Utards whos riding what

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by frog, May 22, 2008.

1. GISkev

GISkev wwfsmd?

Oddometer:

I hear the XR650R is a pretty good option... :lol3
  2. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Salt Lake City Utah (formerly Park City/Heber)
    No way... Psyched for this all, if you ask me! I love this stuff almost as much as I like riding!
  3. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    DJH does decent work but his jetting is not all that great. His needle is mediocre at best.I use an 06 450 YZ stock needle and in back to back comparisons with his needle it is not even close.Smoother running and considerably more pull than Daves needle.Besides they are only 9 bucks.
  4. dieselcruiserhead

Oddometer:
    Dave's needle is stock KTM needle, correct? Just slightly changed out?
  5. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fixt.

5,000 miles and I have replaced a battery and changed the oil.
    Oh, the stock turn signals are fragile.:wink:
  6. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    Even KLR's know that Orange is Da Bomba.......:lol3
  7. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The reason I asked why was I think you'll find once its rebuilt and not worn out and jetted right it will have plenty of power. Those motors have plenty of power stock. I'd spend the money on suspension and gas to go ride if I was you.:D
  8. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    The DJH needles I have seen have a very slight machine work on them and run like 35 bucks.I have used the YZ needle on three bikes.One stock 525,.one built 525 and one 570.Each ran noticeably better,stronger and smoother.Dave eventually refunded the moola for his needles.Dave does good work on carbs but in my opinion his needle falls short of the one I use.
  9. dieselcruiserhead

Oddometer:
    thanks Mung.. I was talking with him about it and was pretty sure he was using some stock needles now, the 5 digit OMJXX something can't remember, but I might be wrong but definitely good to know...

Frog also thanks too and good feedback. Been talking it over with some friends and I think you're completely right, so I'll definitely skip the big jug and stock will be most reliable too...

See how it comes together I suppose... :)

Suspension on this one has been gone through, feels awesome in the rear... But too soft in the front though the high speed ie whoops valving is correct. Biggest thing is I have PDS-4 in the rear, which I like but it's defintely unbalanced...
  10. GISkev

GISkev wwfsmd?

Oddometer:
    I guess this hits a little too close to home for Pluric to have snapped it up:1drink
  11. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    :D:rofl
  12. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    PDS 4 worked very well with .48 in the front for me.[275 ready to ride]
  13. dieselcruiserhead

Oddometer:
  14. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    I saw a dark 15 psgr ford van near bountiful with an adv sticker and a plate that said dontobox or something like that. A fellow utard?
  15. 2wheeladv

2wheeladv Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer:
    February 1st-4th a few of us are taking our 800 GS' to Death Valley. Does anyone have 3-4 trail recommends? :ear

We are using Vegas as our base camp :freaky

The damn inversion is really getting on my nerves...:kboom
  16. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    Used the same springs on 04 525 exc and 05 525 sx. Klim stuff is even cheaper at Atomic Moto. Got some gear from them last week and each piece is about ten bucks cheaper.Bought hot weather gear when it is 25 below-thats thinking!
  17. dieselcruiserhead

Oddometer:
    Killer... I have a set of older baja pants that I was thinking of replacing, along those lines!

I ran the PDS-4 on the '02 which is the same as all of the RFS bikes. In '08 they went to a new leverage ratio so the springs react differently, which is why I ask.
    This is why the stock bikes come with lighter springs '08 and later. So the PDS-4 feels great on the '10, but it's definetly stiffer than when it was on the '02. But because it's progressive its soft up top, basically it just takes a little more to get it to setting in deep, still nice and tall at the top. I actually like the feeling, but like I said its a little mushy in the front... (waiting for the Kev quote again.. :D). So I want to stiffen it up a little, maybe '48s are probably a call along with a revalve maybe. Right now its revalved with the stock springs (I believe, PO stuff) and it mostly just feels OK. It's valved very stiffly on the high speed compression ie taking hits etc, which feels good. Never bottoms. But it's also a little too stiff on the compression on rocks and things like that. I have some more adjustments I was planning to make before I send them off, but I might just send them off regardless.. The forks definitely aren't performing like other bikes with work into the suspension, in my opinion, but are close... The shock is also revalved and has a nitrogen bladder in it and overall I'm pretty happy with it/no real complaints.
  18. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm on a Caribbean Cruise. I'm paying 75 cents a minute for this kind of abuse???

80 plus degrees, jet skied in the ocean today, ahhhhhhhh.:D
  19. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before you spend on a revalve I would try stiffer springs and lighter oil[2.5 wt. at 130 mm from top]. Also ,I do not know if your year of fork has a third[middle] bushing but if it does than take it out and it will work smoother in the choppy stuff.Also if you need to rebuild or reseal your forks consider putting in KTMs hard parts seal and bushing kit which has slippery seals,wipers and bushings.The whole kit is 90 bucks.It is what is stock on 13 models.
  20. GISkev

GISkev wwfsmd?

Oddometer:
    So it's a new day and age for navigation tools... I'll eventually move to a small tablet (8"?) or something, but for now I have ruggedized Samsung Rugby Pro, which is military spec waterproof/shock/temp/dust/etc proof, but I'm sure it'd not like being Fano's unbreakable mirrors. Big (compared to gps) screen, hard wired in, and maps on the 32 GB sd card. I hope i like, but the G Rino will be along anyway.

RAM mount doesn't make a mount for this, so i busted out the quick steel and formed one that doesn't squish all the sensitive buttons...

[​IMG]