Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    I'm not this far in my thinking, since I won't be doing this until sometime next summer. But I like the idea.
  2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    The soupy link and side stand went on as easy as it should have. Fairly quickly, which was good. I already have a shortage of time to spend in the garage.

I dropped the front about 1.5" in the triples and the (adjustable) link brought the back down about 2.5".

Here she is, finally flat footed on a bike:

[​IMG]

The only gripe we still have with it is the rear brake. Anybody tried changing to a different brand pad to get a little more feeling out of it?

There's a few other things we'll add to the bike - bar warmers, hand guards and some sliders. And some levers that are friendlier to small hands.

Aside from that, Honda did really well with this bike.
  3. Adelphos

Adelphos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks really good lowered. Glad to hear it's easily doable for the short folks out there.

Let us know what levers you find. When I sat on the CBR version I really didn't like those either. I'm assuming they're the same.

How tall is your wife, for reference? I'm 5'8" but my lady is only 5'1" with about a 27" inseam and only 105lbs so finding bikes is near impossible.
  4. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    She's a bit over 5-1". Around 110lbs. She's got some Daytona Lady Star boots. Adds a bit of height. She said I could even raise the bike up a bit.

We went through some tough times finding a nice bike for her. I know your pain. She doesn't like cruisers and most bikes are to heavy for her. Her first bike was a KE100 a few years ago. Fond memories, there. Then the Ninja 250, a lowered KTM 640SM and now the CB5X. We'll have this bike for awhile.
  5. Adelphos

Oddometer:
    Thanks, man.

Honestly she just likes riding along but I HATE riding two up. I don't want to force her onto a bike of her own but we'll see. Giving rides takes all the fun out for me unless its a commuting thing where we're going to the same place quick.

I'm even considering a scooter for her to cruise around town with me. Then we can two up occasionally if we go camping from the bike or something.

Either way, thanks for the feedback.
  6. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    Wow, the 500X seems like a solid ADV-lite platform to me. Perhaps like a KLR or G650GS with about the same weight (430# ish), with more on-road smoothness and modern engine architecture at the cost of off-road ability?

With upgraded longer-travel suspension and and either a 19"F/17"R or 21" F/18"R wheel conversion, I feel that this bike could be a really sweet 1-up gravel road explorer.

relatively light weight
    runs on regular
    frugal modern engine with a reasonably large gas tank (for good range)
    relatively low red-line (for durability)
    compact parallel twin
    solid aftermarket support
    valves can be adjusted without pulling cams
    rjm200254 likes this.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    As is, I can see some running a skid plate, front TKC-80s and rear K60 on on this bike and doing light off-road.

8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    5.5" of front travel...
    will the top of the fork hit the lower triple clamp under full compression???

9. Cdc28p

Cdc28p Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another question for dirtydeeds: how does the lowered CB500x handle? Do you notice any significant difference from before the lowering?
  10. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Long timer

Oddometer:
    No it won't, about 5cm left
  11. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    My specs said the front has 125mm/4.9" of travel; so that's what I left between the seal and the lower triple.

I thought it handles a bit slower at low speeds. I never did get it out on highway to test it out. I imagine its a bit more stable.
  12. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    @eakins: did not mean to imply the stock bike isn't up for an adventure...I just have enough inseam to give it more travel and would like enjoy the challenge of the project.

@cdc28p: dirtydeeds' bike *should* handle differently since the rear was lowered more than the front, increasing rake and slowing turn-in
  13. Adelphos

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the increments on the rear adjustment? If I were to lower it "I click" down in the rear does anyone know if that'd be a half inch, more, less etc?

I'll likely be just fine at stock seat height but am curious what my options are. I wouldn't bring it down more than one notch on the preload adjuster.
  14. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    After putting some more miles on my bike, I'm thinking the CB500x could be moved over to the road warrior section, sure it would handle dirt roads and some mild fire trail and two tracks a lot better than my 2003 shadow ace, but it would also blow it away on the twisties. The more I ride this bike, the better it gets. It's going to make a great back road tourer.
    [​IMG]
  15. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    Greetings.

Still like the potintial of this bike as a light sport touring vehicle.

I took a fairly conservative approach to the bike.
    I'll be donig a good amount of winter riding.
    http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb500x/build.aspx

Heat grips kit: $60
    Heat Grips: $230
    Hand Guards: $120
    Rear Tire hugger: $120
    Tall Window Screen: $200.

Possible additions:

I thought the Air deflector would hurt fuel economy during the summer months of riding. It's $130.

Under Cowl: $55. Most likely has zero protection from objects below. The description says nothing of protection.

