The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. bdolnik

bdolnik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this is going to be a stupid question, but can someone explain what the 13T front sprocket does without going into ratios and whatnot? Really what I want to know is, does it allow the CRF to pull the front wheel off the ground in 1st gear without popping the clutch?
  2. Dirtchuck

Dirtchuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not w just the 13
  3. trainman

trainman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If 15T is ok and 14T is better, then 13T must be wonderful.:clap

John
  4. Boismj03

Boismj03 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are you base numbers for the EJK? Mine is on the way from Dobeck performance. I dont plan on adding an exuast. From your enthusiasm I would say it will be just fine. Have you taken it on the highway? 60+ mph? Mine seems to run out of steam at 65 mph full throttle in 6th with only the 13T sprocket. I am fixing on doing the same mods to the airbox when it gets here.
  5. Dago52

Dago52 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was able to lift the front wheel with just the 13t front sprocket. I have also added a 43t sprocket to the rear and it pulls hard. For my riding, the 13/43 is perfect so far and I was able to use the stock chain. If you are looking at sprockets, I highly recommend sprocket center. Chad is a great guy and shipping was super fast.

good luck
  6. billfires

billfires Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took the bike on the highway for the first time this morning. I only went 1 exit which was aprox. 3-4 miles, (with only 350 miles on the odometer). I could not maintain 65 mph with the stock 14/40 gearing. I am about 300 lbs with all my gear and am wide enough that I need extensions on the stock mirrors. I do not plan on regularly riding on highways but thought if I went with a 13 tooth counter sprocket I would be OK when I have to. I am aprehensive that with your experience that this is not going to solve this minor problem. Iwas originally thinking about a 14/47 setup and being able to put the 13 on when doing tight offroad trails. I guess I will try the 13 tooth C/S sprocket and hope it works. Bill C
  7. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    My experience was that the bike "loosens up" after a while, and revs better, ect. Maybe wait to decide on mods before you get past the 600 mile service, and start abusing it a bit. Mine has around 1,150 miles on it, and it has a lot more pep now. That said, the 13t is going on tomorrow. I will ride it for a while before deciding if either a 42, or 43 is going on the rear. From what I've read, both will work with the stock chain, 13t, as opposed to leaving the 14t on, and going bigger in the rear.
    Ham46 likes this.
  8. kiwi5

kiwi5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure what the base numbers are, I will have to pull the seat off to check but they are whaever the EJK team set them at. As far as highway top speed goes, I weigh around 190lbs plus gear and the bike gets up to 120kph very easily now. Beforehand, (with the 13t sprocket) my top speed was around 115kph and it struggled a bit to get there. The power improvement is very linear now, certainly the biggest improvement is in the low/mid range. I change into 2nd far faster now and you can really feel huge power at the change into second. I am a couple of hours away from going out to slay some gravel roads and I'm picking a decrease in fuel efficiency but there is always a trade off. As long as I can go 150kms without having to fuel up I will be happy, as most of the great rides around my neck of the woods have a petrol station at that range. I may still change to a 42T lightweight rear sprocket, but I need to put another 1000kms of varied off road riding before I make that decision. Attention all CRF250L riders: ORDER A FUEL TUNER ASAP!!
  9. Normsthename

Normsthename n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Phil
    Thanks for the Info, which exhaust did you actually fit?
    Fancy one that's not too loud :D

Andy
  10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use one frequently. Not only for the TAT but if I'm routing out a ride on some back roads, I'll put the roads, turns and mileage on roll chart paper. Makes some think I know the area quite well. LOL
  11. RayMurdock

RayMurdock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been reading this forum some months and just got my CRF250L today. I was surprised about the fun one can have leaving the tarmac. This bike steers so quick..compared to my former >liter bikes.

The Dobeck EFI has been ordered along w/Arrow exhaust and 13T is coming next week. Double Take fold-away mirrors where pricey but nice. Still awaiting real result charts before fiddling with the airbox, it seems about sound instead of performance.

Thanks for sharing all these info on this nice bike :clap

(Got the Zeta Impact X1 hand-guards but will return them, they do not fit the stock bar).
  12. kiwi5

kiwi5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Highly recommend you do the basic snorkel & spark arrestor screen removal with you EJK - you will need the extra air to compliment the extra fuel the EJK will give the engine. I absolutely noticed a performance increase with the airbox mods. But then again, was I influenced by the extra noise?? I will call EJK and report back.
  13. Boismj03

Boismj03 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks m8
  14. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    For hardpack, rocks, and pavement? Kenda K270. Some people are getting over 10K miles out of this inexpensive and capable rear tire. Mine even propels my DR650 in powdery sugarsand, even if it's no paddle tire. Many don't like the front K270 in paved turns though, as it squirms when leaned over. I don't notice this issue with the rear K270.
  15. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Kenda K270 and Shinko SR244 are good tires on dry, hard surfaces. :nod However, don't take these tires into the mud, where they are terrible. :deal

Spud :beer
  16. kiwi5

kiwi5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am planning on a 270 rear, for the mainly gravel roads I ride I'm not sure what to go with on the front however....I've got a set of MotoZ Tractionators for serious offroad but maybe a Pirelli MT21 Rally Cross on the front for the gravel would be good.
  17. kiwi5

kiwi5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, Pirelli rallycross rear it will be, great news that the Tractionator front works good on the road!
  18. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam

that's the Tractionator I/T, great traction but didn't last too long, the Desert H/T is awesome for dry conditions and lasts a lot longer. Good on pavement too, front and rear.

I/T new

[​IMG]

800 miles

[​IMG]

Desert H/T, probably 1000 miles on this one.

[​IMG]

Different bikes so not a direct comparison, but the H/T will last longer and is good on pavement if you ride in only dry conditions. Next time around we'll try the Tractionator H/T on the LRP to see how it compares to a D606, Very happy with the Scorpion XC front for now, though I liked the Tractionator front too.... lots of good choices now a days for DOT tires!
  19. xjon

xjon Pedantic Bastard

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG]recently purchased a 250l and had a great day on the trail. However dismounting from a hitch rack at home was its first fall (with me) and broke the lever clamp. I know I can just replace the clamp part but I would like to replace the levers with ASV or something (2-3 fingers). I do not know what I need specifically since Ive never looked at replacing one before. I got confused with all the selections such as with or with out hot starts???

Also I would need a mirror mount also and was thinking of folding ones. Any recommendations?

I would also like to get the beefy hand guards and would like to know if anyone here has a combination of all of these together and if they like or dislike the setup.

thanks in advance.
  20. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    Highway Dirt Bike has some of the strongest hand guards with good integrated mirrors out there. :deal

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/

can't help you with levers beyond OEM, it's a dirt bike, no idea what ASV is... perfect example of what getting ride of those OEM mirror is a good idea though. One fall away from breaking other crap.

Welcome to the asylum of CRF 250L owners.