Husaberg 70 Degree Owners Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KayaKTM, Nov 22, 2010.

1. RememberTheFallen

RememberTheFallen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha, should have said "upcoming" moto camping! That weekend was too dang cold for me to not have truck close by! Good meeting you! Hope your Razr is doing ok.
  2. SmileyRider

SmileyRider With lots of Teeth

Oddometer:
    I've got a quick question about fuse 2.
    I took my 2011 fe390 out today and it died on me. One of the first thing I checked was the fuses and fuse 2 was blown. I replaced it and when I tried to start bike the fuse popped again immediately. I looked it up and if i am correct fuse 2 is for the fuel pump.
    So my question is, do the faulty fuel pumps pop fuses? Or does this sound more like a grounding problem? The bike only has 150kms on it, which isnt enough to chafe wires, which leads me to believe it may be a stalled fuel pump which could be drawing alot of current and popping the fuses.
    Does this make sense? Im not an electrical guy

Edit. Never mind guys I found the answer over on husaberg.org
    My fuel pump wire melted on my heat shield
  3. hillwalker

hillwalker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey SR, Just curious if your bike was bone stock and it melted the wire? Or, had the tank been off before? Hoping to learn how to avoid this potential trouble. Thanks!!
  4. SmileyRider

SmileyRider With lots of Teeth

Oddometer:
    It was my fault. I just put a lighting kit on my bike and had the tank off to run wires. I did not realize those wires were so close to the exhaust.
  5. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Humanbeingexpert

Humanbeingexpert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any idea what is a decent price for a street legal 2011 570 in So Calif with ~2500 miles on it? Thx
  7. rensho

rensho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    5500-6500 depending on condition and extras.
  8. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    lost rider is to blame for my upcoming berg purchase, picking one up tomorrow.

Anything to look out for? it's an 09 570, its got 6000km, all the bits and pieces to protect the bottom and radiators. Mostly want to get it reliable for solo hammock camping trips in deep gulleys of the jungle.
    Do you guys carry spare injectors, and batteries for remote trips?
  9. bikerbilly

bikerbilly throwing a leg over

Oddometer:
    anyone know any tricks to making the rear brake not so touchy that it locks up in a pinch???
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Try different types of pads, less grabby ones.
  11. bikerbilly

bikerbilly throwing a leg over

Oddometer:
    yeah thought about that, may have to try...
  12. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Pull the pads off and rub them smooth with sand paper. That should work for a bit.

HF :thumbup
  13. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Could you convert the super Moto to the dirt model with out much headache? I get the wheels are different but so is the front caliper. Would the caliper clear the spokes on the 21" set up? Are there any other differences between the two bikes? Suspension travel etc...

Thanx
  14. GratefulKicks

GratefulKicks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the market for a new bike and there's a BRAND NEW 2011 FE390 in my neck of the woods for sale. It's obviously being sold for way less than MSRP. I've never ridden a 'Berg but it seems like they're awesome bikes with a loyal rider fan base.

I think the 390 would be a terrific bike for my style of riding and terrain... really nimble bike with low end and high rev power to suit situations ranging from super tight single track to wide open 60+ mph asphalt connecting trails.

My major concerns are:
    1- The faulty fuel pump issue. Is there way a way to determine if the bike has this or not prior to buying? Only reason I ask is that the dealership is 3 hours from me and not sure I feel like trekking down there to pick up the bike and then trekking back there when the fuel pump fails after just 2 hours of riding. Any advice?

2- The overheating/"boiling" fuel issue. These run hot and because of the exhaust pipe's routing, it heats up the fuel tank. I wonder if this is more of an issue for the 390 because it may spend more of it's time in the high rev range than the 450 and 570 models? Are people making more of this issue than is necessary? Seems like a heat shield and/or pipe wrap might temper the issue but not completely fix it. I'd also add a radiator fan and run Engine Ice coolant.

Other than those two major issues, riders seem to rave about the bike (even though the lack of a kick start concerns me...but surprisingly I haven't heard that this has proved to be a common problem)

Anything else I should be wary of?

FYI...the other two bikes I'm considering are:

2012 KTM 450 XC-W

2013 KTM 350 XCF-W

I can get each of those bikes considerably under retail as well, but the 'Berg is really a bargain...but maybe there's a reason no one has bought it yet...

Thanks in advance
  15. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    I have an 2011. The pump was replaced before I bought it by the dealer. I've never had an overheating problem, and I don't have the fancy tank liners or pipe wrap.

Buy it.
  16. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
  17. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    I would have the dealer pull the pump out and ensure it is the new pump.. new fuel pump has two colors.. brown and black.. old pump was all black. I would insist they actually pull the pump to check..my left over 2011 570 was "guaranteed" to have the new pump... but 20 minutes into my first ride that was proven incorrect. The dealer pulled the pumps from the other two pumps from the bikes they still had in stock as a result.

Overheating the fuel can be cured by employing one of the many options available. I simply dont think that you need to do more.. I chose the under tank heat blanket, and I have never had any boiling issues.. and I ride SLOW :D

I am surprised there are still 390's available. IMHO the only drawback to the Husaberg 70 degree bikes is the extra fuel capacity options...not an issue for a back east woods bike.
  18. rensho

rensho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The FS is 20mm shorter in travel. It has slightly stiffer springs f/r, not sure if they touched the valving.
    The front brake should clear a 21" wheel. I don't know anyone that's tried this exact combo, but my past wr250x with the 320mm oem brake setup cleared my aftermarket 21" wheels with a 320mm rotor just fine.
    The triple clamps are an adjustable 18-20mm offset. The FE has a 22. mtbjeff has one, and runs the stock triples just fine with his 21"+dirt fork setup. He mentioned you may need to run a dirt front fender just in case the tire wants to hit the SM fender.
  19. Sproat Sport

Sproat Sport Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would buy it. But do ask about the fuel pump thing first. And also ask if they have properly rinsed out the tank...as per the normal procedure. They are supposed to do that to get residual plastic molding crud out of the tank...otherwise you'll very soon get clogged fuel filters. I had to take mine back to the original dealer to have them rinse out the tank properly, etc.....under warranty, but still was a pain. Proper dealers will have that done already, so may not be an issue...but worth checking.

In short...buy it.
  20. Sproat Sport

Sproat Sport Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2011 FE390 over a year ago...and it is quite the machine. Very pleased with it and intend to keep for a while. Fit and finish are superb, and I just can't enough of the awesome motor.