Air Rifle Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by GordonFreeman, Jul 3, 2011.

1. BerndM

BerndM Shiftless One

Oddometer:
    Did these poor turtles do something to offend you? :huh :cry
  2. JRP

JRP Old guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Truly WTF! I didn't know there was a hunting season for turtles.
  3. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Turtles make fishing a problem. They also eat your fish in the stringer. And they have taken my ducks when I used to duck hunt. So many of us tent to control the population in our fishing ponds.

Rod
  4. goosecreek

goosecreek Ashes ashes all fall down Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod when my daughter was four we went to Jake day at a local pond they had stocked with trout . She caught a lovely trout only to find it half eaten when we pulled the stringer out of the pond. That made for a long ride home who knew it was my fault.
  5. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    There has been in Missouri.
  6. 4ad

4ad ochlacrat

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a Stoeger x20 suppressed (true suppressor) breakbarrel in 22 cal for a squirrel,raccoon&possum problem in my urban backyard...its very quiet (sounds like a staple gun) after a hundred or so rounds for break-in.

I've since upgraded to a 3x12 scope w/light&laser and did a trigger mod...it now shoots quarter size 10 shot groups at 20 yds, which is my normal max shot range...couldn't be happier with it!

[​IMG]
  7. RedRocker

RedRocker Native Texican Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found a promo video of a guy shooting that Stoeger touting it's quietness and he was wearing ear plugs. :lol3
  8. Hot Dog Stu

Hot Dog Stu Known Egger

Oddometer:
    Gamo.

I am a squirrel sniper.

[​IMG]
  9. jiggliemon

jiggliemon Nobody

Oddometer:
    i bought a rws diana 34 panther rifle about a year ago and it is a nice rifle. i got it so i could eliminate a couple of groundhogs that were wrecking my garden and rose bushes. i was too unsure of my skills to attempt to take one out last year but i did a lot of target shooting/plinking last summer/fall and honed my skills a bit. anyway, i finally took aim at my first varmint groundhog about two weeks ago and i nailed it with a head shot which lead to a clean death BUT i took aim at a second one the next day and even though i hit it in the head, it did not die right away... it was gurgling/ rasping for breath and crawling away and i had to reload and shoot it again at close range. it was not a pleasant experience... i still shudder at it. for now on i will not take aim at another critter with my air rifle... maybe i'm a pussy but it really had an affect on me. i felt so bad for that creature for those few minutes.
  10. fz6kd7

fz6kd7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Groundhogs are too tough for air rifles
    You must have made a perfect hit
  11. Mr. B

Mr. B "Cogito ergo zoom"

Oddometer:
    Not true. I have done it myself.
  12. UnderNewOwnership

UnderNewOwnership Thread Slayer

Oddometer:
    If you want to poke holes in things which scream and bleed, go with 5.5 mm (.22). 4.5 mm (.177) doesn't always get the job done.
  13. Mr. B

Mr. B "Cogito ergo zoom"

Oddometer:
    See post #30 in this thread.
  14. jiggliemon

jiggliemon Nobody

Oddometer:
    Well, i'm a perfect man.
  15. 4ad

4ad ochlacrat

Oddometer:
  16. UnderNewOwnership

UnderNewOwnership Thread Slayer

Oddometer:
    Why risk it? I mean, yeah, .177 might work well for ~80% of cases, but why not go for that extra 20%? There's no real money reason; ammunition cost difference is very small.
  17. jiggliemon

jiggliemon Nobody

Oddometer:
    for what it's worth... it's the .22 cal version of the rifle and i was using rws super h-point pellets.
  18. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    Skin em out, toss em in the pressure cooker and let it cook them off the bone and then pull the meat off the bones and pour in your favorite BBQ sauce, let it simmer on low heat and serve.
    You would be surprised just how tasty it is.

I grew up in my Uncles house and he was the proverbial redneck before the term was coined, we ate nearly anything. He drew the line at Possums or so he claimed I wouldn't bet he didn't mix one into a coon pot once or twice. :lol3

No more feeling bad you are the apex predator. Rule at our house, if you shoot it, you better plan on eating it. The wife will cook nearly anything! :deal
  19. Bun-bun

Bun-bun Long timer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a really nice Beeman Tempest yesterday. I had one when I was younger, and always enjoyed firing it.
    It was part of a package deal, along with a Beretta 92f compact and a couple of AR-15's. I'm certain I'll be putting more rounds through the Beeman than through any of the others.:D
  20. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a concensus on "bang for buck" in this thread? Is there a KLR of Air rifles? My only exposure was 40 years ago with a Crosman 760 and 30 years ago with a Crosman 454 CO2 pistol. Sure those German ones look great but are priced accordingly.