Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Montana will support uSD cards up to 64GB.
  2. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Use a card reader, it works & you don't have to have the Montana hooked via the USB. Once installed on the MicroSD reinstall in the Montana, check you map Enable/Disable for those you want visible. I do this with 32GB cards all the time.
  3. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    The write times are phenomenally faster in a uSD card reader also, as opposed to inside the Montana.
  4. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I finally (3 hours) got it loaded. I think it's on the SD card.
    It seems ok for basic routing around town.
    However, when I opened up basecamp, I received a error message regarding waypoint "recognition" I believe it said. I tried to load routes from map source into the Montana, and then open them and transfer them to basecamp.
    Only half the routes I selected were on the Montana, and so far, none are showing up in basecamp. I'll call Garmin again tomorrow.
  5. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Save each route, track, and waypoint individually, as GPX files, from MapSource to a folder on your HDD, then open BaseCamp and Import them individually.
  6. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    Will do. Thx. (HDD? Hard drive?) I'm old, not the most computer oriented guy on Adv. Don't hold it against me.
  7. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah. :)

HDD = Hard Disk Drive (See, you were right!)

Just create a folder on your computer somewhere and name it something like 'MapSource Data', and copy all your files there, then import them into BaseCamp after.

See Migrating from BaseCamp (added just for you!)
  8. gar

gar Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    1. Print and read the manual
    2. Montana Wiki Read this through like 5 times
    3. Base Camp Wiki
    4. JaVaWa Device manager download and plug your Montana in
  9. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You forgot: Read this thread through 5 times....that should only take about 6 months!:lol3

I still go back and read the Wikis every month or so and never fail to pick up something new or forgotten.:clap
  10. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's because I keep moving stuff around to keep you on your toes! :ksteve
  11. TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could not find the answer in this thread. But a chap I just bumped into here in Laos is getting that message about incorrect battery type and for the life if me I cannot remember the fix

This is on a 600 with the Lithium ion battery inside and while charging in the rugged mount it is fine but when it is charged he gets the message

Any takers, now that my bike is rooted I probably do have time to wade through 6,000 posts but the willingness is just not showing up :)
  12. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    The fix is to stuff a couple of earplugs into the battery case, under the cover.
  13. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    Everything was going well until I imported the routes into basecamp. I get a import problems box. Error.. Unknown error opening import file. I converted the files from gdb files to gpx files when I saved them on my desktop.
  14. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a good tutorial.

One question though..... If you already did the copy/paste of the "Garmin" directory (folder), then wouldn't step # 7 be redundant since all those files and folders would have already copied over when copying the "Garmin" directory?

I know when I do a full backup of my Montana all that stuff gets copied.

Jon...
  15. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that. I just saved/imported some routes from my MapSource to BaeCamp yesterday before I published that information without issue.

You may try saving as GDB and see what happens. Also, try transferring the *.GPX versions you saved to the GPX directory on your Montana and see if they are recognized properly by the GPSr, then attempt transfer from your Montana to BaseCamp.

If that all fails, you will need Garmin tech support, and about that I am really, really sorry... :huh
  16. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could be... I was assuming the user may want to add additional/different maps and/or GPX files to the GPSr Clone. I have updated the text to reflect this.

Thank You!
  17. TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahhh thanks mate. I was on the right track then, and actually told him about that and the tape around the battery base as known fixes for certain problem.

I will make sure he does both before sending him back out into the wild of Laos
  18. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    No need to thank me.

I should be thanking you for all the work that has gone into creating an excellent resource!

And of course all that contribute to this thread (you know who you are) deserve a big thank you.

:clap :clap:clap

Oh, and the edit is perfect.

Jon...
  19. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    I was able to get the routes loaded as gdb files. However, none of them see to be active.
    I tried loading them to the card, and to the internal memory. I see the routes in Route Planner, but when I click on the actual route it does not allow me to "go" the "go" button is active for earlier routes I tried to set up using the Montana, but not with the routes I loaded from mapsource.
    When I zoom in on the route, it goes blank every other push of the + button. Then reappears when I push the + button again. Then the Montana just shuts off. It acts like it's corrupted or something. I have to keep restarting it..
    Any suggestions?
  20. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely sounds like an issue with those routes. Are they all doing it, or only some of them?

Which versions of MapSource & BaseCamp are you using?

May need to send one of the offending routes to Garmin for testing.

If you want to send a few of them to MontanaGPSrWiki at gmail.com, in both GCD and GPX format (they must be inside a zipped container), I would be more than happy to see what I can determine.