RTW with Noah on a KTM 690

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RoninMoto, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Not yet. :cry
    It would have been impossible to get the parts before Morocco since we found it the night before. I plan on rebuilding all the bearings this winter. Even with the jumping I was doing.. it is still intact.
  2. zipper2680

zipper2680 couch traveller

Oddometer:

Nice pics.

Already in Portugal???

I still have a bed avaiable for you and a nice garage to do some work on the KTM.

Cheers
  3. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I stayed in Porto last night and I'm in Peso da Régua now. Where are you?
  4. kwakbiker

kwakbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not worth filling the linkage with some weld in the meantime?
  5. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    It is cast aluminum so welding it would probably make it weaker (I think).. at least around the welded area. Between now and Georgia, I don't think she will be ridden harder then she was in Morocco.
  6. Ritebike

Ritebike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's what she said! Great ride report, have been following for awhile, and on board until the end, safe travels.
  7. chekamus

chekamus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, have been following for a while, loved the desert pics, looked great fun
  8. gallinastrips

gallinastrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome!
  9. zipper2680

zipper2680 couch traveller

Oddometer:
    70 kms up North Lisbon. Near "Torres Vedras". Check on google.
    Next Friday im off work. PM me if interested.
  10. HamAce

HamAce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bit late, but stoked none the less. Safe travels mate! Can't wait for the Australia leg..
  11. rview1

rview1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been enjoying your adventure and on the day of giving thanks, thank you for taking us to places that some of us may never visit. Ride on safe. :clap
  12. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    Great RR, you are a great ambassador for the 690, makes me want to get one. :D

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
  13. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    It's Thanksgiving? :rofl I guess I should call my mother.

Portugal has been amazing. For the past 3 days I have been on a farm with some new friends. Today we harvested almonds and took a great moto ride. One of them has a WR250 so we did some exploring.

Tomorrow I head back into Spain. There is a ferry to Corsica on the night of the 25th I want to be on.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!
    I will be happy when it is over so I can stop receiving all these "Black Friday" emails. Are these fecking annoying to anyone else?
  14. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    Keep safe young fella...good luck on your onward travels...

:D

15. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    10 observations about riding in Morocco with the crazy Moroccan drivers:
    1. People walk in the street instead of the sidewalk.
    2. Large slow vehicles will not let smaller cars/motos by so get used to passing like an A-hole.
    3. In the twisty mountain roads, assume there will be a car/truck/moto/donkey in your lane around that blind corner.
    4. Morooccan drivers NEVER turn thier lights on durring the day.
    5. You will get flashed 4 times every 3 mintues for having your lights on.
    6. Never tust a blinker.
    7. If you come up behind a slow moving vehicle and you hesitate to pass, the car behind you will start passing you in your lane becuase there is "room".
    8. When coming down a hill, expect to have to go off road because people will be passing in your lane. And they will flash thier lights at you for having your lights on.
    9. Every truck and car must be loaded at least 2x the GVW.
    10. People pull out first then look to see if there are cars coming. This is true for cars, trucks, bikes, mopeds, pedestrians, donkeys, and tractors. ​

My GPS tracks from Morocco. I forgot to put a map in part 1.
    [​IMG]

Back to the story...
    [​IMG]

Nov 4 Merzouga to Imilchil. 323 km
    We pounded pavement for a while on the way to Troda Gorge. We stopped for lunch just before then and I made the mistake of eating slighly undercooked meat. I didn't eat diner that night because my stomach wouldn't have handled it. Before I left the US I got perscriptions for a variaty of things. The traveler's diaria pills work wonders. I felt better the next morning.
    The last half hour or so before Imilchil, the KTM started to miss pretty bad. I assumed it was fuel/air poblems. Air filter was not to bad. Fuel injector looked a bit weak so I swapped it. I took it for a spin and it was still missing.

[​IMG]
    A few of the landscape south of Troda Gorge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In the gorge. I wouldn't want to be here in a hard rain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some guys fixing a roof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was working on the bike there was a large group a kids hanging out. The girls were just hanging out and the boys were asking for stuff. They didn't want us to take their picture so I gave my camera to an 8 year old (I think) girl to take some pictures. She took some good ones of her friends and then another girl took a few.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They took the following pictures. I can't take credit for them.

[​IMG]
    The camera war..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nov 5 Imilchil to Midelt. 169 km
    I woke up early in the morning to start working on the KTM. We cleanded the air filter, swapped the spark plug and did a 15 mintue reset. That seem to help. But later that day, It was missing again. Then it all but stopped all together and wouldn't start. I checked the spark and it was very very bad. It turns out my low voltage connections to the coil had gotten loose and were only kind of touching. I also resanded the grounding points on the frame. Boom. Problem solved.
    There must have been some crazy rain because the road we were on was at one point totally covered by a land slide. We had to go into the river to get around it.

[​IMG]
    I really like the dry-mason work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Why fix a landslide? Just go around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Where did the road go?

[​IMG]
    Nice gentleman with a blade decided to make us a new road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'm surprised this road is still passable.

[​IMG]
    Getting onto the goat trails.

