The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    I've been looking for the Anakee wilds and have not found a store that has them. I was told the Karoo 3 are a short-lived tire. Sticky, but short-lived. And they aren't cheap. I don't mind paying $200+ for the rear, but I want it to last more than a few weeks of riding.

I know people that run an Anakee 2 on the rear and a TKC80 on the front of their '07 R1200GSA. They like it and they're hard on tires.
  2. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet.

Here's one for the collective.

I've ridden the GS - i'm interested in either the GSA or RT (LC) - but i'm not really all that fussed about all the bells and whistles gizmos (heated grips and a race can and i'm sorted).

Now 2 dealers i've spoken to go into tooth sucking mode when i say the above - "Oooh Sir - but all our patron's want the fitted Jacuzzi and fondue machine.."
    ..and then start going on about rider demographics and potential resale value.

Is it really that big a deal having all the bolt ons?
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I've got a friend who didn't like the previous ESA and preferred to install Ohlins instead. But it came bundled on his GSW and he rates it really highly. The LED headlight is also worth splashing out for imo, far better than the halogen.
  4. emack

emack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I assume you're getting it from Lititz? That's where I test rode one a couple months back (they were really nice), but they didn't have any bikes coming in for some time so I had to end up going to Hermy's for mine. Long ride for me (almost twice as long as it takes me to get up to Lititz), but they've been good so far.
  5. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    Performance Cycle in Denver is a pretty good source for dual sport tires- You will have to remove the wheels yourself- but their prices are great and they usually maintain a good stock.

6. steelerider

steelerider Southafricanamerican

Oddometer:
    Trans-am Cycle is about 3 miles from my house, but they didn't have any bike in stock. I've had my RT serviced there a few times, they do a good job.
    Had to make the ride up to Hermy's. They are one of the best BMW shops around. Bought many bikes from them before.
  7. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hermy's rocks...I'm probably 8 miles from Trans-am. Never liked them in there...the one sales guy (who isn't there anymore) was really nice but the owner/manager dude was always grouchy and a bit rude...never felt like giving him a check for 20 grand. Hermy's is the complete opposite...plus they have gear and plenty of other rider's that like to stop by. Always a bit nice when you can shoot the breeze fellow riders on similar bikes.
  8. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the US the LED option only comes with the "premium plus" trim level. If you pick and choose your options you have to order the Dynamic package to get the LEDs... That's ASC, Riding modes, ESA, computer pro, and GPS prep.
  9. Centurion210

Centurion210 Pilot in command

Oddometer:
    That all changed with the 2014 model year; apparently, as of next month, you can order each option individually. This, according to the BMW Motorrad news release regarding the 2014 R1200GS...
  10. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    Thank DOG- what happens if you delete all the add-on electrocrapola and just get a "motorcycle"?
  11. Centurion210

Centurion210 Pilot in command

Oddometer:
    Good question. They must have an army of lawyers preventing them from doing just that because even the basic package gets the Rain and Road riding modes as well as ABS and ASC... I think the electronics are here to stay, for better or for worse...
  12. RuckedUp

RuckedUp Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Took the bike up to the Arctic circle after the 600 mile service. So far so good! My one complaint well I have a few but the major one is the shifting. I thought my Harley clunked into gear but the BMW is giving it a run for shit shifting 1-2-3rd gears make my hairs stand up when I shift.

Starting to piss me off a bit when I think BMW I think smooth as silk not panhead slop!
  13. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Apparently some owners have found the clutch master cylinder to be overfilled and reducing the amount of fluid smooths out the shifting. No idea if that will work for you, just passing on a possibility...
  14. RuckedUp

RuckedUp Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ill take a look at that
  15. sbrownn

sbrownn SlowMo

Oddometer:
    I have found the my bike can shift poorly or great depending on my technique. The fact that it can shift great at one time and poorly the next makes me realize it is not the bike but my technique. I'm not saying the same for you; perhaps you got a poor shifting bike. Just don't generalize about either BMW or them all because my bike shifts great when done properly.

What is properly? Here is my best guess at proper technique for the LC. First, make sure to pre-load the shift actuator, then, lightly pull back the shift lever until the clutch just disengages. Here is the important part. When the transmission shifts up to the next gear, feather the clutch back in instead of just releasing it; match the ground speed and engine speed. If this is the technique you are already using then perhaps you just got a lemon. When shifted like this my bike is smooth as whipped cream. Shift it any other way and it can clunk just like a Harley.
  16. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Lol, the lengths some BMW owners will go to justify their bike's "character." Fwiw, my Harley doesn't clunk, or need a "proper technique" to shift smoothly. :rofl
  17. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    The LC I rode shifted like a Ducati. Snick snick. And yeah, my 07 GS Adv and my HD are both "agricultural", comparatively.
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    You still hanging out on BMW threads acting like you are superior?:norton

Jim :brow
  19. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Nah, I don't want to tread on your turf. :D

Just putting the Kool-Aid slurper perspective in perspective. As a BMW owner myself, I'm sometimes amazed at the lengths my fellow brethren will go to avoid acknowledging that their bikes may have flaws. :eek1 :lol3
  20. VolInGA

VolInGA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really not going to any great length there. Preloading the shifter has been commonly recognized as a "proper" technique for shifting for decades. Every bike I've ever owned shifted much smoother when shifted using this technique. Search forums for just about any bike brand and you will probably find a "clunky shifting" thread with the same response, preload the shifter. Perhaps you have just never been enlightened and what may seem smooth to you on your Harley, may seem like a clunky box of rocks to someone else. Lol, the lengths some Harley owners will go to......