Zumo 550 tracks for UTBDR needed

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by Graniteone, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Graniteone

Graniteone 3,2,1...Beer me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Leaving next Monday to ride sections 4, 5 and 6 of the Utah Backcountry Discovery Trail. I have the map but would like to have tracks for my Zumo 550. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
  2. The Breeze

The Breeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Go to www.utbdr.com

They have a tab on their homepage where you can download the tracks................Have a great trip.....and looking forward to reading your ride report:D:D
  3. Graniteone

Oddometer:
    I would love to down load those tracks and have them work. But they are not for the Zumo 550. I looked prior to posting here. One of the guys in my group has a different style GPS and he was able to load the tracks from UTBDR. I guess I ll have to follow him. I don't' think the route finding will be all the hard to do as I was able to pick up some maps that will gives us good coverage when needed.

Thanks!
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think on that Zumo you must download tracks then it will convert them to Routes. If you really want to use tracks, get a Montana or Zumo 665.
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    zumo 550 does not really support Tracks nor can it convert a Track to a Route. The zumo 660/665 do both. Or, like Jerry said, upgrade to the Montana Series.

Have fun in Utah.

Cheers,
  6. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too bad I didn't see this post earlier. If your Zumo stores its map(s) in it's internal memory and takes an SD card, then you could've converted the gpx track into a transparent map onto the SD card. The map overlays any map you have on your zumo. Very inexpensive software to do this. http://www.gpx2img.com/ It works with Mapsource.

If you're familiar with loading maps to your gps via mapsource, then the converted gpx track can be loaded with other maps to internal memory of your gps. Remember to back up your original map first. It is the gmapprom file in your unit, or gmapsupp on the sd card within a folder named "garmin". Also back up any gmapsupp.unl files and gmapprom.unl files you see. They are crucial to unlocking original maps. If you don't iknow what you're doing here, don't mess with it. Use the first option above.

Cheers :beer
  7. Graniteone

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the above info. I ll look into it next time. We had no problems following the map and using another GPS unit my buddy had. We just finished routes 6,5 and 4 of the UTBDR. A lot of it was on my Zumo 550.

We will finish the rest once the weather cools in the desert.

The terrain is super fun and big bike friendly. I would classify the sections we rode as moderate at the most extreme. The scenery as spectacular.

Look forward to more of the same.

S~
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have Mapsource or BaseCamp and City Navigator, you could load in the tracks and then create routes that overlay the tracks and then use those. Might be a little tedious, but I bet it would go pretty fast. Actually I think BaseCamp, which is free, has an option that will directly create a route from a track.

And there might be a few instances where the UTBDR uses roads not on CN. But from what I understand they nearly always stuck to major dirt roads.

This would be a lot cheaper than buying a new GPS and learning how to use it.

Seems like if you own a GPS that it is not unreasonable to have access to some kind of software that will create routes for it.
  9. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the dirt roads are on CN you should be able to make most of the tracks work for you on a Zumo 550. I have converted large track files to a route IF IF they are in the CN steet db.

While not a "track" machine, the Zumo 550 does convert tracks to a route but in my experience one can experience problems when moving from pure dirt to mapped streets, especially if tracks are very close to a mapped street. Best to check the results on MS too...indeed MS is needed for some of these machinations so this is an exercise in trip planning prep not for the sticks.

Loaned my Zumo to somebody so can not test UTBDR tracks now. For pure dirt (unmapped) sections you may have to break some of the tracks in two as there is a limit of about 250 via points in a converted route. Based on how the internal Z550 Algorithm "magic" works on the filtered track file may be cut down even more in the conversion to a route.

One of these days I will get a Montana but until then I guess I am in to work arounds.
  10. DetourJournal

DetourJournal DetourJournal.com

Oddometer:
    I know the Zumo 550 has it's issues, and Doesn't like to convert tracks into routes. But, if you do end up going with another GPS, Maybe this will help. I'm doing the UTBDR on Aug 31, and I've modified the GPS Tracks provided by Butler Maps. This version includes, of course the main route, plus all of the additional Sites along the way:
    • Anazazi Ruins,
    • Caves,
    • Mines
    • Arches,
    • Springs,
    • Old Cabins,
    • Dinosour Footprints,
    • Ghost Towns
    • Outlaw Historical sites
    • Old Cemeteries
    • and probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting.

Let me know if this helps!
    Download it here: www.DetourJournal.com/ride/gps/UTBDR-With_Extra_Attractions.zip
  11. Graniteone

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tracks. I ll give them a shot.

We are going to finish the UTBDR in Sept when it is a tad cooler in the desert.

The northern section was great and easy to navigate.
  12. Duhfactor

Duhfactor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks,

If you download the recent version of Garmin's "Base Camp", you can click on "file" then "import", then select the ".GDB" file from the UTBDR zip file you unpacked. It will import into base camp. Then, connect your SD card, or preferrably your 550 to your computer. Then, highlight the "UTBDR All Routes 500" file for example, right click, then select "send to", then select your SD card or 550, and the files will transfer to your device, or SD card which you can plug into your device. I just did it, and didn't need to convert any files to the ".GPX" format, which is another way to do it. If you want to convert to GPX, just highlight the track, and "save as", then select the GPX format with whatever name you want to save it as. Unfortunately, that takes more time, and doesn't seem to be any better. Good Luck!! PM me if you need a little more detail.

Duhfactor
  13. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    how to convert from track to route for your Zumo..

this is a write up I did for colorado...