Close Call

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by bodhisattva65, May 27, 2011.

1. Barman

Barman Way Offline

Oddometer:
    Basically that dealership took a poorly aimed shot at you and missed. Does that make them less liable for not actually killing you? Get some satisfaction or they'll just do it again.:deal
  2. SomethingClever

SomethingClever sick life

Oddometer:
    I'd think an entirely new bike is what they owe you at MINIMUM. Who knows what happened to your engine while the oil was draining out and white smoke was pluming from your exhaust?

Not to mention the fact that you could have easily died.

Sleep on it, decide what will make this right in your book, then contact a lawyer. Personally I'd say, "replace my bike with the exact same model and all the same mods, and we're even. Otherwise my lawyers will be in touch."
  3. bodhisattva65

bodhisattva65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes things worked out well, Im alive and the kid was fired who forgot to tighten the oil plug.

The bike is ok, like I said I instantly hit the kill switch and pulled the clutch in. Got the power off the bike and there was still oil comming out of the motor after i stopped.

The thing i always knew and was an early warning system to me you always feel it in your ass first, meaning i felt the bike start to loose traction and instantly got on the clutch.
  4. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    Looks like you are lucky to have escaped with no real damage/injuries.

Something not too different from this happened to me in 1981. Dealer mistake, and yes, it could have killed me. That was the last time anyone but me worked on my bikes. YMMV.
  5. wmax351

wmax351 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd try to get a written warranty on the engine. Shouldn't be an issue with it, but good to have some assurance.
  6. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    The fact is he didn't get killed, he wasn't disabled, he didn't even go down.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts what a wonderful christmas it would be.

Dispense with the grand standing. They don't owe him a new bike. What they do owe is between him and them. If they make him happy they have righted the wrong to the best of their ability. It's not like they can turn back time and make the mistake not happen.
  7. bodhisattva65

Oddometer:
    Put it this way they continue to make it right, and to be honest i told them not to fire the kid who made the mistake, (however they did anyhow), let it be a learning experience to the kid. the kid was sincerly sorry.

1-yes I was pissed of course i was.
    2-I saved me and the bike, with luck and experience.
    3-They continue to make it right.
    4-I could have sued them and I think they know that.
    5-So I do have some leverage.
  8. SomethingClever

SomethingClever sick life

Oddometer:
    Hey, I agree. I'm just saying that I personally would probably have demanded greater restitution from these folks. If OP has slept on the incident and feels happy about its resolution, that's great.

Hats off to OP... clearly a skilled rider and an extremely forgiving human being.
  9. bodhisattva65

Oddometer:
    Like I said LEVERAGE!

Like Don Corleone said; "One day I will come to you for a favor"
  10. bodhisattva65

Oddometer:
    Up date: So i went to dealer for the "You almost killed me discount" New Super Tenere out the door Tax,title,side cases, top case, engine guard, skid plate, 5year extended warranty, $13,100
  11. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just reading this story has scared the hell out of me... so bad that I cannot sleep and am off my feed...

To make things right, I think it will take a Super Tenere deal like yours....

Glad you survived to tell the tale.

NFE
  12. glynb

glynb Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer:
    What about the kid's boss. I thought when a job was done, then it was checked one last time by the sr. tech, especially if it's something that could cause catastrophic damage to the bike or rider if just ridden out without being checked. At the shop where I do my business the sr. tech (supposedly) double checks that the job was done properly before the bike is released back to the customer, and signs off on it.

This happened to me when I got the oil changed on my car at a local lube shop. The shop is located at the top of an incline. As I was sitting in my car, after getting the oil changed, at the stop sign waiting to enter traffic, I saw a stream of fresh oil flow out into the street from under my car. I shut it down right there, and the shop towed the car back into the bay. Apparently the oil change kid just loosely started the new filter on the threads, and left it that way.:eek1

I change my own oil on the bike, but take it to a different shop for the oil change in my car, but it could, and probably does happen every now and then at any lube shop.:deal
  13. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought you were gonna say they gave you a Super Tenere. :lol3
    That would have been sweet.
    Glad things worked out and you werent kilt.
  14. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:
    And you quoting him without editing only preserves the link.
  15. Scoobynut

Scoobynut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is an extremely good deal on that bike. I paid $13k for mine, no options + TTL, and thought it was a fair deal. The "You almost kiled me discount.' That's outstanding, well played!
  16. Pigford

Pigford British

Oddometer:
    You didn't get a good deal - they made money with a good sale off you :huh

What did they give you p/ex for the bike they nearly wrecked ?

Just love America & your eagerness to SUE everyone & everything :1drink
  17. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:

You've never dealt with a dealer, have you? A new bike. Riiiiigggghhhhht.
  18. Scoobynut

Scoobynut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming you're talking about the OP who bought the Tenere for $13.1k OTD. The Bike retails (2012 model) for $13.9 before TTL, the accessories/warranty he added retail for about $2.5 k, so about $16.5k retail with $3.4k knocked off the price -- I stick with my original statement that that is an extremely good deal. Possibly even a money loser for the dealer. Not sure what math you were looking at.