RTW with Noah on a KTM 690

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RoninMoto, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about adding the Rally Raid fairing to my 2012 model...
    I've bought other RR products and they have been top quality, but I hesitate to spend $2500.00 for the tank and fairing installation and watch it self-destruct in the West Texas deserts...
    A lot of my riding is in rough terrain that tends to destroy anything that isn't well mounted.
    Have you had anything break or shake loose yet?

I'd like to hear your opinion as far as durability.
  2. OmenF1

OmenF1 wannabe explorer

Oddometer:
    Hey Noah,

Love what you are doing - enjoy it man, all the way.

It will be a while I supose before you have crossed UK into Belgium, but when you do, PM me.
    There will be a nice place for you to stay, a hot meal, a safe place for you and you bike, at the
    Belgian countryside :-)

BR

Omen
  3. BlackDog

BlackDog Big Fish

Oddometer:
    The ride to Prince George was nothing special. I stopped at a "Canadian superstore" to replenish my canned fish, Summer sausage, Chicken soup, Oatmeal, hard cheese, and granola bars. I have enough food to get me to Anchorage now.

You were just a couple blocks away,too bad I missed you. Those spicy Asian noodles will go well with some freshly caught Arctic Grayling. Make sure you take the time and put that fly rod to use!
    Thanks for taking the time to keep us in the loop.
  4. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    It seems durable.. but (knock on wood) I haven't put it down. When I was riding the Mojave desert I only had the RR tanks and not the fairing. It seemed to hold up well. Go with the RR radiator guard if you do it. It's very well built and fits together correct.
  5. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    May 11. Smithers BC to Hyder AK. 370 km

I knew it wasn't to far from Smithers to Hyder so I got a late start and updated my RR. The weather was sunny and somewhat warm. I pulled into Hyder around 5 and tried to go the Salmon glacier but the road was snowed in about 15 km up near a large holding pond for a gold mine. So I went back into Hyder to get some food and a room. I got suckered into singing karaoke and drinking with the locals. :freaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lunch time view

[​IMG]
    My first Black bear that day. I lost count around 15

[​IMG]
    That's a glacier.

[​IMG]
    On the way to salmon glacier. the road went off to the left another 200 meters or so then was covered with snow.

[​IMG]
    The best place to eat in Hyder. Of all the chowder I have had this trip, they had the best seafood chowder. That is saying a lot. :deal

[​IMG]
    Halibut sandwich.

[​IMG]
    The whole wall is covered with bills. Some are from the early 60s. Quite interesting to look around.

[​IMG]
    Room 1. One door down from the bar. I had to close it down otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway right?:lol3

[​IMG]
    Locals gearing up to sing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It didn't like me hugging it.

May 12. Hyder AK to Dease Lake BC. 400 km.

After a nice Breakfast at the Glacier Inn of seafood eggs benedict, I headed back into Canada. I was half expecting the boarder people to give me a hard time. Luckily they didn't. The clouds cleared up as I got back to Hwy 37 and it was sunny all the way to Dease Lake. I camped at Dease Lake. For some reason I was the only one at the campground... maybe it was because there was still ice on the lake. It made for a great sunset.

[​IMG]
    This lady owns the Boundary Gallery and Gifts. She was quite funny so I let her sign AK on my bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apparently this bridge washed out in a storm last summer and was out for a month before they were able to put this one-lane bridge next to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This little guy let me take a bunch of pics of him. He would start to walk away and I would whistle and he would come back and let me take more pics. :clap

[​IMG]
    This is my "its getting cold again" face.

[​IMG]
    Coolest camper ever? All it needs is a 4x4 axle in the front and about a 6 inch lift and some 33s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Campsite for the night.

[​IMG]
    Sunset over a frozen Dease Lake.

