"The Oasis of my Soul", 9th year on the road...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BeemerChef, Nov 27, 2006.

1. DawnBreaker

DawnBreaker ride earth then mars

Oddometer:
    Ara, it was good meeting you at the camp site out side of Big Bend. When I left, I rode north to Fort Davis. I ran into some snow. It was very beautiful. I rode RT 188 north past the Davis Observatory. Hanging a left on Rt 166, I rode the west side of the mountains to Marfa and then took 67 through Fort Stockton and then on to San Angelo. I didn't arrive in San Angelo until about 2130. By then I think I had a well developed case of hyperthermia. It took me a long time to stop shivering. Hope to see you back on the road. Tell Anna and Philipe it was nice meeting them.

Wayne Reed

Attached Files:

2. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    Sorry you had all that trouble Wayne. Trips at this time of the year should not be timed... would have been good to stay as it warmed up... how about some Gerbings???... Best investment you can do...
    Lets stay in touch... be well...
    All have left... new blood is in!!!
    Ara & Spirit
  3. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ara , it was nice meeting you on River Road the other day.
    We made it to Creel but have been pretty much snowed in .
    Happy New Year to you and Spirit!:freaky
    See you on the Road.
  4. BeemerChef

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

Ara & Spirit... Thanks BigDon...
  5. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    Thanks Geode... we were all asleep by 10pm!!!...
    One more long ride with Cagiva549 and Mike... Those guys are hardcore!... but I will try to keep up...
    Be well...

Ara & Spirit
  6. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I could not help feel a bit of emptiness last night after saying my goodbyes to David and Mike!
    The campground again was empty, every one had come and gone, no one left on the hill... these pasts days were filled with engines starting, late night talks, much riding... much eating, and now again... left... just Spirit and I... back to our scheduled programming I thought!!!
    What schedule?
    The year started with a great ride yesterday... South County Road to North County Road, then north toward Alpine, east toward Terlingua Ranch, Marathon road toward 385... great weather, great company and roads... much fun as you can read about it on the Blog...
    John, Mike, Becca, Felipe, Wayne, Byron, David, Mike, Anna, Big Don and Lobby from on the road... even you, the odd Texas Pete... and I have the feeling that I am forgetting some names here... thanks for your presence and making these Holidays some memorable ones... Maybe again next year?
    You be well...
    Ara & Spirit
  7. Boojum

Boojum I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer:
    Good Morning, Ara! Hope this finds You & Spirit doing well.
    Happy New Year!!!!:clap Everyone from Chattanooga, says Howdy!!
    Keep posting us on your doings, and Stay Safe!!!!! Need Rope?:wink: :lol3

Boojum!
  8. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    Where is Chattanooga?... and who are you?...:eek1 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
    Nice to hear from you my friend!... We keep on going here...
    When are you coming West?... Many many trails here!!!...

How is the mototcycle stable???...

Stay in touch... have a great one and be well...

Ara and Spirit
  9. Desi_Kermit

Desi_Kermit Dont worry eat curry ...

Oddometer:
  10. VIVID1

VIVID1 Ducatistanna

Oddometer:
    Nice meeting you too, looks like an exciting ride :D
  11. VIVID1

VIVID1 Ducatistanna

Oddometer:
    What a great time and nice people!!!!

Happy New Year Ara & Spirit :freaky <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  12. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    Thanks Anna... Paul and Voni just stopped by to say their goodbyes...
    sweet... rig is already on the trailer... A bit of Fort Davis... Marfa...and should be in Southern California in about 2 weeks!
    Maybe we can all, and more, plan a get together for next year's Xmas, well, this year now... just a thought!
    Be well... and again Thanks for the good wishes... same here.
    Ara & Spirit
  13. VIVID1

