Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. KeithTurk

KeithTurk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been there several times Mark... Remember, try not to ride at night... Skippy has a low center of gravity compared to Bambi and he wants to eat you!!!

The Dividing range is simply incredible... can't wait to see your reports when you get near Melborne.... are you going to try and make it to Adelaide or are you going north towards Cairns?
  2. R-W

R-W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mark, I see you are enjoying Sydney. Great pics! I motored into Sydney harbor for a 1 month refit on my sailing ketch and ended up spending a year there. Bought a motor bike and traveled all the way up the east coast before heading back out to sea. Yes... you can get happily stuck in OZ. :D

Happy travels and no worries! :freaky
  3. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb after yesterday.... meeting some great people. It could happen!
  4. Ravenslair

Ravenslair Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I sure hope so. I lived there for a summer a few decades back. Would be great to see some current pictures. I had a great time that summer. The people in Australia are so hospitable and a pleasure to be around. Cannot wait to see more of Mark's time there.
  5. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Radioman, after lurking here, and reading your chapter 3, you inspire me. Your outlook, and way of dealing with life's challenges, are even better then your stories. Wanting to reply to your posts are the reason I Registered with ADVrider.

Your trip took me thru South America, thank you so much, but the India/Himylia. detour was excellent also.
    My claim toADV fame was a 1983 trip 6000k' OZ up & down the East coast with a XR250 Honda & a Backpack
    In Australia, I spent 4 months traveling the east Coast, and several points that I enjoyed were Frasier Island as well as Magnetic Island (twice to camp). While my mode of habitation was either Youth Hostel, tent-camping, or staying with families/people met in my travels. Also The Whitsunday Islands out from Airlie Beach are fantastic also. Scuba from the Airlie Beach area in the GBReef was another memorable part of the trip. My Scuba Cert card from Airlie Beach 1983 still draws comments at dive shops today.

Mark, thankyou again for sharing your great ADVenture with me. If passing thru Los Angeles, don't hesitate to contact me for a place to stay, not to mention, some serious story telling over a beer or two.

Mike B.
  6. Radioman

Oddometer:
    LIVING THE DREAM. How does one go about describing oppprtunies that have come up for me on this ride around the world. Yesterday was one of those amazing days. connected to an amazing man who took me on his personal Helicopter tour of Sydney in his private Helicopter. Just simply amazing…..

But first I stopped at AdventureMoto in a Sydney Suburb to pick up a vented tube for my Rotopax. Met Steve Smith the owner and a great guy!!

https://www.adventuremoto.com.au

[​IMG]

Loved that my item was ready for me!

[​IMG]

He gave me a tour of his shop and the F800 he is building. Like being a Kid in the Candy store!

[​IMG]

And a free t-shirt !!

[​IMG]

It was designed by Simon Thomas!

Yup. Ride, Explore, Discover

[​IMG]

Once again meeting some great people that also have passion for Motorcycles and life!

Not sure how to really explain the next part of my day. Lee invited me up to his place to a morning "tea" with him and his lovely wife Mary. We talked about the trip, Australia, looked at maps of special areas in Australia! Great conversation! This again is the best part of my Adventure is meeting new, interesting people! Thanks :wave Lee and Mary for generously sharing this time.

But it gets more amazing as the morning unfolded. Lee has a very cool Bimoto Tesa 3D.... So we headed out to take a look!

[​IMG]

WOW work of art. He offer for me to Ride it.... but I was not willing to take the risk :evil

The front end is amazing. No direct forks, but it swivels on the center joint. Crazy design!

[​IMG]

Then Lee offers to take me on a Helicopter flight over Sydney :clap Really ?
    It is almost without words that I can express the delight in this unique opportunity with a really great guy! :deal

So he rolls out his personal Helo. It is a Eurocopter Ecureuil (Squirrel). Very very cool!

He calls it Adventure Helicoptering :D

[​IMG]

OK. LIVING THE DREAM is firmly planted in my head. WOW

[​IMG]

Took lots of photos..... But too many to share.

