Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:
    Cool! Hope you get good weather.

I'm not good at this, so waive this advice in favor of that from anyone else...

Comfy rules...

Fuel CONSTANTLY...

Go slow. Let the freak show roll. Even a big dude like me rolls past racer corpses cramped up and whited out by the roadside at 100miles if he rolls on the down low with lots of high grade fuel and liquid, and a few nicely timed stops for stretches, pics, and vids sent to the family by cellphone.

Have fun!
  2. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    My knowledge is 20+ years old so I'll keep it most of it to myself. Just pace yourself, keep the fluids flowing and stay fueled up with food. 100-miles is easy if you're in decent shape and you'll only have a little more than that. We did it without hardly any advice - our centuries and doubles were difficult but as I found out, common sense rules as long as you don't wait too long to address any particular issue. Little problems have a way of becoming huge issues otherwise. You'll do great and I'm looking forward to a ride report.
  3. Bimble

Bimble In giro in moto

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Have fun! I'm patiently awaiting spring for the first of this year's centuries.
  4. Bimble

Bimble In giro in moto

Oddometer:
    :ear

Mine's in and I'm on the list!

I'll be on my Safari. Can't think of a reason not to ride it, but I have been eyeballing the A. Homer Hillson again. :lol3

Hope to see you there!
  5. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    I didn't get my postcard in the mail until the 3rd, but it sounds like he's taking everybody that gets a card in this month. I hope. :D

We'll see if I can get through ski season without buying anything stupid. I'd really like to do these races on a Kona Major One. :evil
  6. Bimble

Bimble In giro in moto

Oddometer:
    I did not appreciate the fact the first time you mentioned it that this is a single-speed bike.

:eek1
  7. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:

I'm faster on 'em. I end up killing myself on geared bikes trying to push to big of a gear. Usually I've got enough brute strength to stomp up most midwestern hills before somebody with the aerobic capacity to spin up them passes me. :dunno

Plus they tend to keep trucking along alot smoother when the surface turns to peanut butter. :lol3
  8. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    try our hills on weak knees!
  9. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Single speeds rock the unpaved not-terribly-vertical don't-really-need-to-cover -distance-quickly world!
  10. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Same with recumbents.. :lol3
  11. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:

By "unpaved not-terribly-vertical don't-really-need-to-cover -distance-quickly world", you obviously mean midwest mountain bike races, right? :lol3
  12. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:
    Or anything I do.
  13. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:
    Uphill, true. :lol3

Flats and downhill - a recumbent can warp the space time continuum.

There's a big dude around here in a completely enclosed recumbent that slips through atmosphere like an Advrider goes through a plate of bacon.

Bike must weigh 50lbs, but even high-end pacelines have difficulting staying with him.
  14. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Recumbent racing looks like fun.

You'd imagine a paceline like this would move pretty fast..

[​IMG]
  15. RogueClimber

RogueClimber Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Is that a pace line or a circle jerk? :lol3
  16. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    I`am a total Bike geek, I have to many well not really, but I would not ride a recumbent to scary. I`am not a pussy but those things look like they would hurt me, how the hell do you corner like I do on a regular bike, I need to put my knee out there :evil :evil
  17. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    As a bike geek, you should know that lower center of gravity would allow more stable cornering at speed or during lean.
  18. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:
    Looks like a buncha ol' fat guys out taking the tri-bi-boy for a ride.
  19. zippy

zippy Southside of the Sun

Oddometer:
    Friend just had his Soma Saga frame and fork show at the local LBS. Really looks much better in person than on the web. Sorry didn't get any pictures. Will after the build is complete though. Nice frame and fork for the money at first glance.
  20. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:

I've ridden a few recumbs and to be honest, even though I know the COG is lower (as is your butt), there's also the leg weight being much higher than usual. I think we have a lot of weight in our legs, and when I'm high speed cornering I sometimes dig/push my pedals (like I do my pegs on a moto) for shifting my COG into a turn. Sort of sliding out my down pedal and pushing (side of bike outside of the corner/turn).

If that were the case (recumbs being better handling in turns), race bikes (motorcycles) would be recumbents like Dan Gurney's Alligator so that they could corner faster, am I right?