iPhone + Navigon vs a real gps

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by doctor_big, Oct 15, 2010.

1. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:

The correct phone, in the right hands, loaded with an appropriate app, and with cached maps, that is absolutely not true.
  2. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor, TOI T1 finisher

Oddometer:
    LOL, how many times have we answered this question now???
  3. Oz-Strom

Oz-Strom Still trying

Oddometer:
    iphone case and mount
    another option I found recently

not sure if this one has been discussed - from the UK

Is it rugged enough for offroad adv riding? Looks interesting

http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/de...case___823.htm

See post here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17568478&postcount=32

mount may be not durable for offroad

utube vid here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pW_Zvd2ao0

Have hardwire kits too that seem to fit with the waterproof case

http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/ha...dock___818.htm

Also see post on map app here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17175157&postcount=23
  4. HSRacer

HSRacer Banned

Oddometer:
    The links to the website don't work.
  5. MetalHeadT

MetalHeadT 2000 DRZ400E

Oddometer:
    I'm having trouble with MotionX when I import a gpx it starts off with it's regular name then it changes it to Import1.gpx, then Import2.gpx, even if I change the name it changes them back. What the heck?
  6. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use Navigon. It's expensive for an iPhone app, but worth it IMO. It works without GPS and works just as well as a much more expensive (if we're talking about the price of the app, not the iPhone, which you already have anyhow) dedicated GPS. I've used it for probably five thousand miles of car travel and probably six to seven thousand miles of bike travel. One big downside to Navigon is that it will sometimes freeze up or quit working and require a restart. Fortunately, this only happens minimally. Also, once you've chosen a route, if you deviate from that route, it will give you directions to get you back onto that route, rather than give you the newest 'fastest route.' If I get far enough off of my route for whatever reason, I just cancel the directions and have it renavigate. Navigon isn't perfect, but it's damn good.

I used to have a crappy bicycle mount that I used for the iPhone and would have thick rubber bands around it to keep it in place. I did a 1700 mile trip, some of it in the rain (with the phone in a ziplock bag), with it in that holder. It worked beautifully. I recently bought a new bike mounted case for it. It is a case made by Ultimate Addons that I bought from Amazon. It is designed for the iPhone 3G/GS, but they also sell one for the iPhone 4/4S. It is waterproof (I tested this with a hose and not a drop got in) and allows a charger and/or headphones to be used with it while maintaining its waterproofness. I tested this out with a charger, but not with headphones, as I don't use them while riding. The touchscreen works while it is in the case perfectly - huge plus! I will say that I haven't had this setup for very long and can't speak of its durability/longevity. I will say, however, that it feels really solid, and I don't anticipate any problems with it. Here are some pictures of it mounted to my bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is designed to be mounted to a motorcycle's handlebars by replacing one of the handlebar clamp bolts (and replaced with one from the kit). My bike has clip-ons instead of handlbars and thus doesn't vertical handlebar clamp bolts. It does, however, have bolts that are attached vertically that hold the triple tree to the forks. I cut down, smoothed out, and re-drilled a stainless steel bracket to overcome this problem.

[​IMG]

I then attached the bracket to the triple tree bolt and then attached the mount to the bracket. It works perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mount can rotate 360 degrees and can tilt nearly vertical in all directions. There is more adjustability than could possibly be needed.
  7. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice!
    I've been contemplating adding GPS to my SV650s and I think I am going to try the model from Ram-mount. They make a mount specifically for sv650s and a universal holder that will hold my iphone while in the otterbox. Not waterproof, though.

Also, I'm looking at the tomtom or magellan apps. Haven't looked into navigon much. Anyone use the tomtom or magellan apps?
  8. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    From what I hear, the Ram-mounts are the way to go. I was planning to eventually put a dedicated GPS system onto the bike... But with how well the iPhone is working, I'm not so sure I'll actually add a GPS unit anymore.

I've never used either of those apps. However, I have a Tomtom for my car and love it. I really don't have any real complaints... Of course, I don't use it very heavily. I also have a Magellan handheld unit, and it is a huge piece of junk. The interface is very clunky, I had many software problems, and their customer service is all overseas and worthless. Magellan has the absolute worst customer service of any company I have ever dealt with. I can't ever remember being more frustrated dealing with a company than I was with Magellan. I will never buy a single product of theirs again, and encourage others not to as well, after having to deal with their 'customer service' department.
  9. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I have tried Navigon, TomTom and Megellan. The Navigon (owned by Garmin) app is the best of the 3 for sure.
    I have not experienced the freeze up that Max384 has, mine has worked flawlessly in the 3 years that I've been using it. Before someone even says it, you do not need a cell signal to use these GPS apps, they cache all of the maps in the phone memory, pick up your location with the phone's GPS chip and will work anywhere reguardless of cell signal.
    Live Traffic is well worth the in app purchase too.
  10. bcrider48

bcrider48 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone using these off-road? I'm looking at Garmin stand alone units but researching mounting my iPhone 4 and using Garmin's app. Main concern is detailed maps like TOPO for exploring the middle of nowhere and vibration issues.
  11. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    To be fair, my app freezing issues may be due to my phone needing updates, not necessarily the app (though, this is just a guess). It hasn't been updated in nearly a year. I have a new computer and haven't gone about making that my new main itunes library for my phone (or whatever Apple refers to it as). My one big beef with Apple is that it's such a pain to sync apps if you use more than one computer.

It's good to hear that you've tried those others and like Navigon the best. I haven't found a good enough reason to want to purchase another GPS program, but it's always good to hear I made a wise purchase.
  12. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I use mine off-road as well, but I use Motion X GPS for track logging. I use a RAM mount and I've never had any issues at all.
    I have sold my Garmin 376c because the iPhone with these apps is truly a do it all tool!
  13. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just recently found out that you don't need a 3g signal to use gps (as long as maps are stored in phone). I had been contemplating a dedicated unit, but before I spend $100+ I'll try one of the iphone apps first.

Do the apps ever go on sale? I know there are some $40 or $50 apps that will occasionally be offered for around half price or at least a sizable discount. Anybody experienced this with one of the major gps apps?
  14. bcrider48

bcrider48 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For offroad, I just downloaded the TOPO iPhone app for $7.00. Haven't tested yet but all reviews are :thumbup Will probably install Garmin Street Pilot for on-road nav but it looks like there are quite a few apps that are less expensive.
  15. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    What/how do you plan to use it? Maybe we can point you towards the right app.

Yes, apps do go on sale. But which ones and when isn't very predictable. Sometimes a paid app will even be free for a limited time (if you "buy" a free app, you will still be allowed to download it for free as many times as you want in future, even if it goes from free to paid).
  16. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    There are apps that do nothing but tell you when other apps are free or on special. Look for Chomp, AppsGoneFree, AppMiner, Free App Genie, there are many.
  17. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Wow. Thanks a lot for this tip! I didn't know this setting was even available. During the winter, there is absolutely no chance of my winter gloves activating the touch screen. My summer gloves will activate it, but I have to push really hard and try several times. It really is a pain when someone texts me right after I take off.

This is great to know!
  18. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    it's been two years since this thread started... so is Navigon still the best app for iphone 4?
    can one download maps outside of US to Navigon?
  19. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    I may be wrong, but from what I can tell, you have to buy a separate Navigon app for other areas of the world. They offer many apps with maps for what seems like most of the world. However, I haven't found a place where you can just download the maps. I suspect you cannot do this because they offer the different apps for sale at varying prices, depending upon what part of the world they provide map coverage for. Search for Navigon on the App store on your iPhone, and you'll see what I mean.

I have the North American edition, which has maps for all of the US and Canada, which is all that I need at this present time. If I was a world traveler on my bike, I don't think I would opt for Navigon. Rather, I'd buy a dedicated unit with worldwide map support.
  20. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks... so I take it one cannot download different maps without purchasing a new Navigon app.
    that's not going to work as I'm setting up to go RTW... back to a dedicated GPS.