Rocky Mountain Dirt Bike Tires...

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by pfb, Mar 4, 2012.

1. grub

grub Requires Supervision

Oddometer:
    Thats why you guys make the big bucks, I like that alot, on my way out to the garage right now while I am thinking about it :deal
  2. silverboy

silverboy Bunny

Oddometer:
    I use a Pirelli scorpion on my front. Great tire and it's dot rated. It is the best front I have used.
    For the rear I swear by maxxis desert it. Will run flat with tubliss for hours.
    It is not dot. I wonder if I'll just get half a ticket? Has anyone gotten two tickets, one for each tire?
  3. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    A little scrub with some 600 grit will polish up the removal mark.

Of course I'm just saying all this for internet cred.. I would never do this in real life.

You mean until it peels off all the side knobs in 1 day of riding at Taylor... just like mine?
  4. Harpua

Harpua formerly josdavlar

Oddometer:
    i'm not trying to be a jerk, but wtf? the cops in CO are checking your tires to make sure they're DOT? don't they have anything better to do? jeez louise!

reminds me of a trip i made to CO a while back visiting a number of the ski areas in the off season. camping was impossible in the national forests it seemed... always had to be in official campgrounds and had to pay. maybe i was doing something wrong?

is colorado really such a law saddled state? please tell me it ain't so!
  5. Olas

Olas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, you're doing it wrong :)
  6. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    Depends on which part of the state.

7. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    You must have been camping in only the busiest areas in the state. I have never once paid to camp in the National Forest in Colorado. Or you were reading the regs wrong. :dunno Around Salida/Buena Vista there are a few areas (Cottonwood Pass area is the only one off the top of my head) that you HAVE to camp in a designated campground, but those places are always so busy, I avoid them like the plague anyway. Sorry you missed out on the good parts of Colorado.

edit: I just realized you said you were visiting the ski areas in the off season; well yeah. That's like camping in the Disney world parking lot! :lol3

BTW; I've never had a cop check tires; I think that's only in Boulder. :lol3
  8. grub

Oddometer:
    and the San Luis Valley - you have that honest face and good nature, I just have to rely on my rugged good looks and sometimes that intimidates the troopers :D
  9. Harpua

Harpua formerly josdavlar

Oddometer:
    well this is good news, then. i guess i was assuming at the time that the off season meant dead as a door nail. guess i was wrong!

needless to say, i'm not a big fan of rules. that's why i live in new mexico! land of the free and home of the drunk.

:freaky
  10. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Duke is wrong.
    Pretty much all the riding in Colorado sucks... Hardly worth visiting.
    We usually head out to Kansas when we want to ride the good stuff.
  11. grub

Oddometer:
    My Michelin Cross Competition S12 front has no letters to remove, I can't make it "street legal" :cry

But if you are looking for an aggressive front that seems to hold up well to rocks you might give it a try, I have no idea what it will do on the slab but it has made a believer out of me on trails.

[​IMG]
  12. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem when running the S-12xc rear.. no way to modify.

Can't go with you on the S-12 front. That tire lasted me 3 days at lefthand before peeling knobs and the sidewalls are kinda weak (had to run 15psi to keep from dinging the rim). If you like that one, I bet you'd find the Bridgestone M59 (at 11-12 psi) a big step up.
  13. grub

Oddometer:
    Thanks thump I'll give that a try, I bought it locally and they don't always have the same tire so I will try that one next. I haven't had any problems losing knobs on this one, I really like the way it digs in going down. I go through about two fronts a year on the trail bike and used to eat up four or five backs until I went to the MT43, that tire is just lasting crazy long.
  14. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    I think tires just don't like me. During summer I average a rear knobbie every other week and a front every 3 weeks (riding out my back door 3-5x/week). MT43 rear lasts about a month though. I love that tire in everything except loose/loamy stuff.
  15. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking of tires, if I buy a set online do I need to schlep them down to Woodies to get them mounted at a reasonable price?
    I know I can do them myself but I need a break from wrenching.
  16. Asatrur

Asatrur KLR adv rider

Oddometer:
    Looking to replace my stock tires on the KLR and am looking at Kenda K270. I know they are not as fancy or high-priced as some rubber, but they seem to have a decent rep.
    Thoughts?
  17. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Bob you can get them done @ Epic in longmont. You might want to check with their prices too.. as often they'll match mailorder and that way you can just get the entire thing done with them.
  18. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great suggestion. I forgot all about them. That's what happens when you own a Wee Strom for a long time - you forget where the bike shops are.
  19. grub

Oddometer:
    I know a lot of people like them, I've never tried any.
  20. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the dirt they are actually pretty decent for what they are. I hated them on the street, and found them very unpredictable in corners.