My bike hit a new milestone.....250k! And some ride pics too

Discussion in 'Photos' started by thirdgenlxi, Dec 10, 2012.

1. thirdgenlxi

thirdgenlxi They call me a ride whore

Oddometer:
    This is actually from back on Nov 25th, I just forgot to post it up over here, lol. Actually logged another 1200 miles or so since, heh. But anyways...... copy/paste from previous posting

=======================

Yup as the title states... the trusty old F4i rolled over 1/4 million miles today like it ain't no big thing, kept right on going! I know I'm a mile off, I was hoping to snap some pics soon as it turned but the road we were on was kinda sketchy to pull over safely so just went a little further up until we got to a parking lot. Close enough, lol. Still running like a dream!! 6 trackdays so far and counting (maybe I'll get fast one of these days.... smh)... doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little background video for those that haven't seen (since it is only a 5 digit odometer.... both times it rolled over)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZUTfpw8NUM

Then a few other pics from todays (rather chilly) riding adventures

In front of us is Old Fort Rd... Awesome road but lots of gravel spots. It used to be part of my awesome 120 mile/day daily commute through the mountains everyday that I had back in 2010 before I moved. The road behind is we took for the first time today... awesome road but turns to gravel right at the end for a short ways (less than a mile I think) up to where we're at here

[​IMG]

Stopped in Black Mountain for some lunch... friend of mine that I used to work with several years ago (she was the HR lady at the last place I/we worked at).... her and her husband decided to start their own business and opened a small pizza shop. They just opened on Friday, so I wanted to go and show her some support and check it out. Freakin' GOOOOOD stuff!!

[​IMG]

Heading up NC 80... Lake Tahoma in the background

[​IMG]

Blue Ridge Parkway

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got to the Brown Mountain overlook on NC 181 right after the sun went down. Had to get heading home after this cuz it was getting cooooold (prob high 30's/low 40's) and Scott doesn't have any heated gear so he wanted to get home before it got too cold. He's tough though I gotta hand it to him, lol

[​IMG]

Same spot but looking the other way over Table Rock mountain

[​IMG]

Then a few from yesterday (sat).... Scott and I were out geocaching as we've been doing for a bit here lately. Went for a little walk through the woods looking for one and buried in the middle of nowhere in the woods... an old house! Right past the house was a big open area surrounded completely by more woods, and there was a little hut type thing over by the trees. As we were walking past the house Scott made the comment "only thing that kinda worries me out here is that it's hunting season".... we get up to the open area and right then we hear a voice out of the hut... "trying to hunt over here". Kinda freaked us both out, we said oooookkkk and turned around and walked back the way we came, lol... never did find it

[​IMG]

So we wrote that one off and went to another not too terribly far away from that one. This one sounded pretty simple.... all the hints pointed towards steps. And steps we found! Supposedly many many moons ago there was an old funeral home here... a large part of the perimeter of the old crumble brick foundation is still there, forming a big hole in the middle of these trees! This wasn't far off the road but very much overgrown now. After looking all over around the steps, and after Scotts quote of the day, "Ummmm.... is that a skull over there??" (human.... but in his defense from the angle we were looking it really did look like one... ended up being an old white milk jug with some holes, lol), but we finally did find it. Not really near the steps prob 30 feet away under a broken end of a cinder block

[​IMG]

We had gotten kind of a late start since I had to work that morning, so it was getting late and we got heading home

[​IMG]

Then a few from Thursday (turkey day!)... it was almost 70 degrees and we both had the day off work, so why not?? Some more geocaching going up NC 181... didn't find anything here though

[​IMG]

Brown Mountain again

[​IMG]

Sunset in some kids park, lol.... this is the same spot where we found the old house in the woods above, but it was getting dark here and we didn't get that far in

[​IMG]

Went back to the house and it was foooood coma time! I must say Scotts mom is an awesome cook, lol. Even had some homemade apple pie and brownies too. She gave me a box and said to take as much home as I wanted, along with some homemade chicken and rice soup too. Certainly can't complain!

