International Drivers Licence

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Ulyses, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Ulyses

Ulyses Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, I just found out the AAA can make international drivers licences for $15. I'm getting ready to ride for TDF in a few weeks. Has anyone ever got one of these things? Is it worth the time and money to get one?
  2. TheRoss

TheRoss IBA# 522, MOA, ABC Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sure someone here will chime in with an informed answer (more informed than my answer would be), but if not you might go over to Horizons Unlimited and ask the question there.
  3. g®eg

g®eg world's fastest drone

Oddometer:
    there was a big debate about it earlier in a different thread.
    boils down to people who get em and people who don't
    I'm a "don't" and its never been a problem, the do's it seems have never been asked for theirs either :dunno

for example: LINK
  4. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    The AAA International Drivers license has so far been worthless to me on my travels through Mexico, Central, and South America. No one has ever asked to see it at any border or police or military checkpoint, and the bad cop I tried to give it to in Nicaragua didn't accept it. But I still carry it, because you never know, and it's only 15 bucks.
  5. Ulyses

Ulyses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I got a couple just in case so we'll see if they end up being useful.
  6. miguelitro

miguelitro I like the ads, in fact, give me more ads.

Oddometer:
    I picked one up last time i was in the states just so i can have one more piece of paper just in case. I subscribe to the baffle them with bullshit approach down here. i then found out it makes getting my ecuadorian drivers licence much easier.
    mike
  7. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well if it costs 15 dollars, then I fail to see the point of NOT getting one. Saving 15 dollars, or even “never been asked” does not really qualify in my view, when you are heading towards some uncharted territory (for you). Paperwork, and getting along with the officials can be a bitch in some places, the IDL is actually just a translation of the fact, that you hold a valid drivers license, definitely won´t do you any harm to have it with you, except maybe that you´re 15 dollars poorer. I actually remember that I have been asked to show it sometimes.

(But that´s just my 0.02 on the subject)
  8. mytuffbeast

mytuffbeast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I always carry it with me. You might never get ask for it. But if you don't have it and any corrupted cop anywhere run out of excuses to get a brive ……. Hey is only $15. I know in chile and argentina this DL has a lot of respect and looks very official. In canada I drove for 6 month with the ITerNationa DL before I got the canadian DL.
  9. DeepInIt

DeepInIt Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated earlier, you will never be asked for it and if you try to use it, they won't accept it but it doesn't hurt to have it.

More importantly is having multiple copies of your state drivers license and making sure it is designated for riding a motorcycle. I won't debate legalities but if you can get multiple real licenses, do it. Probably this involves losing one. That license will no longer be valid in the states but is wonderful for the road. Make really good copies of your license to use for the cops in CA. Never hand them your real one and when they ask if this is original, say yes.

It is now possible to get both a passport and the passport card. The passport card is usable as identification while your passport is somewhere safe. Get both. Also, it is great to have extra pages in your passport. If you get a new passport, ask for extra pages, they are free. If you get pages sewn in while you are in a major city abroad, they are free. If you get them for your existing passport in the states, they cost a lot. Running out of pages sucks. On a dirt bike you can cross the Argentina/Chile border enough times on dirt passes (the best) to fill up your passport (done that). :lol3
  10. abnslr

abnslr rides a motorcycle

Oddometer:
    I've carried one when travelling for years (Asia, Europe, Africa) and never been asked for it, even by rental car companies. I keep getting a new one every year, though, on the theory that if I DON'T have it, then I'll need it.
  11. mundobravo

mundobravo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have one , only show it when even asked for my "papers". Good to leave behind if need be. I also "lost" my US DL so now I can leave one of them also .
  12. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    Got one for a trip to Europe, nice souvenir. Rented throughout SA and Carib without ever needing. For $15 what do you realistically expect to get?
  13. Katze

Katze Full Time Rider

Oddometer:
    Worthless
  14. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    A Triple A scam. Don't forget AAA is really just an insurance company. That ought to e/plain everything.
  15. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Howdy,
    Since all the countries on your trip use the same alphabet as us, it's not as useful as in places such as China or Russia. On an enforcement stop, I've been given an International Driver's License from some eastern European country with a different alphabet and it was a big help. It may help down south and certainly couldn't hurt. I'll spend the $15 for my upcoming South American jaunt. Just as an FYI, the international driver's license is NOT valid without the license of the home country, at least here in the USA.
  16. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    In five years in Mexico, never been asked for my DL by anyone other than the Banjercito while getting a TVIP. My wife did get pulled over by a MC traffic cop in Hermosillo. The DL was only used as a device to obscure the mordida being handed over. The DL was handed right back less the 20 peso note.

I suggest following the advice on reporting your DL lost and getting a replacement issued. Failing that, just make a really good copy of both sides and laminate it. You can also find fake DL's on the web but they might cost more than a real 2nd license.
  17. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    I did decide to get one prior to departing for my ride down south. Didn't think I would need it, but thought that if I actually had to hand over some kind of documentation to some crooked cop, that's my go to.... Thought about not getting it, but went ahead anyway... Am I better off with it???? Not sure.... Yet....
  18. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those that ride down South away from the PanAm countries I would strongly suggest getting the license, there are actually two that you can get, IIRC one works for Brazil where the other doesn't. Crossing out of Venezuela into Brazil at Santa Elena I was asked for my International Drivers license on the Brazil side along with my state issued drivers license that is required along with the international permit and damn it I didn't have just 10 or so days left on my OK drivers license and they weren't going to give me more time in country than my license was valid for:eek1 Glad I only needed to go down to Manaus and drop off some tires or I would have been in a bit of a bind.

It's cheap to get them and you can get a little creative with them and make them last for more than a year using a rubber eraser:wink:

In Latin America they love their paper work so why not throw two more international drivers licenses at them:lol3 Brazil was the only place so far that has ever asked for one btw Pan American side ought to be all clear.
  19. DKW1200

DKW1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While traveling through several countries I've never used it UNTIL I crossed into Peru from Bolivia. The Peruvian border police were looking for an easy buck. They asked to see not only my INTERNATIONAL license but yellow card, international insurance (purchases in the US), title, etc. They were really pissed when I had all the required documents. I left laughing and they were speechless. Just goes to show "be prepared" and smile as you give them everything they asked for. chow
  20. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chow ? Is it time for dinner ?