Guitar thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by rajflyboy, Jan 31, 2010.

1. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    You might enjoy these guys...

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zhl6lJV_hPM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="853"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZQoRS09OUnE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="720" width="960"></iframe>

I hope Zander shows up at NAMM this year. I'd love to hear him in person.

jdg
  2. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    The skeptic in me finds the double neck Sweet Child O' Mine to be hard to believe.

Maybe I'm just jealous?

That guy also has little baby hands. Even if I COULD, my meat hook hands wouldn't be physically able to play like that. I'd be muting strings all over the neck!
  3. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    If you watch his other stuff, it's obvious that this is not a fluke. Quite a talented guy.

A friend of mine built a Thing(tm) - bass guitar with a midi keyboard grafted to it. He plays non-trivial lines on the bass with his left hand, more non-trivial stuff on the midi with his right hand and sings - all at the same time. He is a Julliard trained pianist and one of the most incredible Unix geeks I've ever run across.

jdg
  4. Chuck289

Chuck289 Air cooled

Oddometer:
  5. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 Nice!
  6. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chuck and Hayduke.

You made my day.

:1drink
  7. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    I really like the song. :thumb I'm going to watch the video again and try to learn the licks. Very cool. :thumb
  8. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    Hey electric guitar players,

I recently had the opportunity to mess around with a Telecaster my Dad has. I don't really play electric much at all, but I really liked the feel of the tele. I played his 71 (I think) Les Paul, his Stratocaster, and his Tele, and liked the Tele better by far.

Are all Tele's sort of the same, as far as feel? What I really liked was the baseball bat-like neck. :lol3 His is just a 2004 or so mexican made tele. I think I'm going to have to look for one, but trying to narrow down what to look for. Whatever it is, it will be on the lower end of the price spectrum...
  9. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are mostly the same. The semi-hollows will feel different, vintage tribute models are made to a different spec in the neck area usually, etc. But a Tele neck is pretty unique to itself.

If you're buying a Mexican one, have a shop check the frets out afterward. That's usually a skimping point, good fret leveling and filing. The stock pickups will probably be pleasing for quite awhile. I'd say look into a graphite nut pretty early, as that's the culprit for tuning issues on cheaper models. It's cheap and helps a lot.

Essentially, you'll get what you like about the feel in most Telecasters. Just look to improve hardware over time.
  10. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    Mostly the same. You get better parts as you move up the line though.

If you really like thick necks you should check out the 50's necked Gibson Les Pauls. The '54-59 have thick necks. '54-57's are considered baseball bats.
  11. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. That helps.

My Dad also had a weird Fender Telecaster Acoustic/electric; hollow body, f hole, acoustic style bridge with a bridge pickup inside, and one regular tele style pickup. The neck on that thing was quite a bit thinner, but it's a strange bird that Fender doesn't recollect making, anyway. Can find zero info on it. :lol3
  12. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read up. :D
  13. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    That's it! My Dad's is all black, though.

Terrible thing, IMHO. :lol3

He said he couldn't find any info; should have known someone on ADV would know about them. :lol3
  14. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A girlfriend of mine had a Japanese Strat from the same era. Can't vouch for those weird things (though I'd gladly take one) but the Japanese stuff from then usually gets credit for build quality and innovation.
  15. Chuck289

Chuck289 Air cooled

Oddometer:
    I have a made in Mexico standard Tele that I got in 2001. It's a great guitar. I swapped out the saddles for some Graphtech ones because I was breaking strings like crazy. The nut is fine and it stays in tune very well.

[​IMG]
  16. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a nice '91 American Tri-burst, it's on the wall on post 1281.
  17. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can also find new USA-made Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute models, which have P90's, for around $500, which is a steal. It will be the black or white finish, which is a cheap matte kind of paint, but they sound great and have a nice big 50's neck. They're also very light for a Les Paul. I have the 60's tribute with goldtop finish, which is the same basic guitar only with a slightly thinner neck. There's a pic of mine in this thread somewhere.

18. Hayduke

Oddometer:
    I mostly play acoustic, but I've been playing the electric the last few nights... pretty fun, actually.:thumb

Someday I'm going to play some serious twangy country leads. :strum

:lol3
  19. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm the opposite. I played electric for decades and just recently got serious into acoustic.

And so it goes.....
  20. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found some pics of my Jackson last night. I sold this one a few years ago, but wish I still had it.

[​IMG]

What happened to prices on Fenders over the last several years? You used to be able to buy a MIM Strat for $300, new, at any place like Sam Ash, Guitar Center, etc. Now they've gone up considerably, as have the American versions. And along with this, the asking price of used ones has gone nuts. Guys are asking $400 around here, for used MIM strats! It wasn't that long ago, you could pick one up for $200. Did they all of a sudden get nicer, or are they just appreciating? I'm still kicking myself for not buying that MIJ strat I saw in a pawn shop several years ago for $175!!!!! They are selling for $600+ around here now!