2012 BMW G650GS Sertao Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Psychout, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Psychout

Psychout n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I thought I would start a thread to let all the up and coming 2012 BMW G650GS Sertao owners discuss details of their purchase, pictures, etc over the next few months (until these finally arrive at dealers).

Yep I already know that this is basically a Dakar model re-badged but it's still a great bike for an entry level adventure rider such as myself and the price is right too.

Anyways, post your thoughts, pictures, experiences with dealers on this bike etc so all others on this forum can hear all about it.

Cheers :freaky
    Steven Michael likes this.
  2. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. PullingG's

PullingG's What?

Oddometer:
    I am not a beginning rider but do prefer lighter bike in the dirt. Find the +1000 cc Adv Tourers too unwieldy in many off-road circumstances. The 800 cc range bikes are more manageable (and practical if you can only have one bike) but I am interested to see what peoples' thoughts are on the Sertao as they come out. Could be a nice platform for a little dirt play and the occasional roadtrip.
  4. Barman

Barman Way Offline

Oddometer:
    430 pounds!
    It's a rebadged KLR. :dunno

:hide
  5. PullingG's

PullingG's What?

Oddometer:
    Agreed..would have hoped for more weight savings vs. F800 GS. That being said...still and much lighter and the big Adv beasts in the 1000 cc and up categories
  6. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. africa twin

africa twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering how long it will be before a larger fuel tank becomes available. Apparently the Dakar one won't fit.
  8. Flyred

Flyred When you come to a fork in the road take it

Oddometer:
    I've ridden a KLR up the Dalton Hwy while my buddy rode the f650gs. We were both throttles pinned the whole ride and wishing for more. Is the Sertao anything to get excited about?
    Not a troll, just asking.:ear
  9. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    The 650 DP class are great solo tourers/offroad explorers for sure. Unless you want a new bike you might be better off to buy a used Dakar and spend the savings on mods such as USD forks. It's a real shame BMW didn't include them on the Sertao, couldn't have cost that much more to slap on a set from the G650X Country or 800GS.
  10. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    Fantastic bike... I loved my 2001 Dakar... I have the F800gs now... but if money was an tight this is still a perfect bike... cant wait for the reviews to roll in!!

[​IMG]
  11. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Same bike as the Dakar, plus new bodywork, a smaller fuel tank and a couple less horsepower. There ya go... :D
  12. Barman

Barman Way Offline

Oddometer:
    And is it just me or are those fork legs just scrawny? :dunno
  13. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Like it had polio as a child. :lol3
  14. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    Whats the general thoughts around this G650GS Sertao vs. F800GS

I'm torn because I like the reliability aspect of this proven setup (and cost), but I also love the power, weight and setup of the F8 - very torn.
  15. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I'd say that you should move past the brand and also investigate bikes from other manufacturers.

DL650
    Versys
    Tiger 800
  16. Desertbilly

Desertbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen anyone claim it's a major innovation in any way -- just an update of the reasonably popular Dakar. Sure, everyone would love if they'd shaved 30 - 50 pounds off of it, but that's clearly not going to happen.

I sold a 1200 Adv a few years ago as just way too heavy (for me, at least) to do anything very technical on, and moved to an RT as a vastly better tourer, again for me. Now I'm thinking I need a new lightweight adventure tourer in my stable, for dirt and gravel around the AZ and the other four corner states. I'll consider a Sertao in the next year, as well as a 690 Enduro (or 690 Adventure, if it materializes).

The Enduro has an 80-90 lb weight advantage, more power and more suspension, but the Sertao has (or will have) more comfort, more aftermarket everything, easier maintenance and more reliability. So I don't know which way I'm going to go, but I'm glad to have the choice.
  17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    You make a good point, a 650 gs would compliment your RT nicely.
  18. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    I've actually owned a number of XLs (100,150,250,650), a KLR 650, KLX 250s, and Yamahas over the past number of years and have taken many long distance trips with these Japanese bikes (including Canada to Mexico on the KLR). I have enjoyed all those, but they just seem very basic (they work fine, but I have never 'loved' them).

I'm now looking for something a bit more technically advanced (ie. fuel injection) and have test rode a few BMWs and fell in love. I may be in the honey moon phase of BMW enduros, but I can always trade up again in a few years. The 1200 was amazing, but WAY too much bike for exploring the back country, the old 650s are nice, but heavy and a bit small for eating up miles. I was leaning to the F8, but have concerns around reliability.

I'm sold on the BMW for my next ride, just need to determine if the F8 is worth the extra $$, of if something like a new Sertao or used 2008 Dakar would suffice.
  19. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    +1

But if he wants offroad, the Tiger 800XC is his only choice of the three, and
    that'll cost as much as a 800GS which is universally praised more @ offroad
    conditions.

For road riding, both the Kwak and DL650 would be better IMHO, cheaper
    and more reliable they most bikes on the planet ATM.
  20. trainman

trainman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've always wanted a BMW 650 GS, but for one reason or another never bought one. I've had KLR's, 650 V-Strom's, DRZ 400S's. and a 1200GSA in the last 4-5 years, but at age 66 and not riding as much as I use to, I'm wanting to settle down to just one bike. This not because I can't ride, it's because I just don't care to ride that much anymore. A bike that I can do 200 mile days with some light offroad is what I will always stay with, that is a duel sport bike. I've been looking for a used Dakar, but just can't find a super nice one at this time and I'm a picky buyer, pretty much the bike has to be factory stock, or with very few addons. I think the Sertao will be my next bike if I don't find a super nice Dakar before them.

John