Comparing the Garmin 500 to 60CSX and other models

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Han Solo, Apr 29, 2012.

1. BadDogMax

BadDogMax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been frustrated by the Mac version of Basecamp. You can make routes in Basecamp, or import from Google maps/Earth, but whether they will transfer to the 500 or not is totally random.

I agree with what the Garmin employee said, you are best off creating waypoints in Basecamp/Google and then stringing them together in the device. This would be a drag for any long trip.

If there is a way to transfer routes reliably I'd like to know! I use my iPhone with MotionX more than I do the Nuvi because it works correctly.

Once on bike, the Garmin is awesome. I like the display, the RAM mount is perfect, and you can operate it with gloves.

[​IMG]
  2. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    I was able to convert a track to a map overlay and uploaded it to my N500 by way of the map install software. It worked but too many steps. Then the map overlay's are installed in Basecamp. The procedures are in another thread. See DR Rocks postings.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782653
  3. Tudelum48

Tudelum48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own (2) 76CSX units and a Nuvi 550. I mostly use Tracks. Several of us did ride a big portion of the TETS last year and I loaded both a route and tracks to my (2) 76CSX and ran them at the same time, one with only tracks showing one with the route running. I had to use alot of waypoints to get the Routes to perform like I wanted. 2 of the guys with me had my routes running on there non track capable gps. The other 4 ran tracks only.
    I was really surprised at how well the Routes ran by using waypoints to navigate by but everytime we came to a section without a road as you will on the TAT the guys running routes took a back seat to the ones running tracks. It simply didnt work as well.
    Now 2 of the guys running tracks had never used a gps at all. The 3rd guy had used one very little. I stayed in the back to watch the show and pick up any straglers that got misplaced. The 2 guys with no to little experiance using a gps were younger mind you but after an hour or so they understood it and led most of the time. Tracks are just that easy to deal with in my experiance with them.
    I have tried using routes with my Nuvi by drawing it on mapsource and loading to the unit with little success when not using waypoints to navigate by.
    I have ridden a big portion of the TAT and just for me wouldnt want the hassle of using routes.
    Im with Jerry on the 76CSX units. With the exception of the small screen its my unit of choice.
    I am looking at the Montana though but only because it runs True Tracks.
    Listen to Countdown and you wont be in the western portion wondering which way to go.
    My 2 cents
  4. Hatley Rocket

Hatley Rocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read through this thread and I am confused with all the talk of routes, tracks and waypoints. I would like to get a gps for cannontracks, I believe his tracks are all limited to less than 500 trackpoints. I currently have a RINO 120, and if I try to put a track onto that device, i am told my RINO is limited to 250 trackpoints per saved track. From what I read, the NUVI 500 can only hold 200 trackpoints per saved track? Am I catching on? Or is it different in that the track must be converted to a route for that device? I like the 60CSX, and I think it would work for what i wanted it to do, but I can't find one for less than $550.00. Am I looking in the wrong places? I thought they were more around $200 or so. I have a KLR, and a venture, so the NUVI 500 appeals to me as it would work perfect for the venture, I would just like to be able to use tracks too for off-highway riding on the KLR. I found the NUVI 500 for about $275, is that about right? It's waterproof, needs to be hardwired(or charged), and has a nice ram mount for it. I have the RINO 120 for hiking, so I think with those, as long as can track, I wouldn't need the 60csx. The Nuvi then acts like a car gps, with autorouting and has preloaded maps? Any help is appriciated.

Tyler
  5. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    This only answers one part of your question, but some (Countdown especially) would argue that the 76CSx would be the better choice, and they can be found on sale right now for $209 at GPSCity The 76 is identical to the 60 except for the shape.
  6. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are looking to make what you have work it is easy with MapSource/BaseCamp (and others) to take the 500 point tracks and filter down to 250. Sounds like loosing 1/2 the resolution but it's not because the software does an excellent job of removing only the least significant points. The 250 point track will be 80-90% as useful as the 500 point track.

The Nuvi 500/550 does not accept tracks. In the day a nice unit and worth $275 but that's more then it's worth today. Comes with CityNavigator.

$550 is criminal for the discontinued 60! Consider the GPSMAP 76Cx from West Marine ($150-170) which is the same unit in a better package. Also consider the Montana if in the budget. All 3 will require maps to be added.

Bruce
  7. BadDogMax

Oddometer:
    That's how I'm using my NUVI 500 because it has such a nice form factor for the bike. And I'm using my iPhone with MotionX for tracks.

But truthfully, this setup requires a ton of work on the computer before each trip, can be frustrating, and I would not do it again. My advice is to get a better do-it-all GPS that imports tracks from your favorite sources directly.
  8. Hatley Rocket

Oddometer:
    So is it the Iphone with motion X that requires a ton of work on the computer, or the garmin 500? Tell me more please about the Iphone with motionX.

If it is the Nuvi 500 that requires a ton of work on computer, what is it about it that requires so much work? Doesn't it autoroute, or is it the entering of tons of waypoints/routes?

On the GPS map 76cx, I think the only thing it would be useful for is tracklogs? It has no map on it from Garmin, so software would have to be added. The price is better than others. It is the same product as the 60csx, just different case? Is the 60 discontinued? Can't you guys make it cost less? Pull some strings or something?

T
  9. BadDogMax

Oddometer:
    1. MotionX works for tracks. You need a different app, MotionX Drive, for turn-by-turn directions. Most dual-sport adventures require both. The maps require cell signal, or you must plan ahead and create your trip then pre-download the maps while you have cell data or wifi. You need a handlebar mount and power for your iPhone, and maybe a waterproof case. $$$. You need to take it out of the mount whenever you leave the bike or want to use the phone. The iPhone is very difficult to use with gloves.

2. The Nuvi 500 comes loaded with some topo maps. If you've pre-loaded your destinations, the Nuvi can navigate you there. Or, it can get you home from just about anywhere. However, the touch screen is crude when compared the iPhone, scrolling to a distant point on the map takes forever with slow redraws, and it can be difficult to see the roads in hilly areas because of the elevation lines. A better solution than routing on the front panel is to pre-load the routes or waypoints in Basecamp and then upload them to the NUVI via USB. However, Basecamp only displays topo map info when the Nuvi is plugged in via USB so you'll need it plugged in the entire time you're planning. If you're used to Google maps or Earth, it seems very crude and slow.

Another solution that's been referenced above is to create your trip in Google Maps, and then export the Google file to disk, then convert the file using GPSVis or GPSBabel into a route file (I forget the exact procedure), then import the route into Basecamp, then upload this to the NUVI. Most of the time Basecamp will upload the route to the NUVI OK, but I've had some stubborn routes that refuse to show up.

The Nuvi 500 doesn't have bluetooth, so if you have bluetooth in your helmet for turn-by-turn directions you won't hear them. MotionX Drive works great for this while listening to iPhone tunes however.

--------------

If you want to ride with reckless abandon and then need a GPS to get you home or to the nearest gas station, even without cell service, then the NUVI 500 can do the job.

However if you want to follow other's tracks, or like to plan your routes maybe with a few alternates before you leave then you'll need mucho patience and/or need another GPS.

I am not an expert in this, others may have better advice... but for me if doing it over I'd get one awesome GPS or go iPhone-only.
  10. Hatley Rocket

Oddometer:
    Your advice is VERY helpful. I am going to get motionX. There are premade track mapsthat I can download with my iphone. I do have a ram handlebar mount for it, but not a waterproof case. Powering on the bike, I will have to get something squared away there. For now, I may stick with a $0.99 app and be set. I have a telenav gps app, and your right, its downright useless with gloves on.

Still looking into the 76csx, and is there another like the nuvi 500 that is waterproof for less? Otherwise, it seems like a good all arounder, for travelling for work, car and motorcycle.

T
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    You probably don't need the "S" stick with 76Cx for price. I use one in motorhome with Roads & Rec but also have Nuvi with Cith Nav to look up gas and addresses, etc.
  12. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    i''ve been using a garmin nuvi 1490t with garmin topo maps successfully for adventure riding for a few years now, but just purchased a garmin 500 on ebay as i like the waterproof case. i've always put a clear plastic bag around it when it looks wet or dusty, which obviously makes it harder to read the screen.

just wondering if anyone has tested how waterproof it is? i assume its just meant to survive in rain and not a thorough underwater dunking in a river?

or is it a good idea to do the old plastic bag and rubberband trick if the rain gets heavy?
  13. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    IPX7= can be submerged up to 1 meter of water for 30 minutes without suffering damage. So it will be fine, especially considering your bike isn't IPX7. :lol3
  14. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Nuvi 500/550 seem quite waterproof however the mini USB power receptacle (as well as some of the power adapters) have been known to fail over time or in very wet conditions.

Good unit for moderate to to light duty use in the elements.

Bruce
  15. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    thanks for the fast replies. should be fine then, i made a small windshield to go on the husaberg and the gps and power supply sit behind that so they won't cop any rain directly while the bike is moving. bit of a bummer going from the five inch screen to four inch but it will be good to scrap the plastic bag...:D
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    have a 60csx & later bought a 500 thinking it would replace the 60.
    nope. the 60csx is perfect for DS/ADV riding and he 500 lives in he car.
  17. Ed Zachtamundo

Ed Zachtamundo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. I'm going to be headed south from Oregon to TDF here in a few weeks. I don't need to load premade tracks or for the unit to keep a record of where I've been. Mostly I would just use the GPS to navigate to a specific address within a city, or a particular lat/long point. As far as the big picture is concerned, I would be more comfortable using paper maps and just making my way south until I run out of road, but I know when I get into a big city, I will have trouble finding a particular place (hotel, bike shop, etc). I don't need any music or bluetooth functionality either, so it looks like the Nuvi might be a better option than the Zumo, especially considering the price. Can I upload international maps to the Nuvi series, and do you all think it would fit my needs?
  18. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    I had a business trip to Europe last spring. I should have planned but a few days before I left I panicked and bought he Garmin maps online for the country I visited. Really glad I did. I installed then on an external card. Get a big card at least 8GB I have a 16. Still have them if I go again but they will only work on my GPS NUVI 500. If I had had time I would have bought then on a card so I could share. It was accurate and helped navigate the traffic circles. :lol3 Oh and if your unit fails and you pay the core charge with Garmin hey will transfer the license to the replacement GPS. But you have to ask/beg. :freaky

I want a Montana some day but he NUVI 500 does the job.

In sunlight switch to night mode. Then gray roads on green show up as white on black.