Don't ride with Nate

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by CallMeBoog, Aug 12, 2013.

1. CallMeBoog

CallMeBoog hi functioning idiom

Oddometer:

I have no forks right now...and I'm actually working this week...alot. I have to be in port mouton by 7, but I have to pick the truck up in Caledonia...so I'm fixing to be in caledonia by 5:30, which means I leave home at 4:30...holy crap I gotta go to bed!

G'night!
  2. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Interesting day. First time I rode with Nate and didn't fall over.

We did find food served on square plates today though...

[​IMG]
  3. CallMeBoog

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> [​IMG]

Well today I went for a ride to do some leaf peeping. Went down through Mill Village, then up the Medway River road, on to Greenfield, then a detour through Waterloo, and finally in to Newcombville via 325, and through Bridgewater and then Home.

Got all that?

I feel I was a week late for leafing, as there’s been a lot dropped already, but at the same time, the maples aren’t really that red yet. Dunno. Had a great day and took a few pics of myself being an idiot.

I start today near Mill Village:

[​IMG]

When they put the new highway in 10 years ago, this little road became a stretch with 2 dead ends – It’s hard to get to, but the best closed course I can find!

[​IMG]

Paying Homage:

[​IMG]

Going through Mill Village, I turned on to the Medway River road.

[​IMG]

Little up close oak

[​IMG]

Pulled over here to take some pics

[​IMG]

Then I decided to get stoned and play ‘space’:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After I had come back down to earf, I decided to press on.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
  4. CallMeBoog

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> The Medway River runs parallel to this road, and flows from Kejim’kujik Lake to the atlantic ocean via Liverpool.

[​IMG]

Bangs Falls - I didn’t get to do any banging

[​IMG]

Nice place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I move through the countryside, I’m overwhelmed by the sun – feels like I haven’t seen it in days. I pulled over to take the liner out of my jacket, as it had warmed up to a balmy 15*C

[​IMG]

This is at the base of Overhill Road. The road goes over a hill. No really, it does.

[​IMG]

Not a very big hill, but whatever, we’re kind of flatlanders on this spit of land out in the ocean…

[​IMG]

So that was really it. I didn’t stop a lot today, as I was by myself and just enjoying the ride – about 4hours, 175km loop.

I’m really liking my Giant Loop Diablo tankbag – It’s the perfect tankbag for people who don’t like tankbags…it’s small, but you can put a lot of stuff in it. Also, you can use a Samsung Galaxy cellphone through the top plastic pocket with gloves on…I like that.

My walmart Camo ATV saddlebags on the tank are working out too. I have my tool roll and some rags on one side, and 2 tubes, patch kit and cable ties on the other side. I don’t notice it’s there until I go to use my highway pegs, which I don’t use that much, but even then just the tip of my knees touch the bags. Yeah, it’s kind of ghetto, but they were $15, and are waterproof.

Anyway, until next time,

[​IMG]

Nate (green eyed bastard)
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
  5. CallMeBoog

Oddometer:
    oh, and in case nobody gets the playing 'space' referrence, it's something like this:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3ITUYo7CRg0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  6. jmcg

jmcg Turpinated..

Oddometer:
    Great RR's!

:thumb

Thanks,

JM.
  7. CallMeBoog

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Don’t ride with Nate…but if you do, you’ll have an adventure.

So C-Stain, Fredgreen, Slowphil and I decided to meet up for what will probably be the last ride of the year. Didn’t take too many pics, it was cold, and I had a tire issue…I mean adventure. This is me drinking a coffee waiting for the temperature outside to get slightly above freezing:

(not impressed)
    [​IMG]

C-Stain’s bike attracts babies…because it’s so small and approachable.
    [​IMG]

On my way to the meetup, I rode through a mix of rain & snow. Not cool, but very cold. Worst of all was my hands. I have handwarmers, and barkbusters, but as my gloves got wet…my hands were frozen. I told the gang that I was going to buy some hippo hands, despite the risks of dying in a fireball, but I couldn’t find any, and had to settle for some large snowmobile gauntlet mitts. After coffee, Fred decided this wasn’t the day to ride.

The 3 of us rode to Jonny’s café and had some burgers and told some lies. Slowphil went home.

C-stain was itching to ride on a dirt surface, so we took some backroads on our way back to his house. My bike decided that wasn’t going to happen.

[​IMG]
    I guess it’s time for rim-locks – the valve stem sheared right off the tube. I think this might have happened when doing a wheelie up a loose, rocky hill, but I’m not sure. It just felt squirrely, and then I pulled over – It definitely wasn’t a slow leak!

