanks to ride off-road, but I'm not understanding the constant weight gain in a class that used to be intended as a street-legal dirt bike.

I think its time to bring back 2 stroke dual-sports.....just modernized.
    THAT would kick ass :clap
  11. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    It would be nice to have those comfy seats back again. Who decided that we did not like those seats? The biggest problem with the XR series is that emissions keep getting tougher and that head is at the end of it's line as far as the engineers can clean it up. That CRF250L is it's replacement type as a new,clean engine design.Honda probably still sells an XR similar to this in Asia, SA and Africa where no one cares about emissions....YET.
  12. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:
    The 390KTM adventure version is a great concept.Yes, the weight thing is difficult to accept for those of us concerned. Perhaps there will always be a weight penalty for liquid-cooling. Hopefully the extra weight emissions stuff can be pulled off to save weight. Is it the CA Regs that are responsible for the extra weight for emissions equipment?

That is a nice sized displacement for power v weight.

Now if Honda would just sell a version of the 450 Dakar with a long-hours use motor- perhaps most of us except CA could use it to travel.
  13. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:
    Yes, great motorcycle. Perhaps a modern version with liquid cooling. Cool!:clap
  14. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Wow, good idea. Just upgrade the the lousy brakes a bit, update the lousy suspension and add electric start.

Then you would have ....... an XR650L. :lol3
  15. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:
    So a (Honda) heavy KTM adventure 390 is all good then? But any kind of Honda is not ok unless it is a KTM then? Got it.:D

Perhaps they could paint a CRF450X orange add some lights increase the price to $12k, and sell a lot to a certain demographic?:lol3
  16. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps they could put a plate on a CRF450X and sell a lot to a certain demographic (everyone in this thread)?

But they won't, because they're Honda. They can make heavy motorcycles with shit brakes and suspension, and as long as they keep them red they sell.

I'd buy a red CRF450X with a plate or a blue WR450F with a plate, but those don't exist, and orange 450EXCs with plates do exist.
  17. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:
    Plated red CRF450X are for sale locally here for about $8k. I would buy that before an orange bike, but it is not really a dualsport motorcycle, still a race bike with lights. Like the orange ones...would be a pia to go down the highway on for 100 miles.

Yamaha did it with the WR250R @ $6690. It can be done. I just bought one.

It seems KTM is thinking or trying to produce a dualsport according to the above post about the 390. That is great, perhaps they could start something of a trend for the manufacturers to follow? That would be good.
  18. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not that I ever said that or even have a clue what you are talking about, but it just so happens I know something about XL600R's:

[​IMG]
  19. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    Could you please quote the post he made saying that? Thanks.

Also, could you quote the parts about the XL600R vs. XR650L that he was wrong about, that would be super too.

Thanks a bunch, and feel free to use that nifty quote button:deal
  20. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:
    Discussion, debate and rhetoric. Folks who finish 6th Grade get it, but some slobbering moron grease monkeys have trouble keeping up.

I think intelligent readers here understand the certain type of enthusiasm that some alleged KTM riders (and one big fat ass who does not own one or ride dirt) have. So that comment is constructed to serve specific rhetorical purpose.

There are smart folks here who get it. Too bad for so much distraction by slower folks who usually spout the coarser expletives as a rule...