[​IMG]

May 13. Dease Lake to Telegraph Creek and up to the BC/Yukon boarder. 470 km

Up at 8:00 to find that my water for coffee had ice in it. I guess it did get cold that night. The road to Telegraph creek was a 90 km/hour gravel road for the first 60km and then it got pretty interesting. After Telegraph creek I went to Glenora. I am not sure what I was expecting but this shouldn't be a town on a map. (see pics below). I back tracked to Dease Lake to head north. After A few hours I was out of the mountains and into pine forest with some nice lakes. I found a campsite close to a lake and the road that many people had used before. Had a nice fire and went to bed when the sun went down. (10 pm)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pin it to win it?

[​IMG]
    These guys greeted me 20 km out of Telegraph.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Its good to know if your clutch goes out in Telegraph, they have spare parts for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The booming metropolis of Glenora.

[​IMG]
    Spring was in full bloom. The locals said Telegraph was about 2 weeks ahead of Dease Lake in spring.

[​IMG]
    :(

[​IMG]
    The road was on a "spine" with canyons on each side.

[​IMG]
    The other side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :lol3 (I had to use photo shop because I wasn't tall enough to do it on the sign)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where I camped: http://g.co/maps/yc546

May 14. Just south of Hwy 37 Junction to Whitehorse Yukon.

Ice in my water again this morning. I think its time to get someplace warm! There were some interesting birds that would hit the water almost like they were eating but it might have been some mating dance. I'm not sure. the pictures won't do justice. After about an hour of freezing my @$$ off in 5 degree C windy weather, I disconnected my headlight to free up some extra watts. Now I can run my grips on HIGH and my heated jacket. I have my LED light running so i won't get pulled over for not having a light. Much better! I'm now in the Beez Kneez hostel in Whitehorse and from the looks of the snow/rain in the forecast tomorrow, I might be here another night.

[​IMG]
    Crazy birds.

[​IMG]

I guess that's all the pictures I took today. :lol3
    CruzCtrl likes this.
  6. jnyrav

jnyrav Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome!
    Wishin' I was doing the same...:)
    Keep the pics coming!
  7. AK Smitty

AK Smitty Self life coach

Oddometer:
    80 inches of new snow since May 1 at the top of the resort. Weekend operation only right now!! If you had your board I would say go to Thompson Pass(Valdez) and hike for runs.

PM me if you need something I am in Anchorage and plan to be at Alyeska this weekend.
  8. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I am not sure I will make it this weekend. Next weekend though. I will be trying to ride Alyeska. I think that is the closing weekend?

The weatherman lied to me. Today was supposed to snow. Now they switched the snow to tomorrow. I think I need to get to beaver creek today. But.. is it better to be pinned down in a hostel with good people at $30 a night or at a hotel by yourself for $100?
  9. fastlane1

fastlane1 Catching up with my past

Oddometer:
    Great photo Noah - If only that van could talk - imagine the stories!
    Keep on moving and stay warm - are you planning on renting another snow board?

Lane
  10. pdxbrit

pdxbrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All caught up and subscribed! I hope you have a safe ride! :clap
  11. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    More great pics and report, I really like the KTM road sign, could you go back/forward aways till you get to 640.:D
  12. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I would have to go at least 640 km to get to that road sign.. so, I will let you get that picture :lol3
  13. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  14. everycredit

everycredit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Watch out for bears and oil drillers in Alaska! Subscribed!
  15. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    I second that!
  16. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    We got 6 inches of snow overnight in Whitehorse. :rofl The locals say this is the coldest May they remember. The sun is supposed tom come out tomorrow and Friday and it should get up to 20 Degrees C. Right now its 3 or 4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Its melting pretty fast now.
    CruzCtrl likes this.
  17. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    noah, keep them coming!

thanks
  18. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    Great RR! You gotta love Canada in May it could be +30 or -15 on any given day. I'm heading up that way in a month and I thought that was cutting it too early. Nice job, keep up to good pics!
  19. grinns

grinns Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    I ride a 990 and it takes like 6 co2's to just get air in the rear to limp out, can't seat it with that. My suggestion is get a stripped down electric pump and or c02/hand pump for backup. I tried the hand pump once it was :rofl then :cry.
    Gjtaco likes this.
  20. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I have a slim pump now and I still carry my Mtn bike pump just in case.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.