South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JDowns, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap You are so right about this, applying for a US or Canada visa is like going through a third degree interrogation , it means giving up your right of privacy and it cost you a lot of money

You're wrong my friend, not everybody wants or needs to get there ! I've been there more then 20 times , it always was just temporarily...and "I always left (more then) a few almighty dollars there in the process.."
    And even so I get always the same stupid and insulting questions at the airport or at the border :ruskie
    If you treat somebody badly, you can not expect to be treated properly in return
  2. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Originally Posted by Adv Grifter [​IMG]
    "We're seeing more and more Visa restrictions from countries all over the world ... It's simply reciprocity against restrictive and punitive US immigration policies ... which have been in place for years."

Immigration and Visas are not the same thing. Tens of millions wanting to suck on the great deficit funded sugar tit is not the same as visiting another country.
  3. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Bingo! I have friends in Mexico City (of modest means) who have US travel visas good for 10 years. I must renew my Mexico visa every 6 months.

Hopefully John can find a way into Venezuela and report back soon.
  4. estebansos

estebansos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh my dear friends. The US Visa. What a tedious process that is.

https://ceac.state.gov/GENNIV/Default.aspx

Take a look at that. See the required documents. Its quite extensive. Although I must say its not hard, and it just took me 3 days to complete that questionary. Afterwards I payed 160 USD and had to program an appointment for an interview. Its next wednesday and will let you know how it goes. Brazil and Argentina also have the reciprocity law. Argentinians had a time where there was no need for a visa to the states, migration was major.

Cucuta is a major trading post. When I crossed that border, I had to go and get my passport stamped at the Airport lying to the official! Then ride back to the border and cross. Paperwork was easy but lines were huge. Took me all day. This was 07.

I still dont get it with venezuela. Hope you arrange your travels ok and if you need anything I have heard lots of riders post here. Safe travels and keep it wise.
  5. estebansos

estebansos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mean to tell us you didnt see the border post right between the endless line of trucks and vendors on both sides of the dirt road?:rofl
  6. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    I absolutely love how you guys keep this ride report going while I'm goofing off. Kudos!

The power went out last night in Riohacha. Bummer. No internet.

Left this morning thinking I would ride like a banshee and head up into the hills. The weather looked threatening down south in the mountains.

After 100 miles I reached Santa Marta and realized I needed some pesos so headed over to Taganga where I knew the place. Oh my God! I couldn't leave. Checked the internet weather and it looked crappy south of here. That's all I needed to check in to the Techo Azul hostel. Yes it has a blue roof.

I'm the only one here in the men's dormitory cell. Once again 30,000 pesos (17.00) for the night. Yes, I'm heading to Venezuela. And yes, I will get in somehow. I'm just taking my time.

more later...
  7. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey JDowns, I'd like to make a request (once you have decent bandwidth again). More pictures of food! I work at Trader Joes and see women all day, no care for photos of them, I want food.
  8. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    That was the case several years back when Chavez got into a dispute with Uribe and closed the border for commerce... It is not the case anymore since around 2010. But DO NOT try to cross the border in Carnivals or Easter Week !
  9. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    Speak for yourself... The rest of us have lot's of restaurants close by :lol3
  10. trespalacios

trespalacios Oh libertad

Oddometer:

+1!!!!!
  11. trespalacios

trespalacios Oh libertad

Oddometer:
    With Silviu. I seem to live in the restaurant district...
  12. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi Clem Kevin,

I eat to ride, so not a lot of great photos to show you. They sell yogurt in plastic bags in Colombia, so this morning's breakfast consisted of a liter plastic bag of yogurt con fresas (strawberrys) and three bananas. Not terribly photogenic I'm afraid. Although when you bite the end off the yogurt bag it does take you back to your infancy. Sort of like nursing on a big plastic boob.

I did stop down this evening and have another falafel:

[​IMG]

and some baba ganoush:

[​IMG]

at the middle eastern restaurant in town. Followed by a mango:

[​IMG]

for dessert. Alas, there are no Trader Joe's down here, so it's catch as catch can food wise.

Saludos,
    Juan Epicure
  13. JDowns

Oddometer:
    And for those like Silviu who have abundant restaurants nearby I give you pics of fun loving people walking by while I was eating:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spent 64500 pesos (36.86) today on food, gas and lodging.

Hasta Mañana,
    Juan Taganga

johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com
  14. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Food is sometimes highly overrated.:rofl:D
  15. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice Twinstar.
  16. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Good eye Klay,

That fellow pulled up as I was eating and left a while later. I could tour on a twinstar if I had to. That's a bulletproof motor.

Saludos,
    Juan Honda
  17. Dirtbauer

Dirtbauer KB

Oddometer:
    Excellent RR John. The photos are getting better. Thanks for the scenery.

Kurt
  18. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi Kurt,

Glad to have you along for the ride.

Saludos,
    Juan Paparazzi
  19. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I've got to read about that. Sounds amazing.
  20. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Desculpe, it reads WE'D (US Citizens) would only want to go THERE (Latin America) temporarily - I'm being flippant (siempre el payaso) - sorry that didn't come across. Trust me when I say I know the Latin American people. I've been in the family for about 33 years now. Been through a LOT of stuff in that time. Now entering the dawn of grandparenting. The Latin American lifestyle is superior in my way of thinking, or shall I say I feel quite honored to be an integral part of it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.