Sidecars- Lets see em.

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by England-Kev, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Sidecarjohn

Sidecarjohn SidecarJohn Supporter

Oddometer:
    Blimey, a low description doesn't even come close !
  2. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Why not get the style brake lever they use to have on the Honda 110 ATC's, where you pull the lever in and flip a spring loaded bail to keep it in place. When you want to move you just pull in the lever and the spring loaded bail releases the catch on the lever?
  4. Mr.Mellow's WildRide

Mr.Mellow's WildRide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. slowpoke69

Oddometer:

I know it's an old post, but you gotta give respect to grandfathers, especially ones so talented!

I need to get to brushing up my welding skills, you're the type of grandfather I want to be, and I'm getting to that age!:rofl

Some times I think growing old sucks, then I see something like that, and I'm reminded that the best is yet to come!!:D

That's one lucky kid!
  6. slowpoke69

Oddometer:
    What front suspension is that, I have a 79 CB750F/SS I'm thinking about putting a sidecar on, I kinda like how that looks. Thanks for any info, now back to our regular programming.:D
    Sorry for the small threadjack guys.
    LOVE THIS THREAD BTW.:evil
  7. bubbaone

bubbaone uraldreamer

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen,
    I have been looking for an image for years now. I was at one of the final AHRMA events in Steamboat Springs, CO, USA in the mid 1990's. Had a great time with a couple of friends. While looking through the vendor displays and collections I found an image of a rather grizzled looking gentleman on an outfit loaded with firewood. I'm not sure of the make (I think possibly Norton). I have searched many different venues for this item and have come up empty. So, while enjoying this forum the lightbulb lit and I realized no one would have more exposure or experience in this matter than the collective awareness here. Can anyone help me out? I would appreciate any leads or help of any kind. Thank you all.
  8. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Vaguely recall the pic'.

Console yourself with this in the mean time.

Africa 1921 , James Lansdowne Norton, Founder of Norton Motorcycles. Bike is a 633cc Big Four

[​IMG]
  9. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    a Friend of mine got the sidecar bug from me...I've created a monster....he's drug home 4 different sidecars in the past couple of months. Here's the latest:

[​IMG]

The "wing" reminds me of the old Jaguar racers...:lol3

[​IMG]
  10. D.Bachtel

D.Bachtel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nipomo ,,,, Where HWY 101 and HWY 166 collide!

Sweet. The fender is on the wrong side, correct?

Don in Nipomo
  11. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    I have the same car minus the wing.!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. bmwhacker

Oddometer:

Ya, I never noticed but it sure looks bass - akwards in the photo. I haven't seen the car in person yet.
    It's a Bingham (English ?) car so someone flopped the fender?
  13. Sidewise

Sidewise Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked this one up in July '12 after being without a sidecar outfit for about three years. I piloted a sidecar for about 16 years of my 47 years of motorcycling. After I went back to two wheels exclusively realized how much I missed the quirkiness of an outfit.

[​IMG]
  14. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Welcome. That is nice.

I sometimes miss my st11 outfit , but someone made an offer :lol3.

15. oppozit

oppozit Banned

Oddometer:
    It's a Watsonian "Flight" and an early one because of the "fin". The fin was dropped on later models for a standard Watsonian luggage rack (two aluminium castings bolted to the shell.) There should be a makers plate nailed to the woodwork under the seat squab with a serial number and date of manufacture. It would've originally had a 10/12" scooter wheel mounted to the brakehub.
  16. bmwhacker

Oddometer:

Ya ...Watsonian Frame # "R604" ....good call. My friend just sent me a photo of the frame stamp. I have another friend with an old "Pop Deyer (?)" sidecar which has a similar fin:

[​IMG]
  17. oppozit

oppozit Banned

Oddometer:
    Probably some truth to that as I believe Swallow (the company that originally made Jaguars) was involved in the design as they knew more about fibreglass than Watsonian who were more coachbuilders.
  18. Ryushin Kan

Ryushin Kan kancho

Oddometer:
    you'll probably get more about this but Swallow Sidecars was the original firm that started to include cars with coahcbuilt bodies as well as sidecars. They then started building their own cars using Standard engines, various names include 'SS 90' and 'SS 100' - after WW2 the use of 'SS' was a bit controversial to say the least so they changed the name to 'Jaguar Cars' - the sidecar business became Swallow Coachbuilding which packed up in the fifties was taken over by Watsonian in 1956. Early Swallow coachbuilt cars are much sought after.
  19. The Cyclops

The Cyclops Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not in the hack thread....well ever.....but I saw this and if its 205 I apologize, but this was the craziest hack I ever saw.
    [​IMG]
  20. dogtiredRAT

dogtiredRAT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My contribution.
    Cosy on a Bonnie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have been holidaying in the States for 8 months, and my darlin decided to come over and visit for a month or so, hence the hack. Still in the process of sorting it, got it very close to handling right. Not scrubbing tyres, stable, pretty neutral yadda yadda, it is a work in progress.

For anyone who is interested, I have been touring the States for 8 months on the Bonneville, knocked up 48,000 miles, been through 46 states and 5 provinces before putting the hack on.