[​IMG]
    This single strand of barbed wire was supposed to keep the sheep in? Luckily Christophe was going slow. I slowed down when I saw he stopped and didn't see it till i was 10 feet from it. No markings or anything. Scary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some mud.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Snow on them there peaks. :eek1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I guess more of a donkey trail. not a goat trail.

[​IMG]
    Craig kicked the back of the Tiger out.

[​IMG]
    Northern Italy was good training for me :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    How many idiots hanging on the back would it take to wheelie when you dump the clutch? :lol3

[​IMG]
    Parking for the night. On tiled floor. Katriana is getting spoiled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My first Whiskey in ages. No ice. No worries. :1drink

[​IMG]
    I unfortunately did not get a picture with the receptionist. She was a bombshell. She had Graham blushing every time she talked to him.

Nov 6. Midelt to Chefchaouen. 408 km
    I almost died. In the Atlas it was raining so I slowed down because the knobbies don't work very well in the wet. I was going into a blind sharp left hand and there is a car in my lane stuggling to make the corner. He slammed on the brakes and slid abou 15 feet in front of my bike into the gaurd rail. I did not see him hit the gaurd rail because we kind of went past each other and I was trying not to go down myself. It tuns out he was passing a bus and had to much speed going into the corner, came through my lane before smacking the wall. In the afternoon we stopped at Volubilis. Volubilis is an ancient Roman city. This is the first Roman runes I have ever seen so I thought it was pretty cool. We made it to Chefchaouen in the dark and fog. We had a hell of a time finding a hotel with secure parking and ended up staying way up at the top of the hill overlooking the city. It was 60 euro per person wich is 2 to 3 times what we had been paying.

[​IMG]
    At a fuel stop. Times like this I wish I had my multi-meter. Curiosity I guess. :deal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Must have been pretty impressive to see way back in the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    For grinding grain.

[​IMG]
    :eek1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lunch?

[​IMG]
    Lunch!?!?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    OHHHH! Lunch! This was the tastiest meal IMO. And.. It didn't give me the shits. :deal

Nov 7. Chefchaouen Morocco to Manilva Spain
    Craig, Adam and I left early to try to get to the first boat. On the way up to Tanger Med it was pouring rain and storming very hard. We had tickets for the 10:00 boat and it didn't leave till noon. The whole way accross the boat was moving quite a bit. People were getting sick and puking. Both Craig's Triumph and Adam's XT660 fell over on the way and they were srtapped down like mine. It wasn't till 5:30 or 6:00 that we were through customs. I even got to see customs agenst pull out of a truck who was hiding to try and sneek into the EU. He was way up on top of the cab behind the air spoiler. The driver was acting like he didn't know. We didn't go very far before it started to rain again so we pulled off into Manilva to get a hotel.

[​IMG]
    Chefchaouen in the morning.

[​IMG]
    We counted 14 different mosques that we could see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Doesn't really do it justice.

[​IMG]
    Glad this wasn't me.

[​IMG]
    Adam pretending he wasn't sick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Wait a minute.. they weren't on the centerstand when we left them... Wheres my mirror?"

[​IMG]
    Inspecting the damage. The triumph had a broken mirror and blinker. The 660 had a bent pannier, bent pannier frame, broken hand guard and a broken mirror.

Well. That's about it for Morocco. It was amazing. I had a great time with the guys but it is good to be back on my own.. I mean back at my own pace. I'm not waiting for anyone. No one is waiting for me.

And I will leave you with a video that Christophe made.
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yZO9O3PEraE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  16. vander

vander full-time dreamer

Oddometer:
    There have been several accidents with cables in the Jafaar piste. I'm not sure the wire is there for for goats or simply for bikers and their belongings.

[​IMG]

I did basically the same route in september, just the opposite direction. Started in Midelt, finished the day in Todhra Gorge.

I was sort of robbed in the first village after the piste (the last one before entering, for you). A guy jumped on my bike, tried to open my bag and eventually did it. He also threatened to slice my neck and throw me a stone he had. I lost there a notepad with feelings and names of lots of nice people I had met in Morocco so far.
    He was yelling to some mates so it was time to go NOW. I revved the hell out of the place across a small river, the village and a corn field to the main road.

To summarize, the area is wonderful, but is not the friendliest place around the country. I was told by a NGO Doctor just some km after that there are problems in the area. There's no police station for many km's so the bad guys have more incentives to try luck.
    Not new: HUBB LINK

As for the horrible state of the road to Imilghil, it was the same in september. I found it was very nice to ride. Didn't had a problem (old Tenere) but some slovakian riders I met had 7 punctures in those 100km.

All in all, an interesting day: got robbed, crashed, kids spitted and throwed stones to me. But the riding was splendorous.
  17. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    Hi Noah....

Just had a viewing of the rest of Christophe's pics tonight over some wine and cheese.....stand by for some more excellent video....

:D
  18. Blackveg

Blackveg Nunc est Bibendum

Oddometer:
    Hi Noah,

What a wild trip you have had so far! I just got to today, it took quite some time to do so but it was well worth it. I look forward to your travels ahead, and I am sure any deviation while in Georgia will be as fascinating as your journey thus far. I'll be along for the rest of it.
  19. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    How's the weather holdin' up Noah?
  20. rdkyote

rdkyote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pictures of Morocco... reminds me that I need to invest in a good camera. :lol3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.