MOTUS: New Sport Tourer built in Alabama

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Reverend12, Sep 23, 2009.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, they are in business to make money, so I too am concerned about price as it relates to my ability to possibly buy one in the future. I did get a chance to sit on the bike and talk to the guys in Daytona this year and they told me then that they expected it to be priced in the Ducati/BMW range whatever that means. If this bike costs about the same as the Multisrada or an RT then I can see myself owning one at some point. If it is significantly more expensive then I probably won't be able to do it.

I am also hopeful Erik Buell Racing comes out with a sport touring bike at some point before I am in the market again. I love my XB12XT, but I'd also love a bike similar to what I have with the Rotax motor in it.

Fortunately for me, my current bike has a lot of life left in it and I am very happy with it, so I can patiently wait and see what comes.
  2. Doug Piranha

Doug Piranha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've gone from being excited about this bike to being more skeptical after the news they plan on 200 to 300 bikes a year. I'm doubtful you could sell it for less than $30k and be profitable, even if you only had about 4 employees! Then again, from the look of the job description on their site that they want to fill, they may only want 4 employees. That person will wear a lot of hats! It's still a massively appealing bike to me though and I hope they make it.
  3. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    Anyone who was hoping for a $15k bike was not paying attention. Motus early on said it would be a premium priced bike, but not exclusive. I suspect $22-28k depending on trim level. Any higher and they won't sell very many, any lower and they won't be able to keep up with demand. People who are thinking 'They won't sell very many at $20k in this market" are very wrong. I would be thinning out my fleet just to get in line at that price.

They won't be 'charging whatever they can' either. The price they charge is one they will have to live with. You can't charge too much and lower 2-5k later or you piss off the people who bought in early. You can't charge too little early or you get a bad name by raising your prices too quick. The initial offering will be a careful consideration of ROI and maintaining the brand name. 300 bikes a year at $25k is 7.5 million dollars...That's not a bad gross income in year one. I doubt they have more than a few mil tied up in R&D at this point.

They started this project at a perfect time- engineering firms need work to do with the downturn in the auto industry. MFG firms are more willing to take on small batch projects. They have timing and a good idea on their hands.
  4. Dilligaf0220

Dilligaf0220 Miserablist

Oddometer:

I made this point earlier in the th'd when everybody was busy dogpiling them on their "timing". This is the perfect time for engineering work on the small/cheap, and that was reinforced by the short interview. You think the engineering company for the GM factory race team would've returned their call in 2006? Katech won't be making much cash off this deal, but it keeps quality personnel around that might be thinking about a move and gets them exposure until the next big deal comes along.
  5. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did anybody see the "First Ride" report on it in the Oct MotorCyclist magazine? Not too bad.
  6. kirb

Oddometer:
    Cycle World had a similar article. Heavy throttle spring, Heavy clutch. Unrefined tranny. Fueling not sorted out on the low RPM end. Not too hard to sort out for production. You have to be confident in your creation to let the media flog your machine in an unrefined state.

I am keeping my eyes open for a price, but I suspect we won't see one for at least a year.
  7. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Better to wait a year and have the primary bugs all resolved than to come out too early with it and suffer the consequences of dissatisfied owners and bad press.

I hope they succeed, but given these turbulent economic times, I remain sceptical.
  8. Boxer-lust

Boxer-lust Banned

Oddometer:
    The write-ups by Alan Cathcard;the highest paid journo-whore of the whole industry...:D
    As for the MOTUS itself I like the idea but I have serious doubts they will succed.
    Have a crank like BMW or Guzzi perfect for shaft-drive and use a chain because a shaft would be to heavy for a "sport-bike" like the MOTUS...
    They must have been smoking too much medical marihuana while out here in kalifornia...:rofl
    Or a V4 that sounds like a V8 ? More like a 1700cc Ford V4...
    I don't think Honda has too much to worry about the new american version of their ST1300 for double the money and sporty chain-drive...:lol3
    If they want to be real a bike like that needs shaftdrive,ABS,TC and better looking engine castings from day one to have a chance in todays super competitive market where money is tight.
    Then but only then they could charge an extra 20% max "patriotic tax"...:D
  9. capriccio

