Pikes Peak Int Hillclimb 2014

Discussion in 'Racing' started by snowscum, Apr 30, 2014.

1. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in Colorado. Cedaredge or delta or.....
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pIKQjt-e0zY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>:eek1
  3. RememberTheFallen

RememberTheFallen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! That is insane!

Lucky to not go off the side!
  4. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guy's bike is running like a dog at altitude

[​IMG]
  5. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. MotoMinded

Oddometer:
    Jeff was chatting with Guy after seeing him siphoning gas from his truck. He was trying to run 100+ octane at 14K feet. "octane is your enemy" said Jeff. Guy with big eyes, "right!"
    I was not there, this is the story from Jeff.

7. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow this thing looks slick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The V2 Rocket from Brutus Electric Motorcycles is on the launch pad, ready to go ballistic on Pikes Peak. Though it just turned a wheel for the first time a week ago, the custom-built, battery-powered bike is now on the mountain and hopes to turn some heads during the Race to the Clouds, aka the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb (PPIHC). Certainly it's an eyeball magnet just resting on its kickstand.

This new bike is a bit different from previous Brutus builds. After starting out with a throwback cruiser-style machine, the outfit then got beastlier but stayed close to its roots on Brutus 2. The Brutus V9 - a machine that company principal Chris Bell tells us is getting them a lot of attention lately - used the same platform, but added fairings and saddlebags and other interesting bits for that full 'bagger" effect. The V2 Rocket updates the trellis frame and DC drivetrain of its forebearers, simplifying things by doing away with the transmission and using a more powerful motor, all the while putting a sports bike twist on things. Think less traditional Harley, more Hayabusa.

With its 9-inch Warp motor and Zilla controller pulling power from an 11.5-kWh lithium battery pack from EVDrive, it boasts 130 electric horses, boosted by 172 pound-feet of torque. Cooling for the motor and batteries comes courtesy of air intakes on the front fairing. It also benefits from a shot of liquid carbon dioxide sprayed into the opening just prior to runs. The team reports this has been quite effective in their admittedly-limited experience to date. Exact top speed is unknown, but the bike did manage to quickly climb up to 152 miles per hour while sitting on a dyno before shipping out to Colorado. Bell believes they may be able to take it up past 185 mph with a gearing change and the white expanse of the Bonneville Salt Flats in front of it. For Pikes Peak, however, that kind of speed isn't nearly as useful as acceleration.

After an initial bit of time on the course during a group ride, rider Jeremiah Johnson told us he felt the bike's biggest challenge might be getting the suspension sorted. While dealing with a faulty bearing, the team also shortened up the wheel base by an inch and swapped out some gears, resulting in a huge improvement. Despite dropping the bike early in the day (nothing damaged that a rubber mallet couldn't fix), Johnson now says he's "getting a real feel for this bike and am really happy with it so far."
    Brutus is offering the V2 Rocket in race form beginning at $26,490.

Brutus is offering the V2 Rocket in race form on its website beginning at $26,490. A street version will also be made available later, though it will likely use different body work. The big news here, though, might be the size of the battery packs, ranging from 17.8 kWhs to 21.7 kWhs. That larger pack would probably yield something close to a 200-mile range in ordinary street riding. While prices for this later version haven't been decided, it would definitely cost more than its track-bound brother. Brutus is also mulling a naked version to show off its underpinings to the world.

You can follow the team's progress on the Brutus Motorcycles Facebook page. Scroll below for video from its first at-speed practice run. While we can't say whether the V2 will beat its only class competitor - a lighter, but less powerful bike from Japanese team EV Mirai - in Sunday's race, the gas-powered supermoto that started ahead of our protagonists in practice certainly was easy pickings.Continue reading Brutus V2 Rocket electric motorcycle set to go ballistic on Pikes Peak [w/video]

Brutus V2 Rocket electric motorcycle set to go ballistic on Pikes Peak [w/video] originally appeared on AutoblogGreen on Thu, 26 Jun 2014 07:57:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6pitKSzz2g
  8. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised he's that far off on jetting.
  9. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well,as an old noisey bike fan , I'd like to say, Go ! Guy.
    Let the gods of internal combustion triumph over the whir of electricity !
    Just one more time, let the dead dinos rule.
  10. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    I am with you bk brkr Baker, flat trackers forever!

But I will admit to being a big fan of Jeremiah Johnson and the Brutus!!
    I met Jeremiah at the TTX GP, Leguna Seca, where his own E-bike wasn't throwing out the juice and he rode a Zero instead. Glad he is hooked up with some horse power and a battery pack to back it up...

The car alarm on the Brutus is tooo funny!
  11. DomEOD

DomEOD 'murica

Oddometer:
    Bad news!

My favorite ride this and last year is the Freightliner driven by Mike Ryan. He wrecked it today off course into the trees.

pic.twitter.com/vMi8qApP75
  12. MotoMinded

Oddometer:
    That is a bummer I was looking forward to seeing, hearing and feeling that thing go by this year.
    [​IMG]
  13. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
  14. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:
    Rode up it weekend after the race and the black streaks were fun to follow...with some going right off the edge!
  15. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here we go!!!!
  16. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

Maybe someone can explain this to me. Airplane (non-jet) gas is high octane (around 100 I think) so why would high octane "be your enemy" at high altitude.
  17. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a live audio feed at all please?
  19. spezjag

spezjag Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could it be because airplane engines operate at much lower RPM than a race motor does? :dunno
  20. Falconx84

Falconx84 Lurker

Oddometer:
    Www.krdo.com

I'm listening on their android app right now

Apparently there's no *free* livestream video this year, at least not that I can find