What's the Worst peice of equipment you've ever bought?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Scrubs, Nov 14, 2007.

1. R.Markus

R.Markus Damage Addict

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you had them on inside out. :lol3
  2. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, I love mine.. Just tilt my head, and I've got something to block the sun with, otherwise it's totally out of sight.
  3. Hank.SD

Hank.SD Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wayne Dalton I-Drive garage door openers. They look so nice sitting up above the door with no ceiling clutter. Constant adjusting to keep them working. Finicky POSs. Found out the tech support is worthless too. The dumb bastards didn't even know the error codes and that there is a fuse inside them.
  4. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
    [FONT=&quot]+1

I will chime in for my neighbor on this one. He brought 2 of those home and I thought they were the cats meow until we got them up and mounted. No exaggeration, one was DOA right out of the box and the other one worked for a day and a half. Multiple calls to customer service and tech support, they sent out a total of 4 separate computer boards, ALL of which would not program properly. Finally he boxed them back up and returned them to Menards. What an absolute waste of time that was. I am astounded that they still sell them.

[/FONT]
  5. skag

skag No Monkeys

Oddometer:
    '88 Ford Bronco II
    Vile piece of worthless shit. I'm still pissed.
    Will NEVER buy anything Ford ever again.
  6. NJ-GS

NJ-GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A "half helmet." Bought it before I really got into motorcycling and because it was on sale! Never wore it while on a bike. Gave it away to a Harley type.
  7. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    "You don't pay a hooker for sex. You pay her to leave." - C. Sheen (attributed):lol3
  8. DualSpaz

DualSpaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I've had mine for about a year and a half, not a single problem,never made an adjustment.
  9. Kurt

Kurt Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

Took it off within 10 miles. Distorted my vision so bad I could not read signs!
  10. Tall Man

Tall Man Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?

Oddometer:
    1995 Jeep Wrangler SE, purchased new. Last year for the square headlights. 4 cyl, 5 speed.

One morning, I started the Jeep to go to work. While it idled, I heard a knocking that was reminiscent of an idling diesel engine. There was barely 1K miles on the odometer. The interior still smelled new.

Took it to the selling dealer's service dept. They couldn't have been more welcoming.
    Diagnosis: "Piston slap". The cylinders were not bored correctly at the factory, which allowed for lateral piston movement.
    Prognosis: Treatable.
    Treatment: Replace short block.
    One week later, I returned the rental car to pick up the Jeep. (Said rental was fully comped by the dealer.) The Wrangler started and ran fine. One of the interior wheel wells was rather scratched up. Oh well.

'Bout 1.5K miles later, the now-recognizable piston slap sound manifested itself again. Took it to the selling dealer's service dept. They couldn't have been more dismissive. At the time, I had neither the time nor the money (and I would have needed both) necessary to fight with them regarding a second short block or even a prorated buy-back. A professional, if strongly-worded letter to Corporate explaining the issue did not provide any satisfaction.

Long story longer: I held on to the Jeep for a few more months, and sold it to another dealership (in another part of the State) for ~$600.00 more than I owed on the note. They had time to test drive the vehicle and run the VIN (I don't know if they took the latter action), so I didn't say much beyond, "Do you want to buy it?" At the time, Wranglers were red hot sellers and dealers couldn't keep them on the lot. Mine was in as-new condition, at least aesthetically. Sold!

There was too much MOPAR in the Wrangler then, and there's too much of it in today's version (which gets more pussified with the introduction of each subsequent generation.)

TM
  11. Nitzo

Nitzo Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

95' 4.OL Sahara for me. It sounded like a diesel when you started it. Story was the pistons would slap so hard, they would break the skirts.

Other than the Jeep, another POS I have bought was a Sargent seat, I'll never own another.
  12. quota

quota Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PIAA Extreme White Plus bulb. Supposed to make the equivalent of a 110W headlight bulb, yet still only uses 55W.

Absolutely no noticeable difference over the stock bulb. $48.95 wasted.
  13. DLGraham

DLGraham Adventurer

Oddometer:
    how about an Answer Products "roost boost" for MX bikes, split fire plugs, dual throttles for snowmobiles, the list could go on and on
  14. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Real Doll. $4,000 and she just lays there like my wife. What a lousy lay.

In all seriousness, some of the products mentioned I've had good luck with. The chain-brush doohickey works great if you take it apart first and epoxy the brushes to the handle...they were loose enough new I knew it might be an issue. Still working like a charm.

And, I've got several things from Harbor Freight that work fantastic...certainly worth what pittance I paid for them. Some stuff there you can just figure out is a POS but I have some hand tools and assorted goodies I've picked up that have been just great.
  15. Icewalker

Icewalker Conundrum

Oddometer:
    Trex decking as installed by a local "trex gold contractor" ... what a load of pure unadulterated crap. Not only did the deck look like a four year old had bought it ... Trex the company wouldn't even offer any remedial action.

Fuck em ... Trex sucks .. don't ever buy it .. got with one of the other products if you want composite decking.
  16. HaySeed

HaySeed total poser

Oddometer:
    Troy Bilt chipper vac. Where do I start? The thing started rattling parts off itself on the first day. It's a directdrive no clutch, a big dry branch will stop it butt cold. The blades were sharp out of the box but after a day of use they needed to be resharpend. You have to take the whole front end off to get at the blades, they are attatched not by plow bolts. You have to pick all the shit and debis out of one side to get an allen wrench on it, then weasle the other hand into the bowels of the machine to get at the nut and unscrew it, one quarter turn at a time. It only has two blades and it should have four. It only has a six hp engine and it should be a ten. It should pick up leaves as it rolls itself forward, instead you have to drag it backwards. It won't pick up pine cones on a dare but it will suck up a ten dollar glove or dog toy and turn it into space dust. You can dump black walnuts down the chute and it will actually hurl them back at you at speed. I took a sawzall and cut the plastic saftey chute off, now I can actually shove branches into it. I took the nose off of it and covered the hole with plywood, and the catch bag is gone as well. now it almost functions as a chipper. I should have spent the money on a chipper I could poke onto the back of the tractor, as it stands I may as well have thrown 800 bucks into the wind.

Fuckin' thing. Hmmm I fell much better now.
  17. Beamklamp

Beamklamp TACOCAT

Oddometer:

We have a word of the day (WOTD) winner!!! Congratulations.

Now I need to work that into some conversations here at work. :clap
  18. Bacon_Grease

Bacon_Grease Arrogant Bastard

Oddometer:
    The got danged Hennessy Hammock. I love hammocks, but that thing was a fuckin' joke. And an expensive one at that.

19. Bacon_Grease

Oddometer:
    This post is USELESS without PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. Bacon_Grease

Oddometer:
    Bronco II's are all serious pieces of shit...

The REAL Bronco, though... those are THE shit! I loved mine!