honda 919

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by speedisgood, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    It's also a 900 with the fuel consumption of a 600, which is great.
  2. arshishb

arshishb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May be. My 06 GSXR 1000 which made a LOT more power than the 919 would net 42-43 mpg consistently on the same boring commute, regardless of temperature. Of course that bike was magical in every sense & it was very aerodynamic so its not a fair comparison. Goes to show that just because a liter sized engine is mildly tuned as is the case with the 919; it will not be more efficient than an engine with a higher state of tune.
  3. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    I irony of this engine is that it never saw it's potential on the 900RR being carbed and had such a long stroke for a race replica.

They had to re-tune it, add FI and change the gearing, intake and exhaust etc...to really make it shine.

My 900RR got 35-40mpg and fell flat on it's face at 5K thanks to the EPA

919 gets 45-50mpg and is a far more enjoyable powerplant. I just wish 6th gear was taller/
  4. arshishb

Oddometer:
    I am very very glad they didn't use that crap O2 sensor & power valve gimmicks. A simple engine, with fueling & exhaust; done.
  5. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Not many bikes out there like it either. I rode a Ninja 1K and said "No thank you" 919 is a rare type of motorcycle if you ask me.
  6. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Long timer

Oddometer:

No argument here.........

It is the BEST "if you could only own one bike" bike IMO.
  7. Super Sneaky Steve

Super Sneaky Steve B@nned Club :D

Oddometer:
    What didn't you like about the N1K? I've got a 919 now and was considering the big ninja as more of a sport touring bike.
  8. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    I don't know for me and my commute 40miles of which 30 is freeway it does pretty good.
    I like the bike up to about 75mph. With the Honda fly screen and a K&N replica super bike bar. It's just about right.
  9. kingrex

kingrex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine gave me his 02 919 last summer. He is in the military and transferring overseas and couldn't take it with him, besides, it was in such a state of dis-repair it wasn't worth trying to fix (to him). It had sat outside unattended for approx. 3 years about 3 short blocks from the beautiful gulf of mexico and all it's salty glory. Frankly, it looked like it had been brought up from the titanic. I had know idea if the thing would even run again. Luckily the motor turned over with a fresh battery and after putting 36 psi of air in each tire you could actually push the bike to the trailer. I had to try and bring this bike back to life. The tank had to be thoroughly cleaned and the fuel pump replaced. Fuel injectors were taken off and sent out for cleaning or replacing if necessary. Brake pads, lines, and fluids replaced fore and aft. Radiator flushed, new thermostat, hoses and clamps. New spark plugs. New x-ring chain. Obviously new synthetic oil and filter for good measure. New tires. Plenty of TLC and time. It was worth the effort. This is one fine running bike. It has a narrow rev range where there is minor vibration through the bars. I wear some pretty nice gloves so most of that is eliminated. The seat is a little wooden but not bad enough to be replaced. A new corbin would look a little odd on this ol' girl. She does have some cosmetic issues. A couple of minor dents in the tank. Some minor rust remains in some nooks and crannys that I haven't been able to eliminate. Park this baby in the shade and that flat black bike looks pretty darn good. She has turned in to a very capable bike which I trust to take me out and bring me home. I'm glad I decided to save her from the dumpster.
  10. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    That wasn't luck, it's a Honda :1drink You got any pictures of that thing? Before than after?

I didn't like the Ninja because it felt like I was kneeling on the seat, you feel like your's totally on top of it. It's exactly what it's supposed to be, a comfortable literbike. That could very well appeal to many riders but not those that truly love the 919. It's harder to ride, buzzier, runs 5500K at 75mph, the flywheel is superlight and makes shifting a pain the ass. It's a great bike but I jumped back on my 919 and realized it's all the bike I'll ever need, and I plan on doing some pretty big trips on it. The 919 needs many mods to make that happen but the essentials are there in spades. it makes you feel like a hero when properly modded out, suspension and all.
  11. kingrex

kingrex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not a highway man. Neck is too bad a shape to ride a naked bike on the slab. I ride primarily backroads @ 50-60 mph and easily get 50 mpg. Of course I'm cruising at less than 3,500 rpms. That helps. I'm still amazed that these bikes get scooter mileage. My zrx1200r gets right at 50 mpg with similar riding. My bmw r1200r averages 54 mpg. Who the heck would want to ride a scooter anyway? Jut say'n.
  12. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    If the bolded part said "I ride primarily around town" you'd be "Just say'n"
    "Who wants to ride a manual gearbox around town?!".

:deal
  13. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought until I put a National Cycle screen on it. The bike went from impossible on the highway to totally rideable.

As for putting a screen on a naked bike, that's my choice and would argue till I'm blue in the face about why I got a naked in the first place, because the 919 isn't just a 900RR with the plastic ripped off, it has all the right changes in all the right places.

Stock, it's good at everything, best at nothing.

Properly modified, it's best at everything!
  14. kingrex

kingrex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 919 has the honda fly screen. I think it makes some difference but it is minimal. I'm definitely going to put an adequate windshield on both my 919 and r1200r. I'm not overly concerned about the looks. I certainly don't want a barn door but a nice compromise between function and form. National cycle was my choice too.
  15. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like clean air, no screen/shield for me..........

Had a Honda flyscreen and all it did(IMO) was keep my gauges clean...:lol3
  16. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:

From what I gather I Honda screen doesn't do much. If you want something big enough to make a difference, it's going to look out of place on a naked bike.
  17. arshishb

Oddometer:
    If any of you don't want the Honda fly screen, I will take it :D
  18. Redrock54

Redrock54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    which model national cycle windshield did you use on your 919?:clap
  19. SammyTheSlider

SammyTheSlider You have insufficient privileges to reply here

Oddometer:
    I have the national cycle F-16 and I can tell a difference with it on. I can also tell a difference depending on how it is adjusted. It makes a noticeable difference in helmet buffeting and wind noise. The mount is really sturdy and easy to adjust. I powder coated the brackets black so it matched the rest of powder coated bits on the bike. Doesn't do much to deflect rain though...lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old pics, I have powder coated the triple tree, painted the lower clamp satin black, and wrapped the top part of the forks between the clamps with black-retroreflective vinyl. Also painted the headlight trim ring with plastidip. Sorry for the crappy pics, all I have right now.
  20. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have some BRAND NEW Honda OE windscreens for sale if anyone wants one.......................

[​IMG]