RTW with Noah on a KTM 690

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RoninMoto, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    +1
  2. E-Bum

E-Bum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have beard envy.

And I guess the adventure is pretty neat too...
  3. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those Ladas were Fiats in a different life.
    Back in the day, the Russians bought the tooling from Fiat and built
    a huge number of them. They were even exported to Canada and a dual fuel
    propane/gas model was available. The fuel switch was like a passing gear:lol3.

Carry on, awesome job.
  4. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Noah too funny

And do not disparage Datsun, by comparing them to shit can Lada.

Reminds me of an old Car & Driver article. The writer was flying over Afghanistan (I spelt that correctly the first time - I swear) well the C&D writer kept seeing fires burning way down below, and thought to himself "it must be Pinto's on fire from being rear ended by Lada's" :rofl

I just realized - ur too young to remember Ford Pinto's that caught fire very easy when they were rear ended.
  5. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoying the report, and enjoying the photography. :thumb :thumb
  6. GuiltyParty

GuiltyParty drifter

Oddometer:
    Just caught up on the thread, fuck me you've been through bit of a rough time. Bit of this next time someone fucks with ya...

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcVI64IbkIs?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WcVI64IbkIs?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  7. Arikauf

Arikauf Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great to see you back on the road again Noah! I've been enviously following since day one. Greetings from Milwaukee!!:beer
  8. ktm crasher

ktm crasher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have always used a mountain bike tire pump produces more volume less pressure works fine for the how often you need it they are small and light
  9. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, It seems like every car here runs on propane. Makes it tough to find anything but 80 octane. The KTM is burning it quite well though. Fuel mileage is down a bit but ok.

Haha. thats creat. And don't worry, I wasn't dissing on the Datsun dimes. Someday I will build one.

Yeah, I have a mountain bike pump and a Slime electric pump now. I was sure happy to have the slime pump in kazak when I got a flat a few weeks ago. It was close to 100 F and no shade.
  10. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Just gotta let it grow man.

Thanks guys!

So. My Uzbek visa runs out on the 20th. I don't have a Tajik visa.. but I have been convinced that it is somewhere I need to go. I don't have enough time in Uzbek to get the visa so tomorrow I will go into Kyrgyzstan and get my Tajik visa in Bishkek I've heard its very quick... a day or 2. we shall see. I'm excited to be able to camp legally again. In Uzbek you are supposed to register every place you stay. thats it for now I guess.
  11. therivermonster

therivermonster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR, Noah! I will faithfully be following along.

Stay safe...
  12. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Well.. That was funny. 2 hours leaving Uzbekistan and 10 minutes to get into Kyrgyzstan... no visa required. :huh

I won't make it to Bishkek tomorrow in time to go to the Tajik Embassy so I will take my time getting there and go Monday morning. The fly rod is calling :deal
  13. ThisWayHome

ThisWayHome Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've followed your trip report religiously since you landed in Georgia, and am making a similar ride from Europe to Asia this summer. As you are probably well aware, there are some complications and bureaucratic headaches for US citizens acquiring visas for passage through Iran at this time (maybe it will improve after Iranian elections in June), which is causing me to rethink the route east towards India and Thailand. Were you able to procure tourist visas for Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan outside of the US as you traveled east? According to information provided by the US State department on Tajikistan (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1037.html#entry_requirements), it says we must get the visa prior to traveling to the country, however, this conflicts with statement about being able to pick one up in Bishkek which you made. Lastly, why did you take a ferry from Baku to Aktau instead of taking a route like this (http://goo.gl/maps/LcU3M) for example?

Thanks a bunch for help illuminating these uncertainties in my trip planning.

Gurupurkha, a.k.a. "G"

14. sigmund freud

sigmund freud Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Noah can you give us a indication how much you spend (petrol /eat/sleep)per day?
  15. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Are you trying to get him depressed?
  16. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think he summarized what he planned in an earlier post. Of course sometimes he runs into surprises which I guess is part of the adventure.
  17. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there's an answer to that in one of the last few pages.
  18. sigmund freud

sigmund freud Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Support him with paypal account for example;http://2ridetheworld.com/support-us/
  19. mathews42

mathews42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great to see you are at it again! Looking forward to seeing some of the fly fishing pics! Be safe!
  20. Red liner

Red liner Long timer

Oddometer:
    And NO RTW is complete without scouring the Indian Himalayas :deal When are you here to ride the highest roads in the world?

Unfortunately, I think India requires a carnet.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.