capriccio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Direct injection was first used in 1920's and can be a real bitch to get right because its heat sensitive, too much and you get pre-mature ejaculation, not enough and the fuel will not atomize, now add all the other variables. ST1300, Yamaha Venture and Vmax, Aprilia's V4 are great examples of V4's, the latter two are state of the art/edge of technology, the Tuono V4 is breaking hearts all over Europe, so the market for V4's is mature if Motus can keep the price from touching the stratosphere.
  10. jrflanne

jrflanne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am curious. Have you seen or heard the Motus? It is pretty impressive for a prototype.
  11. kirb

Oddometer:
    Ahh, the 'BMW or bust' guy is back.
    Shaft drives are costly and heavy. They don't add much to the mix these days. Chain allows FD ratio adjustment. Many fantastic touring rigs use chains....and EVERY real sport bike uses them or converts belts to them for race use.
    The engine sound is subjective, but only you have complained. I am not surprised.
    Why would any major MFG be worried about Motus who ~may~ be a 300 units a year outfit? Motus will pluck enough people away from FJRs, Connies, and STs to make a go of it regardless of your german snobbery.
    Who said it won't have ABS? Never saw that in a Motus press release.
    Who said it needs TC? Most riders would like to have less do-dads that could break (wait, you are a BMW fan, you like crap you don't need that breaks)
    THE BIKE IS A PROTOTYPE. Comments on the final product can only be made once it actually is a final product.

It really doesn't matter since you would never buy one anyway. We have proven that in your trio of 'what I hate about every MFG' threads. The bike is made for a segment of riders who think this is EXACTLY what they have been waiting for.
  12. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    Chains sap less energy too because they don't go through as many direction changes as shafts do.

MotUS reminds me of when Buell started up...except the target is a sport-touring rig. I wish them luck and, hopefully, one day they may build one that I may be interested in...a bit more room in the legs and less of a reach to the bars...
  13. kirb

Oddometer:
    Hmm...Motus adventure bike?
  14. DynaSport

DynaSport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having sat on the Motus and on a Honda ST1300, I was pretty suprised to hear someone compare them, till I thought about it and realized both are marketed as sport-touring bikes and both have V-4s. Outside of that, however, the bikes feel VERY different. I don't think they will appeal much to the same crowd, so I guess I agree that Honda doesn't have anything to worry about as far as the Motus taking ST1300 buyers away.

Sitting on a Motus, if feels half the weight of the Honda and much smaller. Of course I haven't had the chance to ride one yet, but I am hopefull I will get that chance at some point. Personally, if the Motus is near the claimed HP and weight figures they are making, and I think it is, and with the seat height, handlebar, and foot pegs adjustability they are promising, I would LOVE to have one. If I can't afford one new, there will be used ones on the market eventually. Besides, I'm in no hurry.

I wish these guys all the success they hope for. I am so tired of the negativism that is so pervasive when someone is working so hard to make their vision a reality.
  15. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm pretty sure the bike was designed while they were riding the prototypes through California..... :hmmmmm
  16. Glenngineer

Glenngineer Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer:
    If you mount your engine longitudinally, you deal with a single direction change regardless of final drive mechanism.
  17. scrannel

scrannel Scrannel

Oddometer:
    Love my K1200R, and the Motus seems like it may appeal to me as a sport-tourer. can't wait to check it out. As far as shaft drives, I think the day when they were an important alternative are done. For Guzzi and BMW they're more like a signature now.
  18. xtop20A

xtop20A Banned

Oddometer:
    VERY ASTUTE OF YOU !! i actually got a mild headache sussing it out !!
    hahahahahahaahaahahhaaha
  19. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    Not if it costs you an aggrigate $26K or more to get said bike to a paying customer.

Yes, if the money lasts long enough to reach profitability... That is always the hard part.
  20. scrannel

scrannel Scrannel

Oddometer:
    It's good all the people working on this have day jobs.