VIVID1 Ducatistanna

Oddometer:
    I'm in for another round of Big Bend :thumb

Have a good drive to the Davis Mountains.
  14. CCRyder

CCRyder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year Ara....to you and Spirit also .
    The dry and sunny pictures you are posting from Big Bend look very good ...as we are having our usual....some nice days here and there followed by 3 days of rain !:cry :cry --I am sick of rain. Oh well, nothing I can do about it. Enjoying your posts here, will check the blog later. Take care.....Kansas City is getting closer for me/Tami !!! I'll keep you posted .
  15. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    My last sunset on the hill... an untouched photo as the camera took it!... just in case you were wondering... A waive, a smile, a going away present before our departure? You be the judge of it as I have been taking sunrise and sunset pictures throughout my stay... and none compare to this none.
    Day to pack... re-arrange things in a better fashion, which worked out much better. It is the first time since I have left, but I am sure it will not be the last time.
    Some more good byes and while trying to put some order in this minuscule camper of ours... I just thought about showing you how and where we live! It is kind of a mess... two extra books and it is overcrowded!...
    You can see it all in the Blog... tomorrow we will be in Fort Davis, exploring also Marfa and Balmorhea, Mc Donald Observatory...
    You be well...

Good Bye Big Bend... you have been kind to us...

Ara & Spirit
  16. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    We rolled in Fort Davis in the afternoon... the weather was not cooperating... very thoughtful that I packed yesterday in dry conditions... and so here we are a few miles north.
    And I was thinking that maybe I should have skipped Big Bend, leave it for last, and then again, there is no planned end to this Journey. You guessed it, I just understood what my friends, which had left days earlier, wrote... I already miss it!
    There will be other regions, comparable on many levels of its beauty and serenity, but I just realized that Big Bend had been to me like a calm Ocean with its full sun, day after day...
    I think today the weather has a lot to do also about how I feel... dark grey all day... there is excitement however in being here... It is a real little town... with many Restaurants... shops... friends to be made and awesome roads to ride... as I understand, it is going to be beautiful these coming days...
    Spirit and I took a walk... check it out in the Blog...

Be well... Ara & Spirit
  17. VIVID1

VIVID1 Ducatistanna

Oddometer:
    So much to see near Fort Davis :clap the McDonald Observatory is a must see :D

Ara, you're a Chef, help me out. I want more <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on">Texas</st1:State> pie, where can I get <st1:State w:st="on">Texas</st1:State> pie in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Chicago</st1:place></st1:City>??? I probably can’t. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I looked on-line for a recipe and can't find one. Is the pie we had a Terlinga/Big Bend special thing or is the <st1:State w:st="on">Texas</st1:State> pie an actual pie that they eat thought the state of <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Texas</st1:place></st1:State>?

<o:p></o:p>
  18. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    Just got back from the Obsevatory... nice... nice roads! Who said you could see it all here in two days!!!
    OK... try this... Texas Pie...
    Get the crust ready made... no sense waisting time on that...
    However, beat an egg white and brush the crust and pre-bake it, 350, till a light shade of brown. Cool it (about 12/15mn's)

Mix together
    3 eggs
    3/4C sugar
    1/2 teas salt
    1 Tab real Vanilla Extract
    2 Tab shredded sweet coconut (find it in the freezer section sometimes) passed through a food processor to elminate the shredded look! Not powderized however!

Mix together
    2 Cups Milk (whole)
    1 Cup Half and Half

Scald that mixture... not too hot... not too cold... you should be able to stand a drop of it on your forehand without burning you...

Very slowly mix, hand or electric on medium speed... second mixture into dry mixture...

Pour in crust and bake at 400 till Jello like shaky!... sorry... that is the only way I can explain...

Cool... Ice cream... Eat... and dream about Big Bend!!!

Let me know how it turns out...

Be well...

Ara & Spirit
  19. VIVID1

VIVID1 Ducatistanna

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that sounds easy enough, I think I’ll be able to make it. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p></PRE>
  20. BeemerChef

Oddometer:
    A Preview... You were looking for it... I found it...

:evil

[​IMG]

:poser

Ara & Spirit