Europe - 9 Countries in 10 Days (From England to the Alps and Back)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Krime, Mar 9, 2013.

1. fluff34567

fluff34567 Long timer

Oddometer:
    weather was crappy towards the end of last yearso no surprise about the furka etc... good thing you stayed upright as a crash wearing jeans and trainers wouldnt have been pretty.
  2. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The average for most days was around 250kms. Day 1 was the longest at 550km across France, and the second longest was day 9 at 450km.
  3. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like summer! Very cool that you can see the glacier off to the left in that pic... A very different scene then when I was there.
  4. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing! Glad to see it's inspiring other riders. Feel free to PM me with any questions as you plan.
  5. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 7: St. Margen, Germany to Saarbrucken, Germany

[​IMG]

After a great stay at the family run Gasthaus Zum Kreuz in the German country side, we head out for a ride through the Black Forest.

[​IMG]

A view of the rolling hills along the road.

[​IMG]

Stopping in the dense forest, passing hundreds of cyclists along the way.

[​IMG]

Arriving in Wolfach, Germany.

[​IMG]

Wolfach, Germany - I'd run out of room on my video card at the wrong time and on the wrong day! It was Sunday, and there wasn't a store open.

[​IMG]

Riders passing through this small beautiful town.

[​IMG]

One of a few original Beetles seen in the German countryside.

[​IMG]

The start of the best road we'd ride in the Black Forest, heading towards Ruhestein. It got pretty congested with a few slower cars and riders passing through at an aggressive pace.

[​IMG]

Finishing up the great run.

[​IMG]

Making a big bike look small.

[​IMG]

Stopping by another rider off the main road...

[​IMG]

…to take in the view.

[​IMG]

Arriving in Baden-Baden.

[​IMG]

Warm winter socks weren't needed in this weather. :D

[​IMG]

An upscale town - busy with locals and tourists.

[​IMG]

Another good German lunch.

[​IMG]

More views of Baden-Baden.

We were originally hoping to visit the Mosel region, but time wasn't on our side so we'd have to skip it this time around. From here we'd head diagonally North West across the tip of France and then settle down in Saarbrucken Germany for the night… More of a commercial area, it definitely wasn't the most appealing place to stay in Germany - especially on this kind of trip. Lots of suits traveling on business at our hotel for the night… we definitely looked out of place. :D With that said, we did manage to find a nice patio to enjoy in the city centre later that night. Tomorrow we'd be heading Through Luxembourg on our way to Belgium.

Day 7 riding video:
    A trip through the Black Forest. Unfortunately the majority of the video footage is only from the first hour and a half into the day… my memory card was at capacity soon after the ride began! In other words - this video doesn't do the Black Forest justice!

6. DC Chad

DC Chad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    im lovin this , great report , great photo's superb Vid's to a great soundtrack :super :dj :beer

i dont want it to end:D i bet you dont , thanks for sharing:1drink
  7. pamplonika

pamplonika Spritfresser

Oddometer:
    A huge pleasure this report.:clap
    You often think about after this trip?
    What equipment do you like you had?
  8. SA Moose

SA Moose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks a lot for the report and the videos/pics. The only problem I have with that is that I'm stuck in the office and have trouble to concentrate on the job now......:D

One question, did you use the Zumo to find accommodation at all?
  9. mistasam

mistasam ciao!

Oddometer:
    Wow, really amazing route and photos! Lovin' the HDR actually :D Looks like great fun. Thanks for sharing!
  10. Thumpermeister

Thumpermeister roost maker

Oddometer:
    Very enjoyable! :thumb
  11. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's really great to share an experience like this with such an engaged crowd. Appreciate all the kind words everyone!
  12. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! As fluffy34567 pointed out above, next time I'd make sure we had the proper full gear to wear - pants and boots specifically. an extra set of gloves would have been wise, as we learned waterproof gloves aren't all that 'waterproof' at the end of a rainy day. :D Also would have appreciated the GS Adventurer with it's larger fuel tank - more peace of mind when you're riding through some of those country roads into the evenings.
  13. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I only used the Zumo to find our pre-booked accommodation. I didn't want to risk showing up last minute at a place after check-in hours, and having no one around. Every day (with the exception of Italy) we'd book online ahead of time and add a note that we may be arriving late, so someone would be expecting us.
  14. Natnewt

Natnewt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Krime can I steal a few full size shots to print for my wall :D
  15. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "One of a few original Beetles seen in the German countryside."

I never saw any when I was there, and I pay attention to 'old crocks'. Someone thought it was because their vehicle inspection is brutal.
    Jim
  16. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the pics!!
  17. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 8: Saarbrucken, Germany to Bouillon, Belgium

[​IMG]

An early start, we jump on the highway leaving Saarbrucken. We're in the slow lane doing 110km/h when a 5-series BMW flies by us at around 200... then it hits me... we're on the Autobahn! I get on the gas hard and get it up to about 160 when the bike really starts to rattle and kick back, thanks to the horrible aerodynamics of our setup. I bring the speed back down and can't get the big grin off my face - first time on the autobahn... and I thought I wouldn't get the chance this trip. :D

[​IMG]

Getting lost somewhere in Germany... our original route was closed off so we were on a detour.

[​IMG]

Still in Germany as we approach the border of Luxembourg.

[​IMG]

Windmills along the roads.

[​IMG]

After passing through the heart of Luxembourg, we're back in the country approaching Belgium and the Ardennes forest.

[​IMG]

In the heart of the Ardennes, heading toward Bouillon, we spot an opening in the trees. We U-turn and loop around - it turned out to be the perfect view of the Semois river.

[​IMG]

The road would continue down through the forest. Would have loved to explore, but short for time we'd have to get back on the main road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arriving in the small medieval town of Bouillon as the sun is setting.

[​IMG]

Across the way.

[​IMG]

Settling in to our hotel Panorama.

[​IMG]

Enjoying local Belgium beer on the patio out front (note the illustration on the beer glass)...

[​IMG]

...and the great view across the way. The medieval castle was built in the 10th century - we'd be sure to visit it the next morning before leaving this incredible spot tucked away in the Ardennes.

[​IMG]

Taking a walk through the village we cross the Semois, looking back towards our hotel.

We'd grab dinner soon after, having another great local beer. Back at our own hotel later that night, we'd spend some time in the main lobby area, trip planning using the hotel wifi alongside a group of 10 or so (now drunk) cyclists from Canada. :D

Day 8 riding video:
    Starting off on the Autobahn in Germany and riding through Luxembourg to Belgium.

18. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You bet. :D
  19. Krime

Krime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw some mint (from afar) old Porsches as well. I must have been out on the right day.
  20. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    ......Outstanding!