KTM 525 EXC as an Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Karnage, Jan 31, 2007.

1. vgx

vgx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello!
    I have just got my first KTM 525 EXC (2000). Actually, my first real bike, except riding 3 years with 125cc Chinese enduro :)
    This weekend I am going to change some parts and do a lot of work to get it ready for my countries Technical Investment (I don't know if this is written correctly) and later I can post some pics.
    I'm reading some manuals, but still have a lot of questions.. for the most of them I will still try to find andswers..
    First unanswred: is there any project or schematics where an ignition key switch is added to this motorcycle? (In case I go to shop :D )
  2. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:

Congrats on you new-to-you ride. You're gonig to love it.
    A 2000 year model would be a 520 though, not a 525.
    My first KTM was an 01 520 SX. All I've owned is KTM's since then.:evil

Oh, and sorry, I can't answer your question, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that probably can.
  3. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice ride Arapaho!! Always fun explloring new areas, thats what maks this sport so enjoyable.

Yes the hills around Chiang Mai are horrific and slippery when it rains as you found out. It can be like riding on glass topped with Vaseline at times.
  4. yondering

yondering Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where are you located?

Yes, you can add a key switch; I don't have a schematic but if you get a 4-wire ignition switch, one side will be normally-open, the other side normally-closed. The open side gets wired inline to the battery, via a relay, so the electric starter won't crank over when the key is off, and the headlight won't work either. The closed side gets wired to the kill switch circuit, and to ground, so the kill circuit is engaged when the key is off.
  5. vgx

vgx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank You! Maybe I have mistaken, the technical passport says it is 525 and first registration 2000. Could the bike be older?

I am in Latvia :)
    So, ok I should get a 4-wire switch and I'll try to investigate the circuit.. I was just wondering how this could be that kill switch (as written in the manual) SHORTCUTS the circuit... So this "shortcut" has nothing to do with the battery and it is safe to keep that kill circuit engaged?
  6. yondering

yondering Long timer

Oddometer:
    The kill circuit basically just grounds out the ignition, preventing spark. It is OK to leave it grounded; it only has power when the engine is running.
  7. Bicycle Phil

Bicycle Phil Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Goblin Valley in Utah, just a few weeks ago. It rained the night before and then again the next morning. Enough to calm the dust and cool things off a bit.

[​IMG]
  8. Bicycle Phil

Oddometer:
    Utah perfection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool shots, Phil. Is that the Orange trail or Waterfall?
  10. Bicycle Phil

Oddometer:
    Orange trail.....

In 3 days of riding in Utah I saw nary a soul on the trails....the temps were quite agreeable....not a drop more than the low 90's at most.

Will certainly return to Goblin Valley/Justensen Flats area.

Had a fine day in the San Juans as well:

[​IMG]

Started the day with Black Bear, then Imogene, Engineer, Cinnamon. Camped at South Mineral CG, a real nice spot!
    Completely in awe of the scenery. Had to stop numerous times to avoid running off the road as my head was turned either full right or full left trying to take it all in....:D
  11. johnkol

johnkol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you actually ride all the way from San Francisco to Utah, or did you truck the bike?
  12. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    hi Phil:wave
  13. Bicycle Phil

Oddometer:
    Trucked out....

Howdy Mike!
  14. vgx

vgx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How is called that rubber socket for bulb which is used to hold speedometer light or high beam indicator bulb? Maybe there is a special code or keywords how can I find it? I think about think like this http://www.vwgolf-mk2.com/LED/small light/002.jpg but how to find the correct one?
  15. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    They're part of the wiring harness. I don't believe they are available separately (at least from KTM) but I could be wrong.

http://173.74.246.25/munnracing/showdetail4.cfm?search_id=331490&model=450 EXC RACING (SIX DAYS)

Look for #80 which is the flasher harness addon. It has the bulb socket for the turn signal indicator.

The socket for the high beam is next to the other bulb (#45) just above on the main wiring harness (#5).
  16. skibum69

Oddometer:
    electrical frustration with my 525 trying to piece together various circuits to make it rideable in enduro trim now that all of the rally kit is gone, sigh
  17. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    I had to deal with that shit on my 520 EXC where the previous owner completely hacked up the wiring harness. After trying to fix too many stripped and spliced wires that would probably become failure points later I decided to just get a new harness. It was around $90 brand new from the dealer, totally worth it to me.

At least she came out pretty nice for a 12 year old bike with a 25.000+ kms!

[​IMG]
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    it might be worth my while to do that, but then I'll have to add stuff for my roadbook etc. Not a big deal I'm sure.
  19. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gents - I've been riding and enjoying my 525 for many years now. Got about 560+ hours on the gal now and she's fully sorted and set-up perfectly for me and my riding style.

2005 525 EXC:

Motor
    *20 hours on new 570 piston and cylinder and rebuilt DJH head with +1 KW valves
    *100 hours on rebuilt and balanced crank w/Annular bearings
    *all bearings and gaskets and final drive shaft replaced
    * TT stator and lightened flywheel
    *SX exhaust
    *new Hinson Clutch hub coming ion the mail

Chassis

*Sprung and valved for me by KTM suspension shootout winner. SKF seals.
    * 17 degree Topar triple clamps
    *2010 complete forks available if I need them

Extras

Clarke tank
    Fan kit
    HT oil cooler
    CRT
    Hi flow water pump
    TT kickstand
    Scotts SS oil filter
    Cycra handguards
    KTM hardparts Skid plate
    P3 header protection
    Scotts sterring stabilizer
    Baja Designs Squadron lED lighting

During its last outing.

[​IMG]

This bike is used primarily for multi day/ multi week long off road rides throughout Thailand, Lao, and Cambodia. I also outfit it with a complete SM set-up, radial brakes etc for fun at the go kart tracks and thrashing the canyons.

My question is will this bike last a few more years or is it time to get the 500? Small things like electrics getting corroded are starting to appear and my concerns are am I vulnerable to components failing that I will not expect due to the hours on the bike. Ie Gearset failures, oil pump gears, blah blah. You know things you don't think about wearing out but may fail over time. Is this a rational concern? Has anybody had failures such as these?

I live and ride where I need to trust my bike absolutely. The 500 is an unknown but realistically the only thing I fear on the engine is the FI.

The suspension and brakes on the 500 will be better but not sure about the motor compared to my 570. The 500 will flick side to side easier through tree's but since I'm usually carrying 25 pounds of gear strapped to the bike will it be enough benefit for me to notice it once loaded up?

Curious on your thoughts.
  20. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would stick with the devil that you know.

also, I don't want to have to look in the 500 thread to see your photos:evil