Rear Carrier: $200. This looks like it does not need a kit to go with it. Would be good for extra length and options to tie stuff down.

_
    Cargo: I'm not going down that route. Very expensive. I'll just strap bags and stuff I already have.

__

Questions:

1. Like with a car, all those accessories that are put on in the garage add labor costs to the OTD price, correct?
    I'd be paying with cash, so I can hopefully get some of these extra charges down.

2. Do you'all know of any better options to go with from what I listed?

3. Having these accessories put on at the garage will allow them to be covered in the 12 month warrenty, correct?

__
    Thanks for reading.
  16. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    Greetings once again.

5'-8" 162lbs. When I set on the 500X I'm completed flat footed, and have a good amount of bend in the leg.

When I seat on the dl650, I can almost touch the back of my heel flat.

I keep going back and forth on the 2012 V-Strom (base) and the 500X.

I'd need a touring vehicle that can do thousands of miles on the tarmac. Particularlly at less than 60mph, and avoiding the Interstate (65-80mph)

The off-road excursions would be just for finding a place to camp for the night. However, in Alaska/Canada and in parts of WY dirt like roads are frequent.

After puting a after market skid plate on the V-strom, I'd feel good about her 19" tire (stock tires) and 6.9" ground clearance. Plus, the 43mm front fork and better suspension are nice.

However,
    the lower center of gravity (bike felt really light with no fuel in her),
    lighter weight ( about 35lbs when adjusted for fuel vs the 5.3 gallons in the Suzuki)
    and the 55" wheel base,

has me believing at SLOWER speeds the 500X would do just as well. I guess the bike would need to be crawling.

Knobby tires would be put on at Fairbanks to ride north. But, other than that, I'd like to go stock or 85% street tire.

Anyone with solid insight on riding off -road, if it is not too much trouble, could provide any quick thoughts? Thank you.

__
    I'm thinking it is about a wash. But, I'd have to error on the side of going with a tire that is closes to 21", and the more suspension the better.
    So as a noob/poser potintial buyer, I'd say V-Strom.

Thanks again for reading.
  17. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you're thought this through pretty well. My take is that you'd be happier with the 500X because with your stature, you'd find it to be a lot more manageable. That's not to say you couldn't manage the Wee, but it has always been a relatively large/rangy bike, most suitable for bigger riders. And I don't see you have any overriding need for the Wee's slightly better off-road capability, nor have any desire for higher power. (Whether the Wee is actually a lot better off tarmac is somewhat debatable anyway - it has the 19" front end and perhaps a little more ground clearance.... OTOH, it is heavier and most casual dirt riders prefer a lower seat height so they can dog-paddle through rough sections. The big drawback on the X right now would seem to be whether you could get any kind of reasonable sump protection, but again, for casual off-tarmac, you could get by with nothing. The skid plates on the Wee aren't that great either.)

And $2K savings is nothing to sneeze at.

- Mark
  19. fragile_this_side_up

fragile_this_side_up Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to buy a 500x originally, but couldn't wait any longer and picked up a used 2012 Wee at a steal of a price. the weight of the bike seems to go away once moving over 2 mph. i'm only 165lbs, 5-10 on a good day. i haven't had any trouble in 7200 miles. gravel, dirt, or slab. i haven't done anything serious but i have gone blasting down gravel at about 40-45mph and it is extremely comfortable. Wee's sell good for good reason.

that being said, i still have buyers remorse for not getting the 500x. i don't think i'd be as happy with the CB vs my Wee, but if i never would have ridden the Wee i wouldn't know what i'd be missing. (if anything at all).

good luck to you in your quest. One bike doesn't work for all, that's for sure, and everyone has opinions.
  20. bbrz

bbrz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back from my little Indy trip, and kind of feel like I am at the wrong place here on "Beasts", but do have some input that may fit both the Dirt and Street crowds. The adj. windshield up high is for taller folks (Duh). The dash is always visible with the changes in lighting. The fuel cap not being hinged is kind of a drag at concrete islands with tall, modern pumps. Seat take off is easy, but re install requires fitting, easy to not get right. Enclosed rear under tail keeps things tidy out back. The Matte finish does not show dust, or dirt easily. Excellent fuel mileage @75+, and comfy,too. Longer travel at both ends makes crappy roads/streets easy to tolerate (my sport bikes beat me up). Inner city riding is a gas! Up high, narrow, 'tard like in neighborhoods. Not a do all or end all bike, but know your need vs. want and it pays back in spades. With minimal trails here, and rough roads, I am having a blast with this purchase. Agree with LOOP, we need space on "Road Warriors" to let the Dirt guys post more.