The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:

Actually, I think it has nothing whatsoever to do with any boxes or side cases...

It has to do with the centerstand, and you can readily check this yourself. The centerstand won't touch down while cornering before the footpeg on the right side, so it gets no curb-feeler button. However, on the left side the if the curb-feeler button wasn't mounted to the footpeg the centerstand arm would touch down while cornering long before the footpeg, meaning you would get no warning before the centerstand levered your rear wheel off the ground and sent you crashing off into the bushes. With the curb-feeler button the left-peg touches down before the centerstand, giving you a warning that hard parts will hit soon that can cause a crash.

You can easily see it yourself by simply leaning your S-10 over each way in the driveway.

Just FYI...

Dallara

~
  2. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just passing on what I read. Maybe it is just a happy coincidence it works for both. :D
  3. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Umm, excuse me Mister Pot........

[​IMG]
  4. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just looked at mine and there is a feeler on the left peg, nothing on the right.:dunno
  5. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:

I knew that was coming... :lol3

There I was, moving outta' my old shop and having to haul bikes, and thought an XR1200 on a trailer with a Ducati Desmosedici would make for some cool pictures! However, I don't think my Super Tenere has ever been on a trailer of any kind... :clap

I still wish I had bought stock in some trailer companies!

Dallara

~
  6. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, when they're bad they're still good and when they're good they're really.......
    Oh who am I kidding? I don't remember. What was the question?
  7. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Peg feeler or whatever the heck it is, is only fitted to the left peg, nothing on the right, so no it has not fallen off, just was never there from the factory.
  8. Wayward Sun

Wayward Sun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but that XR1200 is still pretty bad ass....
  9. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

This. ^^^

10. hayfarmer

hayfarmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RonKZ is right . They dont have a peg feeler on the right side, so you have to watch out for your pannier overhang.,,,,,,,good idea to check this at home with a mate to help tip the bike and check. :lol3

Brian
  11. TH

TH There and Here

Oddometer:

Ouch on the wreck... That was MIkef500, I found some postings from him confirming this. Per his postings:

1) Bike is "Obliterated"
    2) He is OK, gear saved him

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21305691&postcount=59037
  12. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ouch!! I saw the pics, poor bike... glad Mike is ok.
  13. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. RideAbout

RideAbout Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    Glad he walked away virtually unscathed!

That crash guard system hanging low and wide looks to be the culprit.... shower of sparks from those well before the panniers started to drag.
  15. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The animation is more entertaining:

http://s267.photobucket.com/user/Mikef5000/media/CrashGIF.gif.html

Here's the scoop:

(OEM only put a peg feeler on the left, because the center stand will drag earlier on the left)

Before this Monday's Dragon trip, I hadn't ridden twisties with my newly added Rumbux and Panniers. Full disclosure, the peg did touch first, but the hard parts followed quickly... like very quickly... as in, if you've got a Rumbux and you're dragging a peg you are a tiny fraction of an inch away from a lowside.

Learn from my mistake, don't drag pegs with a Rumbux!

I blamed the panniers at first, and I do think they dragged at almost the same time, but further inspection of the pictures, and looking at the non-crashing hard-leaning pictures from Killboy, show the Rumbux as the ultimate culprit.

For riding off road, I'll maintain that the Rumbux is the best of the best. But if you ride hard on road as well, the decreased available lean angle is good information to have.

I will say that where the last picture ends was the extent of my fall (without a scratch or bruise), but only the beginning for the bike. It continued tumbling as it rolled about 200 feet down the mountain. Getting it back up was a challenge, but we managed. The dealership quit doing a repair estimate when they passed the $16,000 mark.

I pulled my luggage, got a rental car, and headed the 400 miles home.

All things considered, everything's gone great; from the towing, to the dealership, to insurance.

Unfortunately I won't be able to replace it right away, but I do foresee getting another S10. The new KTM Adventure 1190 looks very nice, but it also looks pricey, and it's got a stupid chain, and the old KTM Adventure 990 can be had as new-old-stock locally for extremely reasonable prices, but the maintenance/chains/tubes all scare me a bit.
  16. japako

japako Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike, glad you made it out ok.:clap You can always buy another bike, but broken bones are tough to deal with..
  17. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    As requested, here is my bracket. As you can tell my day job is manufacturing bespoke parts for Moto GP and WSB bikes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and just for the anti-steering damper types, I have had this damper fitted to any number of my bikes, such as Africa Twin, KTM 640 Adventure, and my 660 Ténére. I really find that it helps when riding off-road especially with luggage and Mrs Tim on the back. Maybe if I were an off-road riding god with over eighty years experience and several world championships under my belt I wouldn't need one, but I'm not and I fully accept that I need all the help I can get! You will notice that all of the bikes that I have previously fitted it to all have 21 inch front wheels so I would expect that the damper will be even more of a help with the 19 inch front wheel on the Super Ténére.
  18. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also glad you are OK Mike! There are so many ways that could've gone worse.

But you were also a smart guy, being ATGATT!
    :clap
    How about posting up photos and descriptions of your gear and how it/you fared?

btw - Back to a KLR for now?
  19. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a buffer you can borrow. I think that's all it really needs.:wink:

Again, glad the body is fine.:thumb