Stinky BMW gas mileage ?!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Uncle Ernie, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Started out with a full tank. Took a passenger that weighs around 120 pounds up the hills, through the dells, along the river. A fair amount of twisties and gear-changing. Put on 62 miles, went into the gas station and put a little over 2 gallons in the tank.

BTW- this is a BMW R100/2 conversion w Steib S500.

Is it possible I'm only getting around 30mpg ?!
  2. Blue Ridge Wheeltor

Blue Ridge Wheeltor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess it's possible. Most Urals get high twenties/low 30's. Any ethanol in the gas?
  3. muschelschubser

muschelschubser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's around 8l/100km, sounds normal.

Dirk, on a R100/Ural
  4. scottro

scottro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    R69 w/ R90 engine & Sputnik sidecar w/ 50-100lbs of ballast. 32ish when ridden gently and 29ish when ridden like a fiend.

But when people ask, I tell them 75 mpg :D

Heehee F'em !
  5. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get around 30 (less on the interstate) on both my GoldWing/GTL and V Strom/Ural. Neither bike is a mileage queen solo, however. As near as I can tell, the sidecar reduces mileage by 20-25% in local riding conditions, and maybe more than that running high speeds, which might make sense due to the significant drag of the car. 40 mpg on either a 1000 Strom or a Wing are in the ballpark (without a sidecar).
  6. Sidecardoug

Sidecardoug Pleasantly pleasing

Oddometer:
    Sounds about right to me. If I am flogging my R100/Ural rig I get about 28 mpg, treat it gently and I might get 36 mpg.

Sidecars do not lend themselves to good fuel economy. Something about hanging 250 pounds of air brake on the side of an unsuspecting motorcycle does not equal high fuel mileage.:D
  7. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's funny

Well, this is re-assuring. I was afraid I had major tuning problems and couldn't figure out the problem because it runs good. I DO know that BMW's have never been great gas mileage bikes, anyway.

(I'm reminded of a time several years ago when i was showing a guy a TR3 I was selling. Over the roar of the engine and wind he yells, "What kind of gas mileage does this get?" I looked over briefly to see if he was laughing. He was serious, so I yelled back, "Are you nuts?!"