HIR headlight bulbs.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Anorak, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    HIR stands for Halogen Infrared Reflecting. The inside of the bulb has a coating that reflects the infrared energy back at the filament which causes the filament to run hotter and thus brighter without greater energy consumption or apparently shorter lifespan. There are only two applications available, 9011 and 9012 which can be modified to fit 9005 and 9006. I found out about these bulbs because the Chevrolet Volt uses them. I wondered why the Volt doesn't use H.I.D. lights. The HIR2/9012 in the Volt is supposed to work almost as well as an H.I.D. without the complexity and expense of an H.I.D.
    Here is an explanation
  2. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Never heard of that technology. I looked on Fleabay and they're also available in H4(9003) bulbs. (What my bikes use.)
  3. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Anorak

Oddometer:
    From what I've read, anything other than the 9011 and 9012 is fake and doesn't use the HIR technology.
  5. Yamarocket630

Yamarocket630 Long timer

Oddometer:

Typical GM "inside the box" thinking. HIRs were developed back when HIDs were ridiculously expensive even for OEMs buying by the thousand. Today OEM quality HIDs can by had from China for only slightly more than a standard bulb.

HIRs are great if you want to retrofit them into reflectors designed for 9005 or 9006 bulbs, but they are a cop-out if you designing a $40k car.
  6. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    After looking around more: Agreed, there don't appear to be any true dual-filament H4 HIRs available. Might be an interesting upgrade for something like H3 aux lights though.
  7. Anorak

Oddometer:
    Very proud of you. Any other engineering expertise you'd like to share?

Let me tell you a story, my KTM uses two 9005 bulbs which can be replaced with HIR1/9011 bulbs. Perhaps there are other people here with car and motorcycle applications that can use the information.
  8. Keyf

Keyf 5 o'clock World

Oddometer:
    When I purchased a Volvo S40 T5, I upgraded the low beams from H11s to modified H9s.

On the high beams, I went with the HIR conversion. I just changed one side and went out for a spin to see if there was an improvement. Hell YES ! I completed the other side and the amount of light compared to stock is well worth the cost of the bulbs. A HID conversion may put out more light but for high beams (where you may need instant lighting), the HIRs are the way to go.

This spring, I will be getting a HIR to replace my high beam on my Suzuki.

Keyf
  9. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Interesting to hear that they work well.

I upgraded some aux lights to HID last summer. They come right on with my high beam. I've read about this supposed HID delay and I suppose may be some sort if sub-second delay but it's not noticable so for all intents and purposes my HIDs come on "instantly" with my high beam And I don't have any special HID kit, just the run-of-the-mill kit from DDM.
  10. Keyf

Keyf 5 o'clock World

Oddometer:
  11. Yamarocket630

Yamarocket630 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That does change my opinion that HIRs on a newly designed car are a copout. You are making 75% of the light of an HID for 90% of the price. Then you are passing that cost on the the consumer down the road who will have to replace those bulbs every 1-2 years. As we all know GM makes cars for people who are too stupid to know when to turn their lights on, and so the lights will simply be on all the time.

If you haven't picked up on it by now I'm NOT a fan of GM. I hope I live long enough to see them go bankrupt again and not get rescued.
  12. Anorak

Oddometer:
    The aftermarket h.i.d. kits are illegal to use on on road because they don't preserve the correct function of the lights and are not approved by the D.O.T. For people who want more light without compromising the output of their lights and have an application that can use the bulb, HIR is a viable choice. Your opinion your opinion about GM in this thread is worthless. They have no bearing on HIR bulbs except my explanation as to where I learned about the technology. There are a number of other brands that use the bulbs as well.
  13. It'sNotTheBike

It'sNotTheBike Banned

Oddometer:

Of course this doesn't stop idiots from using HID retrofits and in so doing blinding
    oncoming vehicles.
  14. greywolf

greywolf Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer:
    Some stock reflectors do well with HID lamps and some do not. If my HIDs were bothering people, I would take them out. I have adjusted and checked the beam pattern to make sure it is not bothersome and have had no oncoming vehicles flash their brights at me.

The main reason I use HIDs is for use with heated gear. They draw less power, allowing more for heat, and they are steadily bright from 9V-16V. My heat controller that turns the power on for a variable fraction of each second made the halogen lights look like they were modulated, and badly.

I know they are not legal. Neither were the halogen lamps I used in the 1970s when sealed beams were required but legal lights back then were terrible.
  15. Anorak

Oddometer:
    And, this isn't about opinons on the quality of the conversions. It's about HIR bulbs. Your vast knowledge of optics is probably wasted here.