Dynabeads.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Motorcyclist72, Mar 20, 2013.

1. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    If telling someone they don't know what they're talking about is insulting, then so be it. They don't work. They can't work. You're proof that P.T. Barnum was right.

Yes, because you and the people who have sold you something are certainly more knowledgable than the companies who designed your bike and your tires. Let's be clear, if DynaBeads worked, they'd save OEMs money on warranty claims and make for happier customers. They'd be all over it, especially since the beads are cheaper than weights.

My sister's 3rd cousin's housekeeper's daughter's boyfriend once pleasured someone in a truck. That has about as much to do with this as your statement. We're not talking about truck tires, we're talking about motorcycle tires. Completely different thing.

Do yourself a favor, call some tire companies and see what they say. Do a little research and try to figure out why, if these beads are so awesome, they don't balance a tire on a balancing machine.

I have nothing to gain by dissuading you from using them, and my dick's big enough that I don't need to compensate by arguing on the internet. Ultimately it's your bike and you can do whatever the hell you want with it, but understand that there's no way that those beads can do what they're advertised to do, and if they did they would be used by OEMs and be recommended by tire manufacturers.

DynaBeads are as worthless as using Nitrogen to fill your tires.
  2. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Give yourself a good hour to read this http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/366/1866/705.full then explain how dumping a bunch of ceramic beads into a tire is effective at doing anything more than liberating you of your money.

Dynamic balancing via mechanisms that are internal to the rotating mass require a shitload of math, precise machining, and a stationary, single speed, application (e.g. not tires being deflected along two planes of travel and subject to variations in rotational speed).
  3. Jon-Lars

Jon-Lars Jon-Lars

Oddometer:
    Gee, still some controversy over these little beads.

According to their advocates, they should have taken over the world by now.
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's this ad on ebay now, for SS beads. It states that the SS beads are better than the ceramic beads for several reasons given. The same seller also sells ceramic beads in another ad, so go figure.:huh I still use them but felt compelled to give some of the above "non-believers" something to fume over...:D
  5. jknight611

jknight611 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Ural, tires only slightly round, totally way out of balance, they seem to work in it... Russian tars are tuff, stiff sidewalls ultra low performance, but 3 oz of beads in the front durn sure made a difference. I saw a UTube with a 2 liter soda bottle being spun with beads, looks like it worked there too.

That being said as a long time helicopter pilot that has endured many hot sweaty days tracking and BALANCING a main rotor system, it does defy some logic.

but it works.....

definitely

i think

:rofl:rofl

Jay
  6. MMasz

MMasz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the onus is on you to prove that it does not work. I teach physics and can tell you that the centripetal force of a unbalanced rotating object will seek to equilibrate provided you have a fluid-type (i.e., able to reform) substance internally- liquids or dynabeads fit this. As was stated earlier, a washing machine will do this provided the laundry pieces are small enough to migrate to the periphery of the tub.
  7. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is laughable. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer to prove they *do* work... not on the consumer to prove a negative.
  8. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    Oh no! Clouding the issue with facts, that simply won't do. The arrogantly ignorant won't accept that. You will be berated for your knowledge and ability to articulate it. Right now they are probably gathering wood in preparation of burning you on a cross for being a witch. How dare you disagree with their lack of understanding?

Those darn beads, only thing worse is the traveling shaman that comes to the village once a year to sell snake oil from the back of his wagon...

;)
  9. MMasz

MMasz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The laughable part is that you lack an understanding of physics. M post was based on the application of laws of physics which would have to be shown to be wrong. Can you do this or would you rather pontificate on why dynabeads "can't" work and provide a scientific reason why?

I do not use dynabeads so I have no skin in this, but the principle is scientifically sound.
  10. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're either a troll or work for Dynabeads. If you really teach Physics, you'd understand the difference between something with a rigid circumference spinning suspended on a fixed axis (washing machine) and something that has a contact patch that's constantly moving and deforming, thus dislodging the beads, all while also oscillating vertically due to road vibration, bumps, etc. This whole "it's Physics, stupid" argument is old, and it's not proof of anything. If you really teach Physics, then *prove* that it works (hint, Dynabeads has yet to be able to do this), rather than swinging your dick and expecting me to be impressed.
  11. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    I don't know if dynabeads work worth a poo

But airsoft pellets do

So fuck you

I like a haiku too
  12. the kaz

the kaz has become "FERAL"

Oddometer:
    Two questions:

If Dynabeads work then have the OEMs not embraced the product if even for only the environmental stand point ?

