KTM 990 SUPERMOTO-R Thread???

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ktmMike, Jun 7, 2011.

1. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    mine's been pretty trouble free - depending on the mileage I'd just wanna see oil changes and maybe valve check. I do 200-350 miles without my arse aching, I think the biggest issue is wind fatigue, especially at supralegal speeds. on most good roads I'm too busy riding the bike to feel my butt or the wind. I do have the KTM windscreen, which helps a lot, especially in the winter.

that said, I did just buy (haven't received it yet) a Seat Concepts seat for mine, just to see if I like it. It's supposed to be a tad taller than the OEM SMR seat. If I like it I can sell the stocker, or if I don't I can flip the SC unit. Good luck with your deal!

PMR
  2. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2010 SMR and found the stock seat to be OK for me. For comparison the stock seat on my 690r enduro was a brick. The only problem I have had with my SMR was an immobilizer failure-the immobilizer is part of the coded key security system. One morning it simply would not even turn over because the system had failed somehow and the bike was basically bricked. Thanks to inmates here I discovered a way around the immobilizer system by using a 2008 990 superduke ecu. This was in June and I am still waiting for a new immobilizer to arrive! No worries since I am happily riding the bike-otherwise I would be really really upset! Besides that the bike has been fine and a blast to ride, although it may be going bye-bye if I decide to get the 1190r Adventure.
  3. ktmMike

ktmMike Long timer

Oddometer:

Revere Road: The last workmen finishing up. Road is open.

[​IMG]

4. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    Anybody looking to trade or sell their SMR or SMT? I'm trying to sell my 919 so that I can find something taller.
  5. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a shim kit. Planning on checking valves in the next 1000 miles or so. You guys that have done it, are yours still in spec or did you need to swap shims? Looks like an all day project, at least the first time.
  6. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
    I think mine were in spec although I agonized over the definition of "slight drag." I could just squeeze in the largest straight blade feeler.

Tear down to check is pretty quick although I wasted a bunch of time on two silly items. 1) loosen all four clamps to remove the throttle bodies the first time. 2) don't remove the throttle cables, just bungy the whole assembly to the handle bars.
  7. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    Thanks, appreciate it. I'd be curious to know what percentage of bikes are within spec when the valves are checked. Thumpers aside, I've never had to make much of an adjustment on Japanese bikes.
  8. Velociraptor

Oddometer:
    A little bit off topic but today I finally saw and sat on the 1190 Adventure R. Decided to keep my SMR! Did not get to ride the 1190 due to weather, but the bike seemed very large and heavy compared to the SMR. So SMR-1, 1190 Adventure R-0. Of course there is the 1290 SuperDuke R on the horizon....., but for now the SMR still rules.
  9. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    SMR ftw!
  10. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    My Honda 919 is sold! Now to find a KTM 950 / 990 supermoto over the winter...
  11. Velociraptor

Oddometer:
    My SMR is going to get sold to make room for the new 1290 Superduke R, but it looks like that will be next spring at the earliest so probably not going to work for you. Also I am a long way away from you. I am sure you can find an SMR closer to home! Love my SMR and decided against the 1190 Adventure R, but the new 1290 is just too tempting!!
  12. TripleDaddy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info; I sent you a PM with my info.
  13. ktmMike

ktmMike Long timer

Oddometer:

Hi Craig,
    I'm trying to remember if I had to change a shim on this 990.
    I've had 5 KTM's that all use the same shim set. I know I changed some on both 950's, & the 690 & the 530, but I just can't remember for sure whether I just checked them on the 990 SM-R, or actually had to change one. Either way, it's not difficult or time consuming if you have a good magnet for the buckets, and a short metric torque wrench for the cam bearings.

14. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    Craig if you do your valve check at your house let me know I'll come over and help. I've have any tool you could ever possibly want and I mean any tool. Just tell me what to bring and when and I'll be there.

Jeff
  15. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    Have any of you guys with slip-on's (I have the Leo's) changed your fueling map? Did it make any difference, actual dyno results or SOP (seat of pants) difference? Also, I haven't done any mods, but was thinking about removing the secondarys while I have it apart for the valve adjustment. Any opinions?
  16. Velociraptor

Oddometer:
    This is the place to get those answers. Kevvtx is the man for fuel mapping stuff.

http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3770

I have the Akra slipons. I ended up with an MK3 high flow airbox, Power Commander, and Autotune set to an air fuel ratio of 13.5. Bike runs way smoother than stock and probably makes more power, but I have never put it on a dyno. I took the secondaries out too but left the actuator rod. So I used TuneEcu to put a custom map in the ECU, then have another custom map in the Power Commander,then the autotune to mod the Powercomannder map to try and keep the air fuel ratio to 13.5. Kinda complicated I guess....... The worst part of all of this was for the autotune. You have to install new O2 sensors in the exhausts and installing the rear one was a major pain due to space limitations.

Just pulling the secondary might smooth the throttle repsonse some but you might need to mod the map in the ECU. I used to be up on this stuff, but it has been a year or so since I last messed with the tuning so I forgot some of the details.
  17. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I registered on KTMSMT last month and have been reading the technical threads since. I'm very handy with a wrench but computers / software, not so much. Never changed a map on a bike, and none of mine have a power commander. I've done quite a bit of re-jetting on carbs, but FI is something I haven't played around with. I would love to ride a 990 that had been re-mapped, and compare it to mine. It's only 3200 miles to Seattle, maybe I'll ride out some day and we can swap bikes :D
  18. Velociraptor

Oddometer:
    Doing all the stuff I did does not make a huge difference. Mostly just smoother throttle response. Maybe 10 more hp but hard to tell. I always felt like the engine on my 2002 RC51 was stronger than the engine on my 2010 SMR(even with the mods). That is the reason I put a deposit down on the 1290 Superduke. I like the look of the SMR better than the 1290, but that 1290 motor is going to be sweet, and with that much power stock, and testers reporting very smooth throttle response, I doubt I will get into engine mapping like I did on the SMR.
  19. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    I'm not after more HP, just would like to smooth out what I have. I probably don't ride the bike to 50% of it's potential anyway, even on the track. My dealer said they can't order a 1290 until next month (or January) IIRC, I can't wait to see it! But I love the looks of my SMR more better.
  20. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Im thinking hard about that 1290 duke too.