KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    They are used heavily in aviation maintenance. They use them for large air, hydraulic and fuel couplings. They are a cam design, so they hold very tight, and I have never even felt then come close to losing grip or rounding corners. Do not think of these as or similar in any way to channel locks, other than range of adjustability. They came highly recommended by the engineers where I work. I bet there isn't a day that goes by that they don't use them.
  2. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    good idea, gotta look at them in shop
  3. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for that tip, I wonder who might carry them in NL as we don't have Snap On?
  4. darenb68

darenb68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a pair
  5. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Can you order from Amazon up there? They have a pretty good price on them.

Drooling over the whole Knipex catalog yesteday, I've actually always thought I should get some knipex alligator pliers, these plier wrenches weren't on my radar.
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    you talking like Amazon books?
  7. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
  8. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Man, Amazon CA has high prices! same pliers are around $50 US. Here's another place I like for tools, not sure about shipping to canada:
    http://store.harryepstein.com/c/KNIPEXPLIERS.html
    They say they ship all over the world, their price is as good as anyone's.
  9. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    I was just going to say the same thing...$122 CDN+shipping!!! :eek1

10. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    $48.49 + $10 shipping to Canada on ebay, better hurry, he only has 77 left...
  11. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Where, pray tell?
  12. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
  13. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
  14. CanadianViking

CanadianViking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    winter here so no time for riding, but its good time to wrench and farkle.

I finally got the KTM panniers, pricey but should do the job:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up will be the high fender kit, some engine crash bars and a tourtech GPS mount.
  15. Uncle Crumpet

Uncle Crumpet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I envy the neatness of your workshop!:bow
  16. 47cj2a

47cj2a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New here,

About 3 weeks ago i bought an '03 and then promptly left for china 4 days later. So i have put ~30 miles so far. Apperently these things vibrate bad but I bet its not as bad as a BSA or a XTZ 750.

This is how I bought it.
    [​IMG]

Apperently the tank is cracked but it was fixed. I would like to buy a new/used one. Do fork seals, fix a few other issues and head south this winter.
  17. darenb68

darenb68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where did you get the paniers, and why is your bike in the kitchen? Looks lovely!!!
  18. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    PMed you some contact info on a tank for sale...
  19. darenb68

darenb68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody had recent experience with ordering a hard bag setup specifically for the 640a?
    Read a few threads on other bikes and it seems a 50/50 split on great vs crap. Hardly anyone sits in the middle.
    Looking at the Tetons. Main issues that others have had is the quality of rack fitment.
    Is there another rack I should consider purchasing to go with the HT panniers?

Cheers
  20. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I run the pelican 35 l cases on my 640s for hard boxes and they work very well if you use a center stand which keeps the bike vertical.. I purchased 4 net liner bags, 2 per side when stacked, perfectly fit the interior space of the box.. I have 2 straps per side that hold the bags in place with the doors open and some drawbridge wires that keep the door just above level so you can use it for a sorting shelf....

I have the HB/Tourtech racks on one 640 and the Motosport {no longer available} racks on the other... I've made adapters so I can switch luggage between the 2 different racks... I've had the MS racks on my main bike since day one and they have taken a beating and needed to be welded a couple of times due to stress cracks.... The HB/Tourtech racks are probably the strongest option out there but there are a few things I don't like about them... The main issue is that they hang out way farther than need be, my HB racks have been cut and re welded to bring them in closer to the center of the bike.... The second issue I don't like is the little brace arm that goes up to the side panel bolt, this brace is more cosmetic and it makes a little more hassle to pull the filter cover off, I may end up sawing it off on mine... The HB/Tourtech racks also hang the load farther back than my MS racks: this is better for choppy ground riding as you have less chance to hang a calf on them but it also moves the COG back which is not that good...

You have the Happy Trails and the Sw Motech available as well but with both I have heard they have some durability issues... http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop...nture-enduro-sxc-sm-sc-sxl-07?brand=SW-Motech

If I was to buy a new set of racks from what I know and what is available, I would probably go with the HB/ Tourtech because of their all out strength ...

This thread may be helpful if you haven't seen it:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286747