[​IMG]

Aaaand what the hell... been awhile since I posted any ride pics up so a few from last weekend too. Our first try at geocaching... this one was pretty easy and found it right away. Lots of these, like this one, are right on our normal ride routes, we just never knew they were there, lol. Kinda silly but still fun

[​IMG]

Then up the normal route... Brown Mountain yet again

[​IMG]

Up NC 80.... Lake Tahoma

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Supposed to be another cache at NC 80 and the Blue Ridge Parkway off on a little trail. Apparently last year sometime the forest service did a controlled burn and it was destroyed, said he was gonna put it back but never did find it. We did have our own little parking nook though, lol

[​IMG]

Started getting late so we made our way back towards home... with a stop at Ryans Buffet for some dinner

[​IMG]

Did I mention we like to eat?? LOL (this was actually from the night before, but oh well)

[​IMG]

I think that's all I got for now, haha. Sorry for so many... I like pictures, heh
  2. thirdgenlxi

Oddometer:
    And while I'm in here might as well post some ride pics from this past weekend and the weekend before as well, lol

Dec 1st... we head back up NC 181 to do some more geocaching (and found it too)

[​IMG]

Half our twisty roads around here are gravel, hahah. We walked this one though

[​IMG]

Didn't have a whole lot of time left before we had to get heading back, so went up to the Brown Mountain overlook to catch a sunset before heading home

[​IMG]

Sunday was supposed to be 70 degrees, so we decided to head back to one of our favorite spots that we hadn't been in a couple months... Roan Mountain right on the NC/TN border

[​IMG]

Stopped for a few at one of the overlooks on the Tennessee side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About a month or so ago there was a pretty good snowstorm up here that dumped quite a bit of snow, but with the warmer weather most of it had melted. Still some hiding out though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then this past weekend.... Saturday morning we made our way back up NC 80. Always a favorite!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was doing some more geocaching, found a sketchy bridge. Watched an 8000+ lb F-350 Super Duty truck in front of us go over it, lol

[​IMG]

We opted for the swinging bridge instead

[​IMG]

Sunday morning started a bit lazy with the wake up crew in full effect, haha

[​IMG]

But we got up and headed out.... Scott and I both love local historical stuff, so we had a few places we wanted to check out. First one is Lincoln Hill. There is conflicting stories on the actual birthplace of Abraham Lincoln, most believe he was born in Kentucky, but local history believes here was born right here in Bostic, NC (Rutherford County).... about 10 miles down the road from my house. There's a little trail that goes out into the woods, to what is believed to be the foundation remains of the cabin which they lived when he was born. Pretty neat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right at the bottom of the trail is Puzzle Creek (believed to be where he was actually born at, "on the banks of the Puzzle Creek").... but there was also a geocache stashed there so we found that, haha

[​IMG]

Then we went to check out an old mill nearby

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course I had to try out some B&W pics too, lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then headed over to South Mountain State Park to do a little hiking up to the waterfall

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was getting late in the day and Scott had to get home to go out for his B-day with his parents, so we called it a day. Fun times for sure!
  3. Brakelate

Brakelate Supermoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, Thanks for Sharing! GeoCaches can be a fun distraction from a long ride, or a motivator to go some where you normally wouldn't go. If done well, they aren't just some place to build your "Found" stats, but rather a cool place to visit that gets passed by, even by the long time locals.

Curious, is there a thread somewhere describing the maintenance schedule on your bike over the miles? I am positive all modern bikes can roll on inane amounts of miles if maintained properly and not abused, but it is funny how many people think a bike with 5k miles is "too high".

I just wonder how many tires, chains, etc. you have gone through in that amount of miles.

Good On Ya! Keep on rolling 'em on! :clap
  4. Tessitori

Tessitori Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    X2, same here ... very interested in the maintenance you have done, both minor and major, if any, would be very interesting!
  5. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    250K miles...that's awesome!

