Noob to Trials. Which should I look for in a first bike?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by More CowBell, Dec 11, 2011.

1. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I post about elevation and you talk about throttle control. In my chair as I type I`m more tha 2000Ft higher than Ben Nevis. A 350 here is almost as strong as a 250 in england. Elevation totally kills a trials bikes power. The first time I met your buddy Adrian we were riding around 8000 ft. He was trying to drop his needle like crazy. He could not believe the power loss.:eek1 I helped him loose the clip. I was sure glad when I found it in that grass. Elevation, jetting, engine volume, and throttle control are not related subjects. You would probably hate that my son rides my 300 Raga well. He is just 14 and just starting to shine, but I`ll be damned if I make him ride a 125.
    You talk about crazy mods on the crap tlr and then laugh at one on a modern bike that works like a dream over the most modified tlr ever made is just insane!!! :lol3:lol3:lol3
  2. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was not aware that the whole of the US was 6000ft above sea level, and that this is the reason most riders favour bigger bikes, which are very difficult for beginners to ride at lower altitudes..............you learn something new every day!
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you would of read my initial post concerning elevation . You would see that I pointed out every one that liked the 125 was at an elevation that the bike actually made some power. And as a matter of fact a lot of the larger clubs in the western states ride at higher elevations. On the other hand it is hard for us to ride at a lower elevation for just a weekend event since our bikes power has changed so much. Our timing and throttle control is then all wrong. It was always fun , all of a sudden a bike you could only wheelie in fourth gear was now capable of 5th gear wheelies!:eek1
  4. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The main thing for a newcomer to trials is to master basic riding techniques. Like it or not its far easier to get the basics on a smaller bike, which means far faster progress than struggling with the type of bike which can wheelie in 4 or 5th gear, which may well be hard for a newbie to cope with!
  5. funmachines

funmachines Adventurer

Oddometer:
    With the differences between new trials riders one size is unlikely to fit all, especially when one size = 125. People sure seem to have lots of passion about what new people that they don't know should ride... I picked up a late 90's 270 gasgas and it seems fine to me although I'm 6'2"/215 and ride dirt bikes already (and mountain bikes forever).

On a different note playing around on the trials bike in my 1 acre backyard is tons of fun and doesn't annoy the neighbors or my wife. Wish I would have tried it sooner...
  6. singletrackmind707

singletrackmind707 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in the exact same place the creator of this thread was we he started it last year. I've been doing reading, checking out the local club, etc. Surfing craigslist for anything "TRIALS" and found a few deals withing my price range. But was wondering if anybody on here has any other links they could provide for finding a bike in the 2k - 3k price range.
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:

http://www.searchtempest.com/ Is a good tool for searching a large area on craisgslist. Around my area used trials bikes don't show up much and the great deals are gone in hours. I missed 4 bikes before I found my bike with a wanted add I ran on craigslist for a few months. All 3 calls I got on the wanted add were guys that just had the bike sitting in the garage and did not have plans to sell till they saw the add.

Be sure to search by brand name too. Beta, Sherco ect... I missed a KILLER deal on a "Sherco dirt bike". The guy did not even know it was a trials bike. Found it in a storage unit. $600.

I watch E-bay too but have yet to see a great deal and buying unseen and shipping costs keep me from considering a long distance buy.
  9. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Here's my old idea, after you find the neat utils to check craigslist.. I use craizedlist.org, it lets you set and save your searches, and pick which cities you want to searc. NOTE, like the site will tell you, no way around it, you have to use FIREFOX, NOT Internet Exploder, to use that site..

To find bikes forsale, one dang good resource was the "United States Trials Club Directory" that used to be on the NATC (now called mototrials) site. They removed the list and it was put on another site. I havent been to that list myself since 2010.

I believe I put the link in this thread, back when, but due to time I dont have time to hunt for the link right now, for you all, someone please look through? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486887

Most clubs have forsale pages, not all. Here is the link to clublist! http://www.trialsclubs.us/

Everyone should help out on this, if you have website and know it is not in here, or has changed, do what the page says, email someone.

Happy Hunting.
  10. bradleythomas

bradleythomas Bark Buster

Oddometer:
    Hi all. I've never owned a trails bike but i would like to buy 1. I live in northern Colorado and I have a hard time finding used trials bikes. My budget is 1500 to 2500. I saw this 1995 Beta 250 and was wondering if it was a good deal or not. I know its hard to tell from the pics but it seems OK minus the broken spokes on the rear wheel. Guy is asking 1500 bucks. What do you think? Thanks.

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/2982978392.html
  11. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes, I think that is a good price. I just bought a 96 a month ago for a little less $$. Since I got mine I have been checking craigslist nationaly - many Techno are offered at $2,000 to $1,800. I would try to offer a few hundered less. Still, at $1,500 you will never find a Rev 2 for that.

I like mine it's basicly the same engine as the newer Betas. The front is a little heavier on the Techno. As the seller told me "For a begginner the only difference between a Techno and a newer Beta is the price."

If you get it put some S3 foot pegs on it. That's about all it needs....
  12. Mike D

Mike D Corporate Cog

Oddometer:
    Obviously go look at it, and at least start it - but it looks good. (Some really helpful info there, I know. You're welcome.)

Call Bill at Balance Trials (720-207-7715). He's a Beta dealer in Westminster - he might have seen the bike before. If you ever need work/parts on/for it, he's your guy.
  13. val4215

val4215 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  14. rotorhead511

rotorhead511 Live and let live.

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the club. It's way fun.
  15. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike, congrats!
  16. BaronVonDarrin

BaronVonDarrin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Philadelphia, and at times Western Maryland
    ARISE, THREAD! *necromancy voodoo*

Would an older trials-ish bike like a mid 80s honda tlr200 be an ok trials bike to start out with? Most of the more modern and I would guess 2 stroke and lighter trials on craigs seem rare or really freaking expensive ('expensive' is a relative term folks...) There is a tlr200 from an inmate here I am interested in and would like some second opinions on diving in on it.
  17. dean-o

dean-o Dabs often

Oddometer:
    Been using my reflex in vintage " twinshock.org " events & really enjoy the bike & the club. I kinda like four strokes too.
    Very popular rides in UK & you can got wild with mods if the addiction hits ya!
    I did ride district 6 during 89-90 & lived in Cumberland, MD...
    Dean
  18. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just picked up an 03 gas gas txt 280 pro as a first bike. It's a little beat and probably not the best choice for a beginner but it worked out after a couple of other failed attempts at procuring a bike so...
  19. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
  20. 4x4junk

4x4junk n00b

Oddometer:
    I feel the need to back up Sting, I'm his current newb, I think I met him through this site on just this topic. I was buying into the smaller newb bike montra. He invited me to ride some bikes.

I rode mx tracks for about 8 years. Made my biggest improvements after dropping down from 250 2t to a 125. Learning to ride a 2t 250 as a beginner sucks, struggling with a power band. I went to a 450 after the 125 and worked my way back to a 250 2t. I got faster on a the 450 because I could control the power, got fast enough to be comfortable on the 250 2t.

So I go to Sting's thinking I want a small bike. I ride his 225 and then 300 raga and think, you gotta be f-n kidding me? The power on these bikes is so mellow the size is not an issue. How can it be? If a 300 scares you, you are borderline able to ride a motorcycle. I bought an 09 300 raga, no fw weight, stock throttle, stock head.