Heading for Sydney harbour for an amazing view!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just over the Harbour Bridge, the the Opera house !

[​IMG]

Stunning!

[​IMG]

Following this amazing Harbour out to the Heads and the exit to the Ocean!

[​IMG]

Flying along the coast ... There's Bondi Beach

[​IMG]

More coastline.... I am just enjoying every moment of the flight!!

[​IMG]

Ahhh. Look at this road.... Looks like I need to take a ride here!

[​IMG]

Then further south.

[​IMG]

Amazing Beaches!

[​IMG]

Lee tells me we will be landing at his property as he is a "Pitt Street Farmer".
    Some of his beach named after his daughter!

[​IMG]

We land have lunch in town, as he shares the love of the area that he and his family have enjoyed! Beautiful!

[​IMG]

He has a sick cow named Lucky, that we go check on. Of course I fell like I am truly the Lucky one today!!

[​IMG]

Then we head back to his house near Sydney!

[​IMG]

Catching some great bush area and sights along the way!

[​IMG]

Landing perfectly on his helipad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amazing day!! Thanks so Much Lee!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Humbled by the generosity of this very Kind man. he shared his world, his life experiences and views, and his passion for his Helicopter flying. I am so grateful for this connection and time spent with Lee! :clap

[​IMG]

Then back on the bike to ride through Sydney to my Friend Craigs 50th Birthday party. It was near their home, and it was great to meet some of his friends and be able to celebrate the big event!! Somehow I did not take photos!
  7. Creeker747

Creeker747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ..........Unsubscribed! Really? You dare post such cool stuff and expect us ground hoggers to take it? :becca
    Who am I kidding? I am addicted to Adv R/R's, and this is one of the best. Good for you mate........ :thumb
  8. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark, I did the 34 from corvallis to waldport today...big deal huh?:D
    Glad your having a super time!:clap
  9. MRED

MRED Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Marty, Stop in at Mr. Ed's in Albany for a visit.
  10. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    Amazing
  11. Squishy

Squishy Elastically-kinematic.

Oddometer:
    Very cool, beautiful chopper!
    Isn't it amazing the beautiful people & things that can happen while traveling...especially in another country!
    I haven't been following your thread much, so i don't know what your itinery is, but lots of good ways to travel through Aus, check out Bell's beach surf, if you decide to head around the sth coast to Perth.
    If you go nth up through Bris, take the inland roads up through the Glasshouse mtns to Noosa...i used to take that road all the time.
    Enjoy. We'll have to meet up when you get back to PDX.
  12. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Hey Mr. Ed. Don't know if you remember doing a seat on my yellow 650GS about 2004 or 5. Sadly I'm heading south and am in brookings on the way to norcal in the am. Maybe next year.
  13. R-W

R-W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That Helo trip must have been amazing. Bet you grin like a kid just thinking about it. Heck... I know I would be! :D

And a very classy new friend too. Journey on Mark.
  14. Radioman

Oddometer:

:thumb The Kindness of "strangers" has been amazing. Each of these experiences meeting amazing people really is wonderful!
  15. AussieAlexS

AussieAlexS n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Radioman, I've been slowly catching up on your ride for the last few months, only on page 280, when I just realised your are in Oz. I live on the Gold Coast which is near Brisbane. It would be a thrill the meet with you for a drink and show you some great rides around the area if you make it this way.
  16. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Will PM you as I get closer to heading north! Thanks!
  17. aclark79

aclark79 Rotor Driver

Oddometer:
    Radioman, its great to see you living the dream!

Any chance you will be in Melbourne around the 17th of July to the 23rd? I'll be there for a conference and it would be great to buy you a beer and hear some stories. I've missed you every time you've been in PDX ( due to work)
  18. AussieAlexS

AussieAlexS n00b

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. You better know now that I don't have a helicopter so there are no expectations
  19. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3
  20. Colombianito

Colombianito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to see you still riding the adventure of a lifetime bro! I hope all is well. C