Great pics too...you're making me want to add NC to my list of places to go to ride.
  6. gueroaero

gueroaero Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics. That's a beautiful, well maintained Honda sir :) 250,000 Miles !!!!!!!!! Very nice
  7. gtbensley

gtbensley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Solid. Nicely done
  8. schlitz

schlitz the slow one

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah! :super
  9. katanarama

katanarama riding > posting

Oddometer:
    is it me or does that odometer say 50,000 miles?
  10. thirdgenlxi

Oddometer:
    That is indeed what it shows
  11. thirdgenlxi

Oddometer:
    Yea we're just starting to get into the geocaching, but finding it a lot of fun! A lot of them are right on the normal routes that we ride every weekend, we just never knew they were there and had been riding right past them the whole time, lol. But also giving us new places to explore too and do a little hiking (which we both love to do.... during the summer when the days were longer most all our rides had at least one good hike in them somewhere), so it kinda breaks the monotony of just riding the whole time

And I don't really have anything posted on my maintenance/repairs, but there's really not that much. Only kinda major issue was a trans problem back at 114k, started jumping out of 3rd gear. Ended up having to replace 3rd and 6th gears and the shift fork. Replaced 2nd too just for safe measure. Was like brand new after that. But 3rd gear has been starting to act up again recently so I'm gonna have to go back in there again here in a few weeks and do it again. Still can't really complain though. Other than that it's just been a couple CCT's, couple clutch cables, couple cooling fan blades and a motor, 2 R/R's, set of wheel bearings and axle seals, a water pump, set of steering head bearings, and a speed sensor. I think that's about it. Then the usual batteries, chain/sprockets, brake pads/rotors, etc whenever needed. I haven't really kept track of tires, chains, etc.... I don't think I'd want to know, hahah. I've tried to find ways to make stuff last as long as I could... chains, for example.... for awhile I was replacing them every 12-15k miles (made the 520 mistake). But now I've found a good combo of chain/sprockets and I'm getting a consistent 40k miles out of a set, so much better now

Dooooo it.... western NC/eastern TN is truly some of the best riding roads you'll find anywhere this side of the country. Pretty much just pick any road, you won't be disappointed. You can ride for days and days and days and never hit the same road twice, and never be disappointed either. It's awesome.... I absolutely LOVE it here... never want to move!!

Why thank you!! I do my best :D

Thanks everyone.... glad you enjoyed! I just like to ride....errr... a lot!! haha I LOVE travelling new places, and doing it on my bike even better! I wouldn't have it any other way....
  12. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    thats a honda for you! great pics!
  13. cozmo2312

cozmo2312 Canyon Carver

Oddometer:
    always an inspiration to hear this bike keeps trucking right along. also makes me miss my FZ1, haha.

so how many miles does it take before honda gives you a new bike? :D
  14. old fart bob

old fart bob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    You still have not answered the question, why does your speedometer indicate only 50,000 miles.
  15. thirdgenlxi

Oddometer:
    I didn't know there was a question..... but as you can clearly see it is a 5 digit odometer, it's not going to display a 6 digit figure. It goes to 99999 then resets back to 00000. This was answered by the video I posted in the very first post.... gotta read
  16. Gallowbraid

Gallowbraid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But he did answer the question, in the original posting.

Too many pretty pictures making all the words hard to read I suppose?
  17. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bostic NC ..................... home of the illegitimate son of Abraham Enloe and Nancy Hanks ................. better known as Abraham Lincoln.

Ride throught that area several times a month.
  18. Onward

Onward Title Here

Oddometer:
    I see from your signature line that maybe you just like high mileage. Good to see a sport bike with lots of miles.
  19. panhead rick

panhead rick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thats amazing,
  20. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    Wow, you can't read or watch a simple movie? You remember how most (particularly American) cars had odometers that only had 5 digits on them until the 90s? Same principle.