Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. niceviewbehindbars

niceviewbehindbars out enjoying the vu

Oddometer:
    Happy Thanksgiving guys! Hope you enjoy time with your family and eat too much. :lol3
  2. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    And the same to you and yours Graham.
  3. skychs

skychs chuck smith Supporter

Oddometer:
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Its great to be home and around family and friends.

Anyone interested in riding on Friday? The weather is showing high 60's and sunny. It would be nice to get out and burn off some of the calories from today and relieve some stress. A spirited ride with some gravel would be in mind.

I have been exploring the area just north and west of Charlottesville finding a good mix of pavement and gravel. Nothing too challenging. Not WV but a lot closer and easier to get to. Open to other suggestions as well.
  4. jwray76

jwray76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cville sounds good to me Chuck...unfortunately I have daddy duty on Friday though. However I think I have Sunday free for a ride. Some of the guys over on the other forum I frequent are planning a ride for Sunday.
  5. manganos

manganos Let me pontificate.

Oddometer:
  6. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    so to speak.

This year we decided to forego the use of the conventional oven, and picked up a 22 qt. Hamilton-Beach Roaster Oven. My sister has been using a similar product for the last several years and the bird has come out perfect. We'll see what shakes out.

Still have to make cole slaw and do the final prep on the stuffing, which I made last night. Younger daughter coming over later today with her dog, Gerrard, for dinner.

We usually travel to OH to my sisters for Thanksgiving, but decided to stay put this year due the the time constraints of my daughter's class and work schedule. Looking forward to the feast later today.

And FWIW - my older daughter up in MD announced that our second grand-child would be a boy. Due in mid-April, we are looking forward to our new grandson's arrival.

Thanksgiving means many things to different people, but given the fact that all of us have a nice extended family here, and our own family to share the holiday with, it just doesn't get any better than this.

Peace be with you all, and give thanks to our Lord and creator for all that we are blessed with.

7. pplassm

pplassm Brace for collision! 40488

Oddometer:
    Happy Thanksgiving, everybody.

Now, go out and and ride this weekend, 'cause I can't. Not enough "bend" in the new knee yet.
  8. tommyhof

tommyhof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    come on down our way on Saturday.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742063

9. Wench On Wheels

Wench On Wheels RuckusRaisingRedhead

Oddometer:
    I'll be riding over the mountain early early from Harrisonburg towards that area..... where abouts exactly and what time were you looking at?
  10. JHVA

JHVA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friday AM around 10:30AM BillsburgGS and JHVA will be meeting in West Point at the West Point Restaurant on rte 33 (at the traffic light at the intersection of rte 273 and car dealership etc.) We will be on the right as you head toward West Point. We will be riding some gravel and country roads in KIng Williams, Gloucester, King and Queen Counties. All are welcome.

j
  11. skychs

Oddometer:
    Tommy .... a Saturday ride is very possible. I will keep you posted.

BillsburgGS and JHVA ... West Point area sounds pretty interesting. Not many hills over there but Im up for a new area. Count me in around 10:30.

Wench on Wheels ..... Looks like Im heading east in the morning. If you can make it over to West Point ... love to ride with you.
    chuck
  12. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. MrSandman818

MrSandman818 INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer:
    Thats not far at all. When I say Richmond area I mean I live in the wonderful city of Petersburg:rofl. I need to do a few things to my bike before shes safe to ride. My friend messed up the brake system. So I only have rear brakes.

Thanks Eddy! Yeah I have the 950 ADV. I friggen love it. Id appreciate going on a ride. Its been too long for me. Currently the front brakes are shot. I gotta order new seals and clean the brake lines, master cylinder, and calipers out. (my buddy decided to put dot 5 instead of dot 5.1. So both front calipers locked up). I drained it so there free. But I only have rear brakes right now. So its definitly sketch to ride.:eek1
  14. JHVA

JHVA Long timer

Oddometer:
    We found some serious mud today! Skychs, BillsburgGS and JHVA. BillsburgGS may have bruised a rib on one of his dismounts but he's ok. Very funny seeing water coming out of his helmet. :D
    [​IMG]

Several miles of this stuff. Some bigger puddles as well. Not much gravel. Lots of wet clay.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Will probably have to chisel this clay off!

That was a lot of fun Chuck! Thanks for showing us some keys to keeping the bikes upright through deep puddles. :D
  15. Wench On Wheels

Wench On Wheels RuckusRaisingRedhead

Oddometer:
    Started at the mountain..... hit West Point late..... 'round 1130-noon-ish..... maybe catch ya next time. :) Ended at the beach.....

Rae
  16. skychs

Oddometer:
    Serious mud is an understatement. Slippery, slimy, clay mud a foot to 15" deep is more like it. That and the 12" deep tire tracks leading into the mud was the real problem. I do have to say however, once we slowed the pace down everyone got the hang of it and plowed right through .... right side up. When I got home the wife had to wash me down with the garden hose. What a mess. If I keep this kind of riding up Im going to have to put a set of knobbies on the GS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L910Txj_-U

Sorry we missed you Wench. Had we known you were headed that way we would have waited a little longer.
  17. JHVA

JHVA Long timer

Oddometer:
    BillsburgGS (Andrew) emailed me from Williamsburg Urgent Care and he's ok. Nothing broken. Might have a hairline fracture on a rib. He mentioned that he may be up for some more punishment tomorrow ("Maybe I can ride some tomorrow"). :D
  18. skychs

Oddometer:
    Sure .... get a group and lets do it again. This time Im taking my GoPro to capture the fun.
    chs
  19. JHVA

JHVA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Return to King and Queen County. Anyone interested in some crazy slippery mud and puddles tomorrow (Saturday)?

Forest roads. Muddy. Country twisties as well with some gravel. About the only people we saw all day on the forest and hard surface roads were hunters.

I'm thinking a 10:30AM start time from West Point.

Let me know.

j
  20. skychs

Oddometer:
    I can make it at 10:30.