Highland Motors

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by 805gregg, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Keithy

Keithy Chaotically Keith

Oddometer:
    The inlet manifold is still on the cards.....inbetween other projects as it's tied into my venture into investment casting.
  2. nice1trev

nice1trev Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all,
    i need some parts for my highland , can we still get these from highland in sweeden ??
  3. Lorretto

Lorretto City Dweller Crushperado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Grant's Bike with custon fairing

Very nice :clap

[​IMG]
  4. Lorretto

Oddometer:
    Take a look at Grant's Rally Setup - very clean beautiful work

[​IMG]
  5. Evil Invader

Evil Invader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Niice! :tb :clap
  6. Oldobi

Oldobi Olli

Oddometer:
    Very nice. Well done Grant. On this way I would like to thank you again. Grant with your
    Information about the tecnical details, I could built up my Highland again.
    Thank you.

Olli
  7. nice1trev

nice1trev Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Olli
    It looks like we can still get parts from Sweden , just waiting to hear back from them.
  8. 950v2

950v2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Citizen of Stockholm. Earlier Boden, Sweden
    Yes. Contact the company Rollox. It is the same guys that worked at Highland Sweden.
    http://www.rolloxab.se/
    Good service as usual.
  9. Thumber

Thumber Sweden

Oddometer:
    Hi

Just experienced a sad thing. Starter wont run. Turns out to be an uncharged battery. This is due to a broken regulator (The aluminium thingie next to the horn) Replaced it and all was fine until today. The battery is not charged enough to turn the starter but fuelpump and all other gadgets work just fine. My conclusion is: Alternator broke down again.. :-( . I will replace it but it is likely to break down again if i can not find the source of my trouble. What say you? Battery?, Stator?....

/TF
  10. Oldobi

Oldobi Olli

Oddometer:
    Hello

I think the batery. Try with a car batery.

Olli:1drink
  11. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    What year model,and fork type ,diameter ,oh and offset is this? I have some sets .
    Regards,Ed
  12. Lorretto

Oddometer:
    Thumber:

I've been chasing some of the same issue with the electrics. i keep throwing parts at the bike with fleeting joy. I just ordered one of the sealed led voltage indicators from an inmate on vendors and will mount it on the bike to try and catch what is going on with the electrics before I toast another battery.

Pennswooded

NSX found a KTM triple don't know if it worked out for him or not.
  13. nsx

nsx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, the KTM triple works. A KTM expert looked at the Highland and said the forks are identical to what KTM uses.

I really want to find a dual inlet system like John in Leeds uses and was developing, but it seems unlikely now. John hasn't posted anything in over a year. In one of his last posts he said:

"With regard to the 'twinlet' system, Keithy has started machining the throttle bodies this week and is likely to be casting the manifold shortly. He is fully set up for a prototype and small production run so as soon as we have tested it we'll let you and the other members of the Highland brotherhood know.

Rest assured we expect a simple to fit sytem that even I could do. However, unless you have access to the ecu mapping equipment where I could send you an appropriate map then we'll have to arrange some sort of system where the ecu will be sent off for mapping and then returned. Lots of details to sort out including price because obviously Keith will have to be paid for his expertise and efforts."

Late last year Keithy posted pictures of the manifolds and said "I'll possibly have it cast and machined for spring....then find a victim to test it as John's engine let go"

Then nothing. As I said, it doesn't look good.
  14. 950v2

950v2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also have charging problems. It suddenly stopped charging when driving in rain (noticed that the rev counter stopped working since it uses the pulses from the alternator) and i found a melted connector to the regulator/rectifier under the tank.
    I fixed that and the rev counter works again but it does not charge the battery.
    How did you find out that your regulator was broken?
    What did you pay for a new one?
    Does anyone have the values to measure the alternator wireings to find out where my problem is?
  15. 950v2

950v2 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I solved my charging problems.
    One of the windings in the stator were loose.
  16. Lorretto

Oddometer:
    950 - Glad you solved the charging issue.

With any luck I will be right behind you with a success story. What kind of out put did you get on the failed vs corrected stator?
  17. klausmikey

klausmikey Adventurer

Oddometer:

Do they sell manuals too?
  18. 950v2

950v2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No. But if you ask nicely you might get a copy of the assembly instructions.
  19. 950v2

950v2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Broken stator windings/loose connectors:
    Infinite ohm through the stator.
    Connected a separate rectifier (cheap bridge with 4 diodes and 100V/25A specs) and no regulator.
    8V at 3000 rpm and 12V at 7000rpm without any load means no charging capacity. Just the voltage that could "jump over" via the broken windings.
    If measured with the battery and regulator/rectifier you will just get the battery voltage which was decreasing when riding around.

Fixed stator:
    Almost short circuit (approx 0,3 ohm) through the stator.
    When connected to the battery and regulator/rectifier the voltage is up to around 13,5-14V (about +1-1,5V more than the battery itself.

The hard part was to get the hard "glue" away from the connection points. I used a soldering iron to loosen it up and were very cautious not to damage the wiring isolation. I used PL400 to fasten everything again after clamping and soldering the loose ends.
  20. Lorretto

Oddometer:
    Thanks 950

I got a new to me garage that is getting sorted out and will give the multi meter a go at the Highland. All I need now is multi-meter for dummies book.