If Dynabeads work then why has the racers not gone ape for it cause lets face it when it comes to racing any edge is worth the effort.
  13. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't give a damn about those beads but is it your main argument that if something isn't used by "racers", it surely doesn't work?
  14. the kaz

the kaz has become "FERAL"

Oddometer:
    NOPE but knowing some amateur racers I am assuming the big teams are the same in that they will go through great lengths to have any edge possible, thus the question of why are racers not using dynabeads ?
    Its not a does it work question but more of a why are the "pros" not using them ? I actually would like to know why a giant race team like say Monster does use not them ?

There has to be a reason why they are not using them and promoting them ?
  15. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend °.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.

Oddometer:
    If this is the best that the official website can come up with:

I gotta call it snake oil.

So, when the heavy side of the tire moves away from the center, the light side pushes against the dynabeads and they become "in place" against the lighter side? WTF does that have to do with Newton's 1st law? If dyna beads is trying to prove that their beads work, they'd be better off citing PFM than the laws of inertia.

Here's a law of inertia for you.

I=m*r^2

The amount of inertia increases as a square of the radius. Why would the beads move to the side of the tire closer to the center and with less moment of inertia?

If someone could explain that to me, I may be inclined to try them. But from a laws of physics stand point, I can't make sense of it.
  16. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those who believe that the burden of proof is on the skeptic to prove that Dynabeads do not work would do well to read a little bit about Russell's teapot.
  17. 16VGTIDave

Oddometer:
    Because their tire sponsors won't let them? Because the manufacturers or distributors of DynaBeads aren't paying big bucks for sponsorships? Rules? What difference does it make? Motorsports and "the real world" are not even close to the same. "Similar" would be stretching the truth. With specially manufactured competition tire's life being measured in hours or a few hundred miles, what tires and balancing method they use is irrelevant to the guy commuting to work or riding across the country.
  18. 16VGTIDave

Oddometer:
    They would be better off claiming their manufacturing process include the use of Holy Water, or some other unproven mystical power. Then most skeptics would be obliged to have blind faith that their deity of choice had approved, regardless of their ignorance of how it works. Maybe the beads use "the Force" and the manufacturers have Yoda on retainer? :rofl

One doesn't HAVE to understand HOW something functions to know that it does. Heck, I don't understand HOW the electricity makes my computer operate, but I know that it does make it work. I know a fair bit about static and dynamic balancing from working in automotive and aviation fields. I was certified and paid to successfully dynamically balance really expensive stuff that many lives and a lot of profit depended on. I don't know enough to explain the physics of how the beads work, but that doesn't change the fact that that I run beads because they have worked for me and other that I know. That is all I NEED to know. :deal Sure, I'd like to have a better understanding, but I'd rather be riding my smooth bike than sitting in a lecture hall learning physics...
  19. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't see a fundamental difference between you not knowing how something works, and nobody knowing how something works? I agree with you that I don't need to know the science behind everything in my life, but I expect that someone understands it, can explain it, and can prove it.

Do you also believe in the effects of copper bracelets on improving libido, lowering golf scores, and curing lower back pain? If no, why not? After all, there are countless anecdotes from millions of satisfied customers professing their effectiveness for all of these maladies. Just because you don't understand the science behind how copper bracelets can make you a better golfer, surely you can't discount all the anecdotes, can you?
  20. 16VGTIDave

Oddometer:
    Maybe the correct person(s) haven't been paid to provide the answers? I don't know and it doesn't matter to me. I have dealt with numerous people who didn't/couldn't/wouldn't comprehend the difference between static and dynamic balancing as it applies to aviation, and refused to pay for dynamic prop balancing. Even though it has been proven to reduce maintenance costs and improve inflight comfort. It baffled me why these people refused to spend a couple hundred dollars, yet they complained about vibrations or having to replace thousands of $ of damaged avionics every 18 months. And one of their first arguments was how dynamic balancing wasn't recommended or endorsed by manufacturers. Followed by arguments of "the engine is balanced at the factory, so is the prop". And yet they had vibrations, felt or otherwise...

I used to wear a copper bracelet that had magnets in it. I didn't notice a difference so I stopped wearing it. A friend wears a Q-Ray bracelet and swears it is the best thing for his sex life. I say it is his 26 year old bride... :deal Chinese medicine has many treatments that Western medicine can't rationalize. Doesn't make it any less effective for them. Placebo "pain relief" pills have made many feel better in clinical trials, sometimes even more than the actual medication.

I have my own anecdotal evidence that Dynabeads work, based on my own un-scientific testing. But I can't prove that they work. Certainly not to someone who is skeptical. And that doesn't bother me in the least. I do, however, get annoyed by those who insist that because they don't understand how the beads work, that the beads can't work. Or those who had a failure of some sort, and happened to using the beads at that time, so they believe the beads MUST have been the cause of the problem.