New France New Scotland

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by yellowknife, Sep 21, 2010.

1. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Soon my minions. Soon. Plus - if you two keep ordering vinyl decals, I'm going to be working in the shop till the next coming getting your orders ready! I'm also surprised the Phil didn't explode into a ball of hellfire and brimstone riding that big Valk with a CAR TIRE on the back end... :eek1 Brave man. Brave man.
  2. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Caught Yellowknife at the local Motorcycle Swap Meet. Just goes to prove there's a little "Pirate" in all of us...

[​IMG]

Is that a H.O.G. Bag you're holding there YK? New doorag or assless chaps?
  3. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    Darn - I have been caught going to the Dark Side.

:lol3
  4. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    The plan today was to meet Slowphil and Antennas at the Gran Pre Just Us Coffee Shop before heading through the Rawdon Hills towards Masstown.
    My main reason for choosing Masstown was to sample in their words the Worlds Best Seafood Pie. First things first - drink some coffee to warm the bones at the RV point.

[​IMG]

After a short break we hit the road with myself leading. Not really a good choice to lead since I had no map and vaguely knew the direction we should head. Works for me I guess!
    (I learned all my leadership skills in the Airforce):lol3
    After a few stops to figure out the route we arrived in Masstown - located on exit 12 off of the 104. To get to the restaurant head to the market, not the lighthouse.
    The lighthouse sells fresh seafood, but the restaurant is the long building.

[​IMG]

This is the dish Slowphil had, meatpie, greek salad and a coffee.

[​IMG]
  5. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    Here are some pictures of the seafood pie. This may be the worlds best and I would highly recommend it. Fresh scallops, shrimp, home made crust etc etc.
    Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

[​IMG]

My meal was safe from Slowphil as he doesn't like seafood that much hence the meat pie.

[​IMG]

See that large white object - fresh local scallops etc, with the pie served in seafood chowder and fresh roll, plus a greek side salad.
  6. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    I should mention that Antennas had a pizza - kind of a safe bet on the road. Too boring for me. He mentioned a few things about his preferences like he doesn't drink coffee, yet swore he served in the army at some time. I don't know about that! Any army member I have met lived on Coffee. :D

[​IMG]

we hit the road taking hwy 236 towards a former World War 2 British Commonwealth Air Training Program Base (BCATP). As usual the wind sock was straight out and perpendicular to the grass runway.

[​IMG]

Big Blue skies - imagine what this place looked like over 60 years ago.

[​IMG]

I had the Big Grey Pig pointed into wind and contemplated a few high speed runs on the field and
    I would have except the grounds keeper was watching us too closely. After the airbase we rode back
    to the coffee shop in Gran Pre. Plenty of hours on the road and a great time was had by all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. fredgreen

fredgreen Beer drinkin Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed it, gotta work sometimes though.
  8. CallMeBoog

CallMeBoog hi functioning idiom

Oddometer:
    You big bikes think you're sooo great with your long distance fuel carrying capabilities, and achievable highway speeds, and comfortable seats.... :rofl

looks like it was fun!

I'm getting a bigger bike next year, enough with this already
  9. fredgreen

fredgreen Beer drinkin Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    You can get a bigger bike, will your ball and chain let you play with it though?:lol3
  10. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    I just thought I would throw in a few pictures of the ride.

[​IMG]

I would like to point out that at well past the appointed meeting hour you only see one motorcycle and a one lonely cup of coffee in this picture, Strange who could be missing?

[​IMG]

Well here they are and the two intrepid navigators seem to have a firm grasp of where they are in the universe!

[​IMG]

A man with that faraway travelling look in his eyes or is it the sun reflecting off the top of my head that is blinding him?

Anyway it was a good ride
  11. Antennas

Antennas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy Crap Phil....you couldn't have taken a worse picture!! Wait maybe it's the subject..oh well. I always thought I looked rather dashing...hmmmm so much for that theory!! HA ha ha...

It was a good ride and I covered almost 600Km all told back to Digby.

Let's do it again one day.
  12. CallMeBoog

CallMeBoog hi functioning idiom

Oddometer:

The Warden has recognized my exemplary behaviour this past term, and has loosened the leash a little. That being said, we are still renovating, so there are always weekend projects...that for some reason seem to line up exactly with when you guys go out and have the greatest most funninest rides evar!!!1!!

But she supports me getting me a bigger bike. She hates my bike...I'm not even sure she likes me. :1drink
  13. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    I finally found a few hours to ride today after too many days of work, so the BGP was fueled up and off we went. After a quick coffee we hit the slab for Halifax to purchase a new camera lens, and breakfast. Then it was off to Peggy's Cove where I had a chance to see the place without fog.

[​IMG]

After PC it was direct Mahone Bay for lunch at Mateus Bistro for some Seafood Chowder. This is turning into a habit for me when I am anywhere near Mahone Bay. Of course it was excellent again...

[​IMG]

Enroute to home base I pulled into Lunenburg County Winery to see the place. The owners two black labs came running and barking as I wound my way up the driveway, but resisted biting me or my bike. The funny thing is that I totally expected to see dogs when I pulled into the winery so they didn't catch me off guard. I would own dogs if I had a winery to protect my business.

[​IMG]

The owners were working away on painting and cleaning up getting ready for the touristy season. I asked about the place and the owners said they have 100 acres, 6 for grapes, 28 for blueberries, and they produce around 60k bottles a year, sold mostly through the Government Liquor Commission. Many of the wines are fruit based from other than grapes. They use blueberries, pears, and even kiwi fruit from NS. All wine is $13 taxes in.

[​IMG]

Heather is one of the owners and the business has been going and growing for over 30 years. Nice place, nice people. :D

Thats it for a while as I enter the busy period for business. I hope to be back on the bike for a short trip July 2nd. Here is hoping...
  14. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    Hey, on our next ride lets go to that winery, I wouldn't mind picking up some blueberry wine(medicinal purposes only). The one bad thing about that trip I presume I'd have to watch you scarfing down more of that seafood chowder wouldn't I?:lol3
  15. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    Plan on a ride on the week of July 2 onwards - i see a little light in the schedule.

mmmmm.... Seafood chowder - do I live in the right province or what :lol3
  16. Fredericton

Fredericton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can you tell me the name of this place? Looks great. I am going there next week.

Thanks,

George
  17. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    Hi George

not sure - i looked at the picture but the res is low so i could not tell.
    have a great trip.

YK
  18. NSrider

NSrider Newfie

Oddometer:
  19. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer: