KTM 950/990 ADV - 950 SE Kickstand Relocation Bracket

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by PABiker, Jul 8, 2009.

1. PABiker

PABiker Anywhere but here

Oddometer:

I just did a lookup on the part numbers for the different models. There are different part numbers for the '04 ADV vs. the '06 ADV vs. the '07/08/09 models. But I know that there is no issue with the ADV models.

As for the SE-R, the frames are a different part number from the ADV completely.

But based on what I can see from the part manual images, the differences are mostly in the upper sections of the frames and not the lower. The section that houses the footpegs and centerstand look identical so there should be no issue mounting my bracket on the SE-R.

Since I have a few weeks before I get the first production pieces, I am going to see if I can find somebody close to me that has an SE-R that I can test fit one on. Then I will be able to give you a definite answer.

If there is anybody near the Pittsburgh area and has a few minutes of time for me to look at your bike please let me know. I will not need to take anything off, just look at the attachement points to see if things will line up. Thanks.
  2. PABiker

Oddometer:
    It's a fix for both since the kickstand mounts the same on both bikes.
  3. KTM Pilot

KTM Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi PABiker,

could you re-shoot the following picture(s) with the chain pressed down with your finger to show that it can not hit the bracket?

Otherwise looks great:clap

[​IMG]

There is plenty of clearance to the chain (Bike is on centerstand with wheel at maximum travel:

[​IMG]

Bolted on before the bump-stop put in place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. PABiker

Oddometer:
    No problem.

While sitting on the kickstand:

[​IMG]

While on the centerstand:

[​IMG]

I was pressing pretty firmly when it was on the centerstand and the closest part of the chain measured 3/8" from the bracket.
  5. FastEddieB

FastEddieB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any thoughts on a nylon "rub block" there, just in case?
  6. PABiker

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure there needs to be one but I plan on taking the bike out tomorrow and see if there is any issue.

If I have to, I can look into putting something in that area.
  7. FastEddieB

FastEddieB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd say yes.

Design for the worst case scenario of a neglected chain much looser than spec - hey, it happens!

Or maybe just offer it as an option.
  8. PABiker

Oddometer:
    I will look into some sort of material that can be attached to that area. It would have to be glued on otherwise I will have to rev the bracket again to include mounting holes.
  9. lightfighter

lightfighter where does this go?

Oddometer:
    if it does touch there, it will be going in the proper direction to glide off anyway. leave 'er be, i say.
  10. sloMark

sloMark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey PABiker,

Just got home from work (17hr. day), had a horrible two days....I wanted to get out there in the lot with you for the test fit but wasn't able. Looks good!:clap :clap. Can you autograph mine?
  11. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Well done...I'll take two when they're ready.... :clap
  12. Adventureme

Adventureme Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It looks like a factory part, and it's not even done yet. I want one. And I don't even have an Adventure yet!!! Good work man, well done.
    Bob
  13. brewer90

brewer90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you losing any ground clearance with this? This picture makes it look like the kickstand is hanging down below the centerstand but it is at an angle so I really can't tell.

[​IMG]
  14. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Less is more. Dont solve a problem we arent sure exists.
  15. PABiker

Oddometer:

I designed it so the mounting point was at the exact same height as the original location. That way the bike would sit at the exact lean angle when on the stand.

Here is a pic looking straight on so you can see both mounting points, old and new:

[​IMG]

The mounting point is approx. 1.75" further out than the original location. This was as close to the bike as I could get in the new mounting location.

I'm pretty sure the kickstand always did sit lower than the centerstand. Here is a pic with both up:

[​IMG]
  16. Rich2wd

Rich2wd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day PABiker, is it possible to tap the lowest side stand mounting hole on your bracket without the tap cutting into the backside of the bracket?

Perhaps if that hole is tapped prior to the folding sequence.

Cheers Rich
  17. dezracer

dezracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent.:clap My only question now is how do you delete/disable the saftey switch? Did I miss that?
  18. RogerDe

RogerDe Dust In The Wind

Oddometer:
    Look's great, I'm looking forward to put 1 on my 07 SE, Great Job. I'm sure glad someone final took on a production run of this much needed part for the Adv & Se ...Really BAD design KTM made on these bike's......Ride on...Thank's again...:clap
  19. lightfighter

lightfighter where does this go?

Oddometer:
    someone could maybe overlay stock and this pic, but it looks like in the up position, the lowest portion of the side stand is further back... where it use to go under the peg, it now dips down for no real reason. so i would surmise that the visual appearance of ground clearance loss is an optical illusion. stand by while i try to overlay the two photos, ive seen it done but ive never tried it.
  20. PABiker

Oddometer:
    Rich,

Unfortunately it is not possible due to the metal stretching during the bending process. If the hole were drilled before the bend, it would end up oblong after. All the holes except the 3 for the kickstand are actually cut by the laser during the cut-out process. I then have to send the bracket to a michine shop to have the 3 for the kickstand done on a CNC vertical mill so they are exactly in the correct location for both the 950 and 990 kickstands.

Because the kickstand switch for the 950 hangs off the back of the kickstand, I had to machine the holes that close to the bottom. And since the spring bolt is the lowerst, we had to drill slighty into the bottom of the bracket and tap it so the bolt would seat all the way. It does not come all the way through the bottom.

Thanks.