2014 Best of Montana 1000

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Timmer, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    I think Cave Gulch is first come first serve only, no reservations (location). Doubt space would be a problem there anyway. Out of the way, not on the tourist trails and a Monday. If needed, plenty of space for primitive camping and there is another CG up the road a ways.

The USFS link does say you can reserve through the local USFS office. 50 person limit.

The only other CG that might be a problem is Grasshopper, but again we hit it during the week.
  2. arbrlvr

arbrlvr Santa Rosa, CA

Oddometer:
    My son Chris and I would love to to this again since last year we had a head gasket fail and subsequent DNF. It was great fun anyway. Seems like the camping might get a bit hectic judging from the posts. Any chance on winging it. We can be very primitive when we need to be as long as we don't end up in custody or shot:).
  3. Robert_W

Robert_W Giant Douche / Turd Sammich - 'Murica F' Ya Baby!

Oddometer:
    OK...guys...I'm getting PM's from many so lets set this straight so every one can plan.

We have 2 cabins left on 7/25. There seems to be a bit of confusion about space, camp sites etc.

The two cabins will sleep 4 adults comfy and up to 6 if you like each other. There is still one or possibly two beds left in the bunk house. If enough come I've been thinking of adding another bed for a while.

Outside these cabins are large grassy wooded areas that sit stream side with fire pits, gas grills, lawn furniture, high peaks beauty etc etc. We sit on 700 acres surrounded by wilderness. You've got stream, lake, etc out your front door

We routinely do reunions / parties of 20 - 40 people where some will rent cabins and inside beds and some rv / camp. There's LOTS of space and solitude here. But the bottom line is I can't put campers and rv'ers next to "different" people. They all have to belong to the same group or family.

So if a few of you want to get together and pay $170 per cabin split as many ways as you want up to 6 and then the rest want to camp. Cool. We can do that.

It would make for an excellent way to start off your adventure in an awesome setting. Get together. Have a BBQ. What ever. I'm happy to have every one.

But I understand if this is a remote basic camping gig too. If so you folks are really going to want to utilize the Yak River CG.

Seriously...Look at our site. There's tons of info there. I'm up here year round. If we can help give us a shout. Hell...$170 split 4 or 5 ways for a cabin is less than a tank of gas. Just sayin' :)

Bottom line is if you want a great place to start the ride off come by a day or two early. Rent a cabin. Relax. Go for a ride. Maybe fish a little. And enjoy Montana!

Safe ride no matter folks. Contact me if I can help.

Robert
  4. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The spirit of this event is to be more of an adventure ride. I, for one, am planning to 'wing it' as that's part of the adventure for me.
  5. DirtyPatches

DirtyPatches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ..... There is still one or possibly two beds left in the bunk house. If enough come I've been thinking of adding another bed for a while.

So if this is the case and not 2 as I was told, i will PM people back in order of those who replied.

Whats the max on it, within reason, Robert?
  6. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the Glacier NP camping on Saturday, 7/26, several of us are camping at the Fish Lake Campground (see the link in the planning link http://bom2014.blogspot.com/).

There are some options noted in the link concerning the Park, but I decided to reserve a campsite. I don't think I'll need any other reservations. But as our planning continues, that may change.
  7. Robert_W

Robert_W Giant Douche / Turd Sammich - 'Murica F' Ya Baby!

Oddometer:
    Oh we've been thinking of putting a queen/full bunk in there for a while. Right now I have two queens going in there to replace to fulls. It would just add one more space. No biggie really. Would just be a benefit at times like these. A few times a year I can put a few people in that room. 2 or 3 people. Yeah you guys can have the bunk room but still need to get people to rent cabins if others want to camp down there. Don't count on more than two in that room though.
  8. langstang96

langstang96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not familiar with Montana or Idaho, outside of Glacier Park entrance fee, what other park passes do we need to obtain before the ride?

I am in the process of reserving C104 at Fish Lake for 7/26.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. langstang96

langstang96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Correction C136.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Roadglide

Roadglide Riding since 1965

Oddometer:
    Would like to throw out the idea that we have a meeting place the morning we leave from Fish Creek campground. As you enter the park from West Glacier or head out from Fish Creek towards Going to the Sun Road there is a shuttle bus parking area at the junction that would make a good meeting point. If Fish Creek fills up there is also Apgar Campground in the same area.

Someone asked about permits. It will cost $12 to enter the park. There is also a Montana off road permit for the bikes, you will need to purchase one if we are riding off public roads. Public roads include Forest Service roads. They are available from MT Fish Wildlife and Parks online.
  11. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Do you need an off road permit if your bike is a plated and registered bike from another state?

Also if "yes"; where do I buy one?

Thanks...Phil

Ps...Friday 25...I will be camping at Yaak...

*Olyrider and I will be in Fish Creek CG C109 Sat 26.....[in case someone plans to bring us beer :D]
  12. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    The route as posted is composed of vehicular roads. Any licensed vehicle is covered. Only "designated trails" would need an OHV permit.
  13. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    In our state if plated you never need an OHV permit unless you are in a designated "OHV Park"...

Sooooo....In MT and ID do you still need the permit if plated and on "designated trails"? What is a "designated trail" in Mt? Hopefully I plan to take a few "roads least traveled":D

And where do you buy the permits?

Thanks!
  14. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    The simple answer...MT has reciprocity with other state programs.
    But, it would be great if you acquired a MT OHV sticker as it helps support the trail maintenance.

http://www.mtvra.com/index.php/misc/legal-info/28-montana-off-highway-vehicle-ohv-laws

http://stateparks.mt.gov/recreation/ohvProgram.html

Identifying OHV trails - obvious vehicle roads (where you can drive your car including 2 tracks), trails as marked (usually limited to under 50", some limited to under 30" - motorcycle only). Registered road vehicles can travel up to 1 mile off of regular roads without an OHV permit (on designated trails, of course). Avoid any trails marked as closed to motorized traffic.

23-2-802. Exemptions. The provisions of this part do not apply to:
    (1) an off-highway vehicle:
    (a) owned or used by the United States or another state or an agency or political subdivision thereof;
    (b) registered in a country other than the United States, temporarily used within this state for not more than 30 days; or
    (c) registered in another state of the United States, temporarily used within this state for not more than 30 days; or
    (2) a licensed motorcycle or licensed quadricycle used for fishing and hiking access, camping, or picnicking on a visible two-track trail or road within 1 mile of a designated road.
  15. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Thanks...very clear explanation.

I will buy one to support the program...which I have done in the past here.. not "needed" but appropriate. Besides I dig stickers! :D

Phil
  16. Migrant

Migrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey DirtyPatches - I hope your comment "Yay another fellow KLR rider on the BOM1000!!!" doesn't mean - hooray I'll have a parts bike! :D
    Mine's a 2001.

I see Dandemotoman on the list - Last I knew he had a new gen KLR, but I haven't kept up with whats currently in his stable.
  17. Migrant

Migrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see both terms used here - hopefully its all one and the same?

I just a made a reservation for Sat July 26th at Fish Creek Campground and I'm happy to share the site if anyone wants in.
  18. Wansfel

Oddometer:
    For the record, 25a Fish Ck. 1/2 price with my good old Senior Pass.
  19. DirtyPatches

Oddometer:
    Ok so still max of 2? Or 3?
    Right now it is me and kinsman, if can add one one Wallowa was first in line.
  20. DirtyPatches

Oddometer:
    Hahaha no won't (hopefully) be needing any parts from ya. Just siked to have more KLRs around! Could always use advise if a mechanical problem happens, but I plan to be self sustainable with supplies:D