DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My left knee....don't even mention it! :)

Thank you! OK...looks like I got some money to spend...still have to order chain oiler (there is one in UK proved to be best and not expensive) and those pegs. Noted :)
  2. the_sad_punk

the_sad_punk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Off to order pegs then :)

As for oiler - no no, I tested Tutori and Loobman.. and that's not what I need. I do long distance trips, 5000 + km, I find Tutoro and Loobman too bothersome. I made one oiler system myself and it works perfectly well - no electric parts, based on valve that is basically cone + heavy metal ball, when bike over 2500 rpms it starts to open up letting some oil to front sprocket...
    But I need oiler for second bike. There are UK - made oilers developed by team of bikers and engineers, cost around 60 quid off eBay.uk and has fully automated system with positive displacement pump and very little electrical draw. Beats every oiler I seen to date. I installed 2 of those on my friend's bikes and they are very happy.
  4. the_sad_punk

Oddometer:
    I agree the standard range is bad, more ideal for commuting.
    I buy a couple meters of the same di hose for a few quid and mount it up on the bars on all my bikes. When touring i get over 500 miles before having to fill the resevoir and tube again. One and half turns = one dop per minute = perfectly oiled chain. All done without carb/engine vacuum interefrence or electricial crap to fail. Simples:evil
    When the Yanks went to space how much di they spend on a zero g pen? The Rooski's used a pencil....,:rofl

[​IMG]
  5. Jakob

Jakob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    all of you have good looking bikes.. but when I go to garage to take a look at mine, it seems like one ugly bastard.. :rofl
  6. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    the_sad_punk, that makes sense, yep.

However reason I want that UK kit - it gives about 2000 km between adding oil and very precise, it is positive displacement pump (e.g. it works even pushing oil up) and it is easy to adjust (frequency of pump pushing oil portions). There is no priming, no drip of oil after, no switching on or off...kinda thing you put in and forget about. I am becoming older and lazier :lol3 I mean - for 57 quid I would buy it without hesitation.
    God forbid to spend huge money on "advanced" oilers. BTW I found one "achilles heel" of all ready-made oilers. You probably saw in this tread my post about nozzle itself?
    Here is the deal. When oil dispersed on rear sprocket it works well, but a)more chances it flying around b)when you get in some offroad it can easy get ripped off (happened to me) c)system are very good in mixing dust etc. with lube.
    So, I stole idea from one of our colleagues (Ladder106 if I remember right) :wink: about how to make double nozzle and then made some small piece, allowing for reliable and easy removable setup under front sprocket cover.
    Here is what I ended up with. I hope it can be of use for someone...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    I made an oiler for about $8.00 US. It uses a plastic Kechup bottlle, tubing, and drip irrigation valves. I put old carb jets in the line until I got the flow I wanted (somewhat weather dependent).

I'm hugely embarrassed by the way it looks (its under the side panel on the AfricaAlp) but not by the way it works. The bottle is cood for about 1500 miles. Stihl or Husky chainsaw bar oil seems to work best.

Photos if you can stand them.
  9. Megamoto

Megamoto Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer:
    You know...I think I've been here before.
    I fitted a Scottoiler to Daisy when I bought her. I got 30000 Km out of the first chain. Work for me.:D
  10. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    New gearbox going in, any hints, do's n dont's..?? down to the piston so far..!!

Attached Files:

11. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very good service from Greg the Wilbers importer in ozz, a new seal head I think it was has been replaced,
    Fellow ADV rider called Doc put a bit of footage up for me , he didn,t edit the last bit :D.
    If you watch the footage about 300m past the little bridge I hit some pot holes,I think that may have been the the starting point to the leaking .
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667965&page=5
  12. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The artist has finished her work:

Kind regards, Bambi ...very proud of her ...

Attached Files:

13. Resi

Resi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fine work, eh!

Cheers,
    LarS
  14. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bambi, Iris, I like your painting, very well done, 2 pack or powder coat :D.
  15. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today's Dakar stage, starring Robmoto!!! :clap
    Well done, although Iris and me sometimes were a bit worried about you and the Big. Must be the first time, that a platypus was on the hunt after 'roos. There have been some rather nice wheelies during the ride!
    Were had you put the camera? We're discussing helmet or shoulder ...
    Kind regards, Iris and Bambi
  17. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bambi and Iris, our biggest danger down here is roos , luckily I saw those small ones when aproching the corner and had some fun with them at least they were tiny and not 2 metre big fellas :eek1.
    This was the first day I used the motion pro camers and read up on the ozzy ADV site where some people say it is best to mount on the right hand side of the helmet so that is where I put it.
    It came with a suction mount allso but I haven,t tried it on there yet, you can see the mount on the BIG wind screen.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=751539
    and some info on here from ozz riders about video cameras,
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748837
  18. killme_quik

killme_quik the street n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone wanna sell me one? lol
  19. the_sad_punk

Oddometer:
    Well Rob, you show no fear:D I probably wouldnt cycle that opening stretch of road (first 2 mins) let alone (be able or willing to) ride it! It looks like it was crumbling and eroding in places. It kind of reminded me like this lad who also has balls like yours haha
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_ncWo_NRz0&feature=player_embedded
    Like the vid mucho and demand more.

The suspension is looking great there btw, i can see why your happy! Doing some job of letting you just get on with it.
    Btw, a humble suggestion if i may, consider flipping the bar throttle cable housing 180 degrees. I did this and the slack doesnt sit up blocking clocks or the like. It rund underneath and doesnt snag or do anything untoward and looks neater imo.
  20. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip Colum I will look into that, my mate had to compress the video thing heaps and it has lost a lot of pictue Quallity, the wibers rear shock is now back on ready for a ride this Saturday to a old town called Yeranderie I will post some pics for all the snow bound boy,s in the northern half of the world.