The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    :clap Whew...cant have the BMW brigade popping the champagne corks just yet.
  2. Bryn

Bryn Leicester England

Oddometer:
    Think that sort of thing will always happen.... brand loyalty to the GS is very ingrained in some....I've had at least 9 GS's... first ride on a Super Ten yesterday... and I may have just been converted :raabia
  3. ironbutt

ironbutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wait, did he have **time** to have his S10 serviced on that ride?! :rofl

I finally get time away from work to pick up mine Thursday. This has been the month of my life - prime riding season and can't get away to find time to even ride it. Just sitting there in the crate for 4 weeks - what a sad bike.
  4. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, then we might be gaining a powerful ally! Aren't you supposed to start your post with "Mr. Anderson?" I only ask that you don't change the matrix in my part of the world....or maybe replace just a few of these down town streets into something more twisty with hills :lol3

Nice avatar!
  5. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody else's bike have trouble getting motivated in cooler weather? It was 54F this morning and the poor thing acted like it didn't want to start. Turned over fine, but didn't want to fire. I finally gave up and held the throttle wfo while it was cranking and it fired up, but I don't think I should have had to do that.
  6. dave6

dave6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine starts fine in 36 F temps so far.
  7. Bryn

Bryn Leicester England

Oddometer:
    Mr.Anderson, I'll leave you as you are... for now :ricky

Only wish I could animate my Avatar

[​IMG]:evil
  8. Stromdog

Stromdog Howl at the Moon

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure whether this would help, but it's worth a try. Change the CO settings to 7 on each cylinder.. This will richen up the idle. Might help for cold starting.
  9. Thagua

Thagua Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer:
    Hi Stromdog ... I recently changed my exhaust for a non cat one and had to change the CO settings from 0 to 5 ... didn't want to go further up although the bike still needs more fuel on low revs but will swallow gasoline like a 'tank at war' when revving more than 4k. Do you have experience on the CO settings and how do you measure when it is correct?
    Cheers,
    Roberto
  10. japako

japako Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much mpg did you lose? I just added +3 to mine and have not rode it yet.
    Thanks
  11. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was thinking about doing the air screw and changing the CO setting, but I wanted to wait until I picked up a carb sync tool. Gotta get on that . . .
  12. Stromdog

Oddometer:
    Roberto, the best thing to do is follow these two links. This is a forum dedicated exclusively to the Super Tenere. Many US, Canadian, European, Aussie and other serious riders contribute here. It's a great site.

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1973.0

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1974.0

The first link details how to adjust the air screws and do a throttle body balance and the second explains how to adjust the CO settings. Several riders have reported big improvements to the idle and off idle performance of their bikes after doing these adjustments. I don't know whether or not these adjustments will improve the cold starting of your bike, but they very well might!
  13. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    It fired right up this morning. Same temps as yesterday. Maybe it was just having a bad day :lol3

Anyway . . . I just placed my order for a Harmonizer carb sync tool so I'll get to the air screw and CO settings when it gets here.
  14. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    Fun here too today...I washed the bike Sunday and haven't ridden it since...no start for 10 minutes, just almost caught and wouldn't fire, whole garage smelled like fuel a'course...but after some perseverence, it finally did.

I know it was related to the wash on Sunday...I could smell the water burning off...I don't know what I did, but I'll be sure to run it next time after I clean it...I wash my commuter rarely, time to give that up.
  15. Stromdog

Oddometer:
    Could have been a gremlin. :D I've had them fool with my stuff every now and then.

That Harmonizer is a nice tool. I've got a TwinMax, which works pretty well, but a Harmonizer is going to end up in my tool box before too long.
  16. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've always made it a habit to start 'em up right after I wash them.
  17. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My habit is to spray WD40 on the engine, contacts, hoses, cables, gages etc. after every wash. Wipe off the excess WD40 with an old t-shirt (your engine will shine like it did on the showroom) and then start the bike to burn off the excess WD40 you could not get to.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  18. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Very similar here..
    1/ I wash the bike first (includes scrub the seat panels)
    2/ then start up and run to full operating temp while I blow the bike down completely with compressed air.
    3/ Do the full WD40 routine as outlined below, once the bike has cooled..

3a/ While WD'ing it I always inspect for loose fasteners/spokes etc
    3b/ Everyr second or 3rd wash I will remove all panels and lift the tank to thoroughly clean hidden details.

4/ Plexus (polish) the paintwork.
    5/ Wipe the discs with petrol soaked rag to remove WD40
    6/ ride it and get it dirty again.

Greg.
  19. A-Wind

A-Wind Andreas RD07a

Oddometer:
  20. terryth

terryth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, who has the time for this? My street bikes are lucky to get washed twice a year, the dirt bikes more so, depending upon how much mud I ride through. :eek1