Look how excited I am! (note one of my new mittens on the ground)
    [​IMG]

Leaned the bike over on the kickstand, stuck my helmet under the skidplate, removed the back wheel and spooned off the tire.
    [​IMG]

Rim tape was shredded too, so after one and a half rolls of electrical tape around the rim, it was time to put the spare tube on.
    [​IMG]

C-stain was kind enough to go home and bring his truck & trailer…so I’d have a workbench. Here C-Stain asks me how to please a tire… I said “you just put the pump on here…”
    [​IMG]

“then start beating it like it owes you money”
    [​IMG]

All fixed!
    [​IMG]

“I get by with a little help from my friends.”

I made it home slightly after dark. Cold, worn out, and an awesome day.
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
  8. fredgreen

fredgreen Beer drinkin Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    time for rim locks eh!

[​IMG]

half price for you, my canoodian friend!
  9. CallMeBoog

Oddometer:
    DIBS!

cool man - I've been emailing TuBliss trying to find out why they don't make a 17" system, and they are telling me that they are beta testing them right now, and plan to offer them in the spring...
  10. SFCootz

SFCootz I'm only adult shaped Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your writing style is great fun to read. I love that you have a drying rack klr. My wee is a newspaper rack. :nod
  11. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts.

Oddometer:
    Hey...this is ADVrider...where are the food pictures???:D
  12. CallMeBoog

Oddometer:

Sorry, I eat my food, not play with it.
  13. bicyclebradley

bicyclebradley V-Twin

Oddometer:
    like your style dude! thx for sharin'... :1drink
  14. Danger4u2

Danger4u2 KX500 is Danger4u2 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rim locks:
    Some will say to put the rim lock across from the valve stem to off set the weight of the valve stem.
    If you do that and you balance your wheels the weights will be next to your valve stem.
    Plus your tire, if it moves it will move by the stem.
    On dirt bikes they put them 4 spokes from the valve stems.

I have 2 sets of wheels, I didn't install rim locks on the street wheels.
    I change the brake pads to match the disc when I change wheels.

[​IMG]
  15. 8lives

8lives WTF, in Cannabis we trust.

Oddometer:
    I'm now along for the ride,hell ya my kinda thread,Whiskey in hand lets go Nate.
  16. CallMeBoog

Oddometer:
    Interesting - Thank you for the info. I've actually never installed, used or ridden a bike with rim-locks..."oh the places you'll go"...

I'll be putting these on my stock KLR rims, which are NOT drilled for the rim-locks. n00b question - how important is a front rim-lock? I don't do stoppies, (it's a KLR), but I do 90% of my braking with the front...even in dirt, sand, mud and rain...and no, I'm not insane.

Thanks for stopping by.
  17. CallMeBoog

Oddometer:
    Fuck yeah buddy, I can't wait to ride again...winter sucks. I saw a KLR out today - it was 12* celsius, and I think I saw a mile-wide grin inside the dude's full face helmet.

Bike will be going on the chopping bock in my shop soon...

stay tuned for some exciting maintenance, low dollar mods, and of course, a well oiled mechanic. :freaky
  18. Mr Dual Sport

Mr Dual Sport Is no longer on ADV

Oddometer:
    It will help if you ever get a pinch flat on the front. Keep it from slipping and shearing the valve. When I run a more street oriented tire and am running on mostly paved and gravel roads I don't run one. Easier to balance.
  19. Danger4u2

Danger4u2 KX500 is Danger4u2 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's my home made wheel balancer, Harbor Freight tire machine mounted on an Iron Man (Brand) tire machine.
    I bought the bearings from a wheel balancer company.

I installed the front rim lock, more of a "if it's good for the KX and CR 500's I have it's good for the KLR".
    I don't think I ride the KLR hard enough to ever

need a rim lock on the front. Makes me look faster and more hard core than I am.
    I did it more for the fact that, if you have to ride on a flat tire the rim lock

will help keep the tire on the rim. I've heard of hard core off road guys running 2 rim locks in case they have
    a flat during a race but I've never seen a bike with 2 locks.

It's easy to install, after removing the rubber rim strip that protects the tube from the spoke nipples,
    use a punch, just eye ball it and make your mark. Make your first hole

with a small drill bit, then go to the correct size. The rim lock goes UNDER the rubber rim strip.
    I don't know your/anyone's skill level so I made my explanation very simple.

Please don't be offended if you/anyone all ready knows how to do this.

The new tire in the pictures is a Mefo....they suck as bad as the stock KLR tires but wayyyy over priced. Don't waste your time and money, IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. 8lives

8lives WTF, in Cannabis we trust.

Oddometer:
    Is that a Mefo?Good tire looks funny parked next to that k750,I really liked my Mefo just so expensive.