Att Aussie outfit riders...mud and snow tyress

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by 3legs, Feb 14, 2012.

1. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are Very soft in the side walls Rockman :dealThe bro is 3000km into a 7000km ride on the Vredestein tires.
    He blew out a rear tire just after Birdsville .
    He raised the air pressure and no troubles with the tires since . :clap:clap.

I will update some more info when he gets back home . Lucky Bugger .

Cheers Ian

Cheers Ian
  2. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Pops,

Mine performed beautifully. No problems at all. Even lowered the pressure down to around 30 psi (normal 40 psi) for the PDR due to the sand and f@#king corrugations. Still didn't stop the bike from shaking apart but the tyre survived. Worked well on the bitumen as well. Wear rate looks pretty good too. So far seems to have been a good buy.

Later

3legs
  3. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am glad to see that those tires are working out for you guys, I was worried that they might not hold up to the abuse down there.
  4. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Q to those who have a few miles on these tyres.

What pressure have you been using on bitumen?

Circumstances have prevented me for doing much at all on mine, and now it's approaching summer.

Every previous car tyre I've used, I've run around 30-32psi.
    With these, I know the sidewall is really soft, and assume the compound isn't designed for high speed sealed roads, let alone summer.

So, what's the thinking?

Front (bike tyres) I lately run low, around 25psi. I used to use around 30psi.
    Sidecar (bike tyres) varies with load, from 25 to 30psi.

I've never taken much notice of mileage or age.

I've never really taken the time to do much experimentation either.

My prime objective has always been to avoid punctures. I hate punctures. Possibly the worst problem on a bike, 'cause you can see the problem but fixing it is so fraught with tears and frustration.
  5. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Ray

On the trip to Cape York I ran 40 psi in the rear due to the soft sidewalls and because my bike is pretty heavy and it performed really well. Once I got to the PDR I dropped the pressure down to around 27 psi and it made a big difference to the shake rattle and roll of the corrugations (although 1/2 my bike shook itself to pieces:lol3), much nicer to ride on the dirt and seem to grip nicely in the sandy stuff. Didn't have any drama's with them and no noticable wear.

Later

3legs
  6. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    Cheers 3legs. Might bump it up a bit, see how it feels.

I'm in planning for a ride to Mimosa Rocks NP at the end of November (there is a thread on the Australia page for anyone that reckons they could join in). There is no getting around it, there is going to be a fair bit of bitumen, especially through Kosciousko NP. I don't want it falling to pieces on the winding bits between Talbingo and Adaminaby.

I'm just reminded of the day I destroyed a bike tyre (on the back) in the Adelaide Hills. It was already worn out, but that last 50 or so km tore it to shreds - loaded with two kids and camping gear.
  7. tripodtiger

Oddometer:
    I just remembered this thread.

I've only managed 2000km on the tyre to this point (which means the Torance didn't last long on the front:eek1) but I did measure the tread depth at 7mm.

Wear was nice and even across the tread face. I used it on rocky tracks & bitumen up in the Snowy Mts and it hooked up very well. No visible issues with the sidewalls being cut either.
    You can watch the videos in the 'shot from the sidecar' thread, I think. I don't typically ride that conservatively (go hard or go home? Usually with some sort of injury)

My sidecar use has been a bit reduced over the past few months so it will be some time. Probably wont be putting many miles on it for a few months. I'll try and get back to this thread